Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Letting out the Ram

• 05-09-2011 9:34pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 161 ✭✭

When do ye think is the best time to let out the ram to his lady's.
    I'm not in any hurry till the end of Sept. Have a few neighbours who let him out all ready. We done this a few years ago but the ewes all lambed during hard frost in Jan making it difficult for weak lambs.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,271 ✭✭✭✭johngalway

Be the 1st of November before mine gets at them. Due to location, location, location, and weather :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 161 ✭✭Mr.Success

johngalway wrote: »
    Be the 1st of November before mine gets at them. Due to location, location, location, and weather :D

do you just have sheep or cows aswell.

i'd like to have most of the ewes lambed before the cows start calving in march

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,271 ✭✭✭✭johngalway

Just the sheep at the moment.

johngalway wrote: »
    Just the sheep at the moment.

its a brilliant time to have sheep, very dear

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 609 ✭✭✭flatout11

grass weather etc .... jan/feb is too early
    when do you have enough grass in spring.....
    early to mid march is soon enough,
    a lot of lads with sucklers say its great to have then fin before the cows.... but how many cows have do they calve every day 2 - 3 tops,
    i always find that i when i am in the yard its no real odds whether its checking the cattle or the sheep, TBH id like to be on the home streach with the cows when the lambing starts for a different reason.........
    heavier weanlings!!!

• Advertisement

flatout11 wrote: »
    grass weather etc .... jan/feb is too early
    when do you have enough grass in spring.....
    early to mid march is soon enough,
    a lot of lads with sucklers say its great to have then fin before the cows.... but how many cows have do they calve every day 2 - 3 tops,
    i always find that i when i am in the yard its no real odds whether its checking the cattle or the sheep, TBH id like to be on the home streach with the cows when the lambing starts for a different reason.........
    heavier weanlings!!!

the oul lad usually holds the weanlings as stores so he dosnt care if they were born in jan or july

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 609 ✭✭✭flatout11

then as i said early to mid march depending on where your based
    tis nice to be able to let them out within a day or so after lambing and not be lugging bags of meal out to them ...... less hardship in the long run

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,237 ✭✭✭Username John

Mr.Success wrote: »
    When do ye think is the best time to let out the ram to his lady's.
    I'm not in any hurry till the end of Sept. Have a few neighbours who let him out all ready. We done this a few years ago but the ewes all lambed during hard frost in Jan making it difficult for weak lambs.

When is the best time - different on every farm I'd imagine.

I'll be taking the ram away from mine this Saturday - his job is done. Should be starting lambing around the 1st Jan, but majority of them will be mid-Jan. Kinda sorry I didnt put him in a week earlier, and have em lambing over Christmas... but too late now :D

I thought this year was a great year for lambing early - we had hard frosts all right, but as I lamb them inside, and leave em out after 2 - 3 days, the hard weather is grand. Fine bright dry days. Much better than cold rain...

I only have a few sheep, and at the minute too much grass nearly... I'll be closing up fields now soon.

Advertisement