Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Rice in poo not worms!

• 05-09-2011 8:25pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3

Hello,
    I'm looking for some advice please, I have a rescue puppy now 4 months, since i have her, her poo has been runny. She is being fed James Wellbeloved Turkey & Rice dry kibble. Over the past few months I have noticed what look like bunches of small grains of rice in her poo, not every poo. The vet has taken a sample and it came back negative for worms he was sure it was even though she has been regulary wormed.

I am still waiting on her bloods to come back. Has anyone experienced this before? She is in fantastic form really fit and bouncy but is very thin and always hungry which ties in with worms but the tests were all clear.

Any advice appreciated.
    Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,045 ✭✭✭✭tk123

She could be allergic to rice?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,949 ✭✭✭Cherry Blossom

I went off to the vet with a bag of puppy poo when my dog was 4 months with little white round things in it :rolleyes:

Turned out they were undigested raw peas I'd be giving her as treats :o

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 abelmoon

Thanks Guys.

Because i'm trying to find a cause for the runny poo I don't give her any other foods and use her food as treats. Never thought that she could be allergic to rice!

Is there a food that doesn't contain rice? Hopefully it is as simple as that and the bloods come back clear. She is a fab dog and my kids adore her!

There's LOADS that don't have rice. The sensitive ones from Hills and RC for starters which may be an option if the poo has been runny for a long time just to settle it and then you can slowly switch to something else. I have my dog on RC sensitivity for the last 2 weeks as he had a bit of a tummy bug and the poo firmed up pretty much instantly - I think he has a prob with the rice in his food (Luath) so slowly adding more Luath in each day to see what happens.
    Burns do a Pork and Potato and there's loads of other foods that use different carb sources like eg maize or potato or are even grain free. Take a look at zooplus.ie (compare prices with zooplus.co.uk if you're going to buy any) and you can look at the ingrediants in the different foods.
    Another thing that could be causing the poo to be runny is the protein levels in the food - especially if it's puppy food as the levels would be higher.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 abelmoon

Hi Tk123,
    She's on the JWB Junior, although the vet has her on a food called Dry ID for the next few days. Her poo this morning looked hard but was still very soft when I picked it up.

After 3 kids I never thought I would ever be posting on a board about dog poo :) thanks a million for your advice, i'll let you know how it goes.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,772 ✭✭✭✭Whispered

I went off to the vet with a bag of puppy poo when my dog was 4 months with little white round things in it :rolleyes:

I recently handed a lunchbox full of cat pee to my vet. :) I'm sure he was as flattered by my thoughtful gift as yours was by your thoughtful gift.

(do you ever get the feeling your vet thinks you're a little bit mad?)

Whispered wrote: »
    I recently handed a lunchbox full of cat pee to my vet. :) I'm sure he was as flattered by my thoughtful gift as yours was by your thoughtful gift.

hehehehe I had a plastic takeaway box of dog wee at the vets there a few months ago. She complimented me on our discreet black poo bags and was delighted that we'd come with the sample - I just assumed if he had a suspected urinary problem we should take a sample but apparently not everyone thinks of bringing one. :D:D

OP the Hills ID one pretty much the same as RC sensitivity so hopefully the puppy will improve soon.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,132 ✭✭✭Sigma Force

Burns Pork and Potato might be another option.

• Registered Users Posts: 183 ✭✭aisher

My puppy did not do well on JamesWellbeloved - her poo was wet and runny - she is now on a diet of Beta puppy kibble and Nature First - mixed together. Maybe you should change her food and see how she gets on.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,949 ✭✭✭Cherry Blossom

Whispered wrote: »

Everyone thinks I'm a little bit mad, so I've never given it much thought :D

I'm currently half way through changing my dog off JWB as well, 3 months no problem then all of a sudden the last bag starts running through her, very strange. She's just had a little handful of barking heads mixed in with it the last few days, vast improvement!!

• Advertisement
Advertisement