Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tempest 7 - Super Street Fighter 4 - NewPort Cafe Bar, Paul St, Cork - 24/09/11

Options
  • 05-09-2011 9:11pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,333 ✭✭✭

Back to the Newport for Tempest 7!
    This is the first tournament back during the college term so hopefully there'll be a fee new college faces around.
    Anyone in any of the colleges or anything, please spread the word about this tournament! There'll be an entry up on www.streetfighter.ie, so just send everyone there!

Also, if we have enough time/setups I was thinking of running a mini Street Fighter 3 tournament to go along the usual SF4 business. Would anyone be interested in a €5 3S tourney?

Usual SSFIV details:

Entry is €15 to the Street Fighter 4 tournament.
    Casuals and registration start from 11.00. The tournament itself will start at 13.00.

Like last time, this tournament will be run exclusively on Xbox 360s. Sorry all you PS3 boyos. Now might be a good time to invest in a converter.
    There'll be a couple of extra pads on hand for those without, but please bring your own controller of choice if possible.
    Anyone who can bring equipment (Games, consoles, monitors, etc) please do so!

If anyone needs to contact me and wants my mobile number, PM me.

Finally, this event will be seeded based on the results from the previous events. The seed list is currently:

seedpostt6.png

After Tempest 6, I've finally been knocked from the top seed spot! :pac:

Here's a quick map of the venue in relation to the bus and train stations.

SFCorkMap.png

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,333 ✭✭✭Sairus

Rules are as follows

Prize pot will be split 60/30/10 among the top 3 finishers.

A group stage followed by a double elimination stage. Each match in the group stage will consist of 3 games with each game beings best of 3 rounds. The third game of a match in the group stages will only be played in the event of a tie after the second set. If one player wins the first 2 games the third game is not played.

After the group stage is over a draw will take place to determine the first round upper bracket matches of the double elimination stage. Winners of a group will be randomly drawn against the runner ups of other groups. The first round of the lower bracket will also be a random draw from the players who lost in the first round of the upper brackets.

Each match in the double elimination stage will be best of 3 games and each game is best of 3 rounds.

1. All characters are selectable.

2. Custom controllers and button configuration is allowed.

3. Turbo is banned. Anyone who is caught using this feature will be disqualified.

4. Players can change characters in each round of the double elimination phase. However once a match has started they may only change characters in a match after losing a set. The winner of the first set must stick to his character he started the set with and may only change if he loses the second set, in which case the winner of the second set must then stick to the character he used in the second set.

5. Double Blind select available in the event of people being concerned about counter picking. An admin will assist with this if required.

6. Rock, paper, scissors is used in the event of people being unable to agree on which side they want to sit on.

7. In the event of a player pausing a game during a round or his stick/pad fails during a round, he forfeits the round unless both players agree to carry on. If there is a dispute an admin will resolve the dispute.

8. In the event of a game ending in a draw, the game will scrapped and not counted towards the results. It will then be replayed.

9. Players who are overly disruptive during a competition or who are distracting other players can be removed from the tournament at the discretion of the tournament admins.

10. No food can be eaten in the venue that was not bought on the premises.

Also, the videos for Tempest 6 will be up as soon as they're compressed. My laptop does not like doing this part.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 58 ✭✭spacenugget

Gonna try my best to get down to this.

• Registered Users Posts: 142 ✭✭VizardAnto

I'd be interested for the 3s mini tourney :p I'll go to this for that ;) I'll wait for AE 2012 :rolleyes:

Pfft. Excuses. I hadn't played SF4 since the last Tempest (actually, no, I played a few games with Shokashi a few weeks back) and I still got top 5 in both tournaments at T6! :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,363 ✭✭✭Misty Chaos

Yeah, I'll be there this time, hopefully I won't come down with a nasty cold again ( though it could have easily being me going from Barcelona weather back to Irish weather that made me sick. )

I actually haven't played any SF4 either since before I went to Spain as well, being playing ( and sucking at ) 3s since I came back. I'll probably be up for the 3s side tourney then as well, we'll see.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 15,237 Mod ✭✭✭✭FutureGuy

Yeah, I'll be there this time, hopefully I won't come down with a nasty cold again ( though it could have easily being me going from Barcelona weather back to Irish weather that made me sick. )

I actually haven't played any SF4 either since before I went to Spain as well, being playing ( and sucking at ) 3s since I came back. I'll probably be up for the 3s side tourney then as well, we'll see.

Will try to get down for this. Have played about 4 hours of SF4 in about 6 weeks.

FutureGuy wrote: »
    Will try to get down for this. Have played about 4 hours of SF4 in about 6 weeks.

tbh since AE release.....sf4 seems boring :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 320 ✭✭Shokashi

if i am still here then i will come along

VizardAnto wrote: »
    tbh since AE release.....sf4 seems boring :pac:

I know the feeling :(

...but having said that, come to Tempest anyway! :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 151 ✭✭Blood-Martyr

Awesome, I'll try book the day off for this.

Awesome, I'll try book the day off for this.

Good stuff! Forgot to PM you about this last night :)

• Registered Users Posts: 75 ✭✭goodjay

Should be able to make this,cant belive i missed last two:mad:

goodjay wrote: »
    Should be able to make this,cant belive i missed last two:mad:

Don't worry :rolleyes: I've missed two of them as well :pac:

VizardAnto wrote: »
    Don't worry :rolleyes: I've missed two of them as well :pac:

You should both be heartbroken.

