Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Good idea to buy mobile home

• 05-09-2011 9:00pm
    Registered Users Posts: 21

Hi we are looking at a 7 year old mobile home in brittas bay and wonder would it be a good buy .They are asking over 24 k for it .Is it worth it ? and will we get the value out of it .Any advice welcome.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,086 ✭✭✭stapeler

Only you can determine whether or not you'll get the use out of it. As for what its worth, hard to tell but see what similar are selling for. I'm not an expert on the subject but a few things to consider are..
    Are you happy to return to the same place for all your holidays?
    What is the annual rent on the site? How often is it reviewed?
    How long is the season and can it be used out of season?
    Are you obliged to use the site owners contractors for maintenance and repairs..
    If you decide to upgrade mobile do you have to purchase from the site owner/mgmt?
    If you decide to sell, is approval required from the site owner/mgmt? Do they take a fee?

Talk to some of the neighbours and get their opinions on how the site is run and see if they're happy with the place.

I've heard stories where you can only purchase gas from site owner, have to use their contractors for maintenance, new decking etc. These sometimes can be expensive.

• Registered Users Posts: 249 ✭✭minder2009

Yep a mobile home is a fantastic way to spend the summer. hassle free..like a 3 month holiday with all the comforts of home! I bought one for 26k in sept 2008 and its in mullingar beside a beautiful lake..bought a boat ..and spent long days going from one end to the other,..with the kids ...great craic.Unfortunately work prevented family enjoyment the following two summers...with no use I have after long thought ...just decided to put it up for sale.I can tell you with full central heating / double glazing ...even in the rainy weather we get , its great listening to the rain , bouncing off the roof and looking out into the forest , snug as a bug! BE AWARE ..mobile homes depreciate at an unfortunate rate!!My advice do as i did , spend the money initially , you will get years and years of use ..go for heating rads in all rooms..instant hot water...take your time..have a good look look around... Definately , highly recommended...fees vary ..be wary though....where i am , its 1500 good value...closes end sept opens easter....Best of Luck!!Deco

Advertisement