Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

VB.Net Course?

Options
  • 05-09-2011 8:33pm
    Registered Users Posts: 57 ✭✭

Hi,

Can anyone recommend a good online course that i can learn vb.net that includes development for an Oracle database? Or even a good textbook.
    All suggestions greatly appreciated.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,021 ✭✭✭ChRoMe

Honestly, my suggestion is learn C# instead.

• Registered Users Posts: 57 ✭✭bops2042

well i just started a new job and they use vb so it has to be that really :(

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 16,723 Mod ✭✭✭✭yop

Agree with Chrome about c# but if you have no choice then thats the way it is! :)

Any of the MS books are good.

Are you starting from scratch?

Oh right,I dont know of any online structured courses but I think you will be better served looking for Oracle .net training and separate vb training

well i have the basics but i need to refresh everything to be honest.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 577 ✭✭✭Galtee

ChRoMe wrote: »
    Honestly, my suggestion is learn C# instead.

I agree, but technically the only difference between C# and VB.net is the syntax, they are both as powerful as each other with regard to managed code aren't they?

Galtee wrote: »
    I agree, but technically the only difference between C# and VB.net is the syntax, they are both as powerful as each other with regard to managed code aren't they?

Yeah but if you are learning all the examples are most likely to be c#, I'm not a .net developer (only played around with XNA) but it seems like vb is the ugly stepchild of the .net family.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 577 ✭✭✭Galtee

ChRoMe wrote: »
    Yeah but if you are learning all the examples are most likely to be c#, I'm not a .net developer (only played around with XNA) but it seems like vb is the ugly stepchild of the .net family.

Oh Yes. Depends on how many beers type of ugly.

What about the Microsoft .Net certified exams. Would a beginner be capable of doing those? I would learn a lot I would imagine if I studied the books for that…

bops2042 wrote: »
    What about the Microsoft .Net certified exams. Would a beginner be capable of doing those? I would learn a lot I would imagine if I studied the books for that…

Would be quicker and more relevant to your needs, to just do a simple CRUD application. Not everything in certification is going to be directly beneficial.

• Advertisement

ok, do you know of any good tutorials for CRUD app that could help me?

ok, do you know of any good tutorials for CRUD app that could help me?

This is from a 2minute google search, http://www.dotnetwire.com/Articles/Oracle_Database.asp looks like a decent step in the right direction.

How come the company isn't providing any training if you are not a vb dev? Surely there is an existing code base that you can go through to help pick it up?

Also if you dont already use stackoverflow.com, start now.

Great, thanks. Ill take a look at that.
    Oh they are its just I’m not getting up to speed as fast as I would like to. I know it won’t happen overnight but would just like to aid myself to become better if you get me. There is existing code yes but its so large, id prefer to start from scratch to get my head around it.

Great, thanks. Ill take a look at that.
    Oh they are its just I’m not getting up to speed as fast as I would like to. I know it won’t happen overnight but would just like to aid myself to become better if you get me. There is existing code yes but its so large, id prefer to start from scratch to get my head around it.

One of the most important skills required for working professionally as a developer is the ability to navigate and understand code written by someone else, don't be scared away. Ask a senior developer for some pointers on where to start.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,056 ✭✭✭✭BostonB

I've not used them but two places I've thought about using were

http://www.learnvisualstudio.net/
    http://www.innerworkings.com/

Never had the time to look at them though. I did use learnvisualstudio for some SQL reporting. Did the job. But in general I've just ended up just starting writing, making mistakes then asking questions on forums like http://www.experts-exchange.com, or programmers in the office. But I would say thats the wrong way to learn it properly.

but you do learn from mistakes though! ;) thanks for the links. I'll probably be asking questions for a long time! :o

BostonB wrote: »
    I've not used them but two places I've thought about using were

http://www.learnvisualstudio.net/
    http://www.innerworkings.com/

Never had the time to look at them though. I did use learnvisualstudio for some SQL reporting. Did the job. But in general I've just ended up just starting writing, making mistakes then asking questions on forums like http://www.experts-exchange.com, or programmers in the office. But I would say thats the wrong way to learn it properly.

Stay away from experts exchange, its a paid service that isint as good as the free stackoverflow.com

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,056 ✭✭✭✭BostonB

Why the dramatic stay away?

When I was using it, stackoverflow didn't exist, so perhaps its replaced it now. But personally I got some fantastic help on experts. Very useful when I was contracting on my own and needed help with something. You can post a limited amount of questions for free on experts, or earn points to ask more, by answering other questions. Though tbh I just paid the sub, I think it was very little a month. Maybe its changed now.

I can't comment on stackoverflow I've not used it enough. Perhaps experts has got less useful over time I don't know. I haven't used either that much in recent years. So perhaps I'm out of date. Stackoverflow was intended to be a open improved version of experts.

Advertisement