Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Mountain biking

2»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,411 ✭✭✭Icyseanfitz

ive a pair of formula RX'son my xc bike and my god are they noisy, have to buy some sintered pads to see if it will quieten them down a bit, my AM bike has elixers on it, which havnt been too much bother although ive a sneaky feeling the front is after coming down with sticky piston syndrome :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,018 ✭✭✭Tenzor07

Just to get back on topic here...(Icsean i'm looking at you!)

Here's a review of the Carrera: Link

Go ahead, buy it, enjoy your cycling on it, its well sufficient for what most people regard as Mountainbiking anyways...

Tenzor07 wrote: »
    Just to get back on topic here...(Icsean i'm looking at you!)

Here's a review of the Carrera: Link

Go ahead, buy it, enjoy your cycling on it, its well sufficient for what most people regard as Mountainbiking anyways...

what i do what i do :p yeah the carrera's grand for xc riding, id definitely buy that gt i linked earlier though, its a nicer looking bike with better/similar components

• Registered Users Posts: 47 Moggy13

RPL1 wrote: »
    I ride 3 or 4 times a week all over Dublin/Wicklow mountains and meet literally hundreds of people from all over the country at events - I've yet to see a Carrera being ridden by anybody with any experience! Mountain biking is hard enough without making it more difficult with heavy, poorly equipped bikes!

I have a Carrera Fury 2010 edition. I've done Ballyhoura and Oughterard a fair few times. Was on the Garrane Loop recently in Limerick and the bike breezed through it. It's not heavy or poorly equipped. Suntour Epicon air-sprung fork is excellent. Its got Avids, Mavic Rims and Conti tyres, hardly poorly equipped. I bought a Carrera based on the reviews and nothing came close in terms of spec. I've been on Cube and Scott and the Fury wins over every time.

Moggy13 wrote: »
    I have a Carrera Fury 2010 edition. I've done Ballyhoura and Oughterard a fair few times. Was on the Garrane Loop recently in Limerick and the bike breezed through it. It's not heavy or poorly equipped. Suntour Epicon air-sprung fork is excellent. Its got Avids, Mavic Rims and Conti tyres, hardly poorly equipped. I bought a Carrera based on the reviews and nothing came close in terms of spec. I've been on Cube and Scott and the Fury wins over every time.

underdogs got to stick together me and my bionicon and you and your carrera :p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,780 ✭✭✭C3PO

underdogs got to stick together me and my bionicon and you and your carrera :p

I'm speechless ......

RPL1 wrote: »
    I'm speechless ......

about time id say ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 79 ✭✭shaunie007

in the lead : http://www.wiggle.co.uk/gt-avalanche-10-disc-2011/

the halford crew are in second...

few pictres of your own bikes lads for comparison??

Nothing like a little competition....:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,516 ✭✭✭Outkast_IRE

This is my beast of burden Cube ltd pro Anodized black :D Sorry for the size its almost a 1:1 scale
    ltd-pro-black_08.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 725 ✭✭✭djfattony2000

shaunie007 wrote: »
    in the lead : http://www.wiggle.co.uk/gt-avalanche-10-disc-2011/

the halford crew are in second...

few pictres of your own bikes lads for comparison??

Nothing like a little competition....:D

Deffo get the GT. I had an Avalanche a few years ago and a Zaskar in the 90's. Great frames.

Plus this one comes with a xt mech, shimano brakes and Maxxis tires.

A bargin at twice the price :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,408 ✭✭✭studiorat

I have a Carrera. I've done trails all over the country on it. I did the Blast on it.

The wheels are a bit heavy, changed! And the Suntour fork is grand for Ticknock and the like, for really steep stuff or jumps it's a bit squishy and a bit scary. Also changed out for a 2nd hand Marchozzi!

Value for money €430 it was a great buy. I like the frame a lot, and the finishing kit is pretty good. It hasn't got fancy decals on it but I've weighed some of it, yes I have! And it's the same or lighter than some of the branded stuff.

Oh yeah also changed the block and chain!!

Just add more fuel to the GT fire.

They have a 5 year warranty on their frames, Carrera only have 2.

Also how many XC or DH world cups have Halfords/Carrera won or even competed in?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,018 ✭✭✭Tenzor07

studiorat wrote: »
    I have a Carrera. I've done trails all over the country on it. I did the Blast on it.
    The wheels are a bit heavy, changed! And the Suntour fork is grand for Ticknock and the like, for really steep stuff or jumps it's a bit squishy and a bit scary. Also changed out for a 2nd hand Marchozzi!
    Value for money €430 it was a great buy. I like the frame a lot, and the finishing kit is pretty good. It hasn't got fancy decals on it but I've weighed some of it, yes I have! And it's the same or lighter than some of the branded stuff.Oh yeah also changed the block and chain!!

Rat speaks the truth, nowt wrong with the Carrera for your general mountainbiking and 1st MTB....€430quid is great, don't wanna spend a fortune on your 1st mtb and should hold it's value when you go to sell it on..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,408 ✭✭✭studiorat

Just add more fuel to the GT fire.

They have a 5 year warranty on their frames, Carrera only have 2.

Also how many XC or DH world cups have Halfords/Carrera won or even competed in?

About the same amount who competed on GT Avalanches I reckon. :)

If you start riding regularly you'd probably out grow either of them in a year.

I'd say to the OP don't let your budget creep up. And don't forget if you plan on using it properly, you are going to need to spend money on equipment. A decent helmet, shorts & tights/leg warmers this time of year, rain gear, possibly decent shoes, tools, spare tubes, lights. It adds up very quickly.

Good point :)

But you know what I mean though. There will be some trickle from their high end stuff, same tubes and angles as the Zaskar etc.

Anyway Ill shut my mouth now before someone snares me as a GT fanboy....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 79 ✭✭shaunie007

one more...€350 good for it??

http://www.adverts.ie/bikes/scott-scale-70/985693

looks alright but id buy that gt and be done with it if i where you, tis great value for what you get and you wont beat it

Advertisement