In fact, when you show up to this month's one you have to pay the entry fees for the two you missed as well.

Actually, I meant to ask this last time: What are people's thoughts on raising the entrance fee to €15?
    I like the €10 price point myself, but the €75 price tag for the venue really cuts into the prize pool - the grand prize winner barely makes €20 back most times.
    An extra fiver a head would be a fairly significant boost, and as I've mentioned before, some money could then be put back into buying equipment and other tournament stuff. As it stands the prize pool is too small to justify it.

Be honest, if you want it to stay at €10, just say so.
    Tempests are a dictatorship, so I'll make my own mind up either way, but I'd still like to know how you feel about it :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 75 ✭✭goodjay

:eek:15:eek: Im already having to sell my body down the docks just to make up the 10uro. And let me tell you the recession ant helping.cold winter nights on the way two :(

but seriously, nope i wouldn't have a problem paying the extra 5.Cash for equipment and stuff sounds good :)

• Registered Users Posts: 86 ✭✭wtfbenson

Sairus wrote: »
    Actually, I meant to ask this last time: What are people's thoughts on raising the entrance fee to €15?
    I like the €10 price point myself, but the €75 price tag for the venue really cuts into the prize pool - the grand prize winner barely makes €20 back most times.
    An extra fiver a head would be a fairly significant boost, and as I've mentioned before, some money could then be put back into buying equipment and other tournament stuff. As it stands the prize pool is too small to justify it.

Be honest, if you want it to stay at €10, just say so.
    Tempests are a dictatorship, so I'll make my own mind up either way, but I'd still like to know how you feel about it :pac:

I have no issues with a 15 dollar price point. It would be cool if we could get an MVC mini tourney instead of sf3, but I realize I'm in the minority on that one. :D
    Oh, and I'll be there, just as bad at AE as last time.

wtfbenson wrote: »
    I have no issues with a 15 dollar price point. It would be cool if we could get an MVC mini tourney instead of sf3, but I realize I'm in the minority on that one. :D

What :P ur good with elena so lets stick to 3rd Strike lol.......

tbh I wouldn't mind a mvc3 mini or even some HDR mini tourneys or if there not enough ppl for them just have money match amongst each other would be the next best thing :pac:

Ok I think I know why I started hating on AE cause I can't play that game at all on Stick........went back to pad and like it....... Can play 3rd S and ST with stick but not AE lol :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 151 ✭✭Blood-Martyr

wtfbenson wrote: »
    I have no issues with a 15 EURO price point. It would be cool if we could get an MVC mini tourney instead of sf3, but I realize I'm in the minority on that one. :D

Fixed that for you :)

And also, you won't be as bad as my Makoto, moar Double KO's please!

• Advertisement

No objections to the 15 euro entry fee on my end either. Means a bigger pay out for me when I do finally win one! :p

• Registered Users Posts: 320 ✭✭Shokashi

I like the idea of side bets, also no prob with the 5 euro increase. It means ill have to work harder to earn it all back :p

Right, I'm going to up the price to €15 for this event. I'll get a mod to fix the first post promptly.

SF3 will stay at €5.

Bets are completely up to you guys if you want to make them, I'm not going to organise anything. Sammich match, money match - it's all up to you.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,629 ✭✭✭raah!

Well I'll just say that I vote against the 15 euro entry. Not that this will stop me from going, but I think it's a bit steep, and it seems unlikely that anyone is attending the tournament to make money.

• Registered Users Posts: 86 ✭✭wtfbenson

I think the main gain behind the increase is not to give us a larger pot, though that's a nice side benefit, rather it's to begin a community pot to go towards new/better equipment. We're investing in our children's future. By which I of course mean we're giving to ourselves in a few months.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,629 ✭✭✭raah!

Ah right, that sounds pretty good actually, though I hope it can go back to normal after a while. My judgement was clouded by the unlikelihood of my winning :D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,938 ✭✭✭mackg

the increase in entry is no problem for me but maybe leaving it off for until October/November. With the colleges just back this is probably the time of year we are most likely to see new faces and getting them along the first time is the key THEN you jack up the price once they're hooked. I'll still be there whatever decision is made but that might be something to take into consideration.

If community equipment is being bought I would recommend a TE which can be safely stored at my house.

mackg wrote: »
    the increase in entry is no problem for me but maybe leaving it off for until October/November. With the colleges just back this is probably the time of year we are most likely to see new faces and getting them along the first time is the key THEN you jack up the price once they're hooked. I'll still be there whatever decision is made but that might be something to take into consideration.

I don't really think the fiver will scare off many people. People who are going to show up will show up regardless of the difference I'd reckon.

However on that note, PPC gave me a great suggestion the other night to ease everyone into the new price: Bring a friend and you get a fiver off your entry.

A friend being someone who's never entered a tournament before before I get any smart asses :P

Hey guys, I'm just wondering would anyone be up for a boozing session afterwards in the city?

I know we are literally upstairs in a bar but we can always move to another bar with a more homely feel, if you know what I mean.

Of course, if people want to leave until later on the evening, that's cool with me as well ( will give me the chance to get home with my xbox and get changed and all that.)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 543 ✭✭✭WasterEx

I'm comin to this one. I'm gunna pluck y'all lyk chickens :rolleyes:

Advertisement