Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What to do with 2 cats while on assignment

• 05-09-2011 9:59pm
    Registered Users Posts: 203 ✭✭

My job may be sending me a away on assignment for anything up to 2 years. I'd love to go but my only worry is what to do with my 2 cats.
    My options as I see them are:
    1. Find them a new home and completly give them up.
    2. Put them into a cattery while away.
    3. Find them and foster home until I return.
    No. 1 is really last resort. I'd hate to lose them.
    No. 2 is expensive but how expensive? I would of course supply food and cover any vet bills. My usual cattery doesn't have outside acces so that would be like a 2 year prision sentance for them. Does anyone know of a good cattery with outside runs?
    No. 3 would probably be my favoured option. Again I'd supply food and cover vet bills and of course something for taking care of them but where would I start to find a foster home.

The only other option I can think of is to ask the only family member left living at home to move into my house and take care of them but don't think she'd do it.
    Has anyone else here been in a similar situation and what did they do? Are they more options I'm just not seeing?
    As I said I may be sent but nothing is certain but would like to have a few options just in case.
    Thanks for any replies

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,524 ✭✭✭Zapperzy

Tough position to be in. Any chance you could bring them with you? If you own your house and plan on renting it out while your away could you find someone who likes cats and would be willing to basically adopt/foster your cats at your house while living in it? While they'd probably be very confused as to why strange people are living in their house but at least they'd still be in familiar surroundings.

• Registered Users Posts: 203 ✭✭muppet_man

Zapperzy wrote: »
    Any chance you could bring them with you?

Unfortunately not an option. Would be going to US would have to do some travelling while there.
    Good thinking on renting out to someone willing to take care of them. There's another option. Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 4,085 ✭✭✭meoklmrk91

There are definitely some really good catteries out there that would have and outdoor run for the cats to go out in, however I would worry that with the length of time you would be gone they would not get much attention and also it would probably be very expensive, probably in the thousands.

Fostering is a really good idea, if you can find someone to do it that is. You will need someone who is very reliable and it would also be good if you could arrange for someone to do a homecheck every couple of months to make sure that all is well and report back to you.

As re-homing it is definitely an option and you could do a couple of things to make sure that they get a really good home like a homecheck and such. However I find that rehoming cats in this country is very difficult especially adult ones as it seems many Irish people consider cats disposable. But seeing as your not terribly interested in this you should look a bit more into fostering and or cattery.

I would suggest posting on the below forum, lots of great animal peeps on there and I am sure that someone will be able to point you in the right direction. Best of luck with everything:D

http://petsireland.invisionzone.com/

• Registered Users Posts: 171 ✭✭JKM

The idea of finding someone to rent your home that would look after them definately seems like the best idea to me. You could give some kind of incentive like cheaper rent in lieu of food, litter and looking after them. It would still be way cheaper than a cattery. You could pay for any vet bills as they occur.
    I know I would have no problem whatsoever being asked to do this, actually i'd love it. :D
    Minimum disruption to the cats and they will be there waiting for you when they get home. :) Definately worth a try. Surely there are other crazy cat people out there besides us.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,636 ✭✭✭Thud

Are you based in Dublin?
    We used http://www.maowcare.com/ when we went away for a shorter period, might be expensive for the time period you are looking at but worked out cheaper than the cattery for us (two cats) and if you don't rent out your place she also provides other services such as checking post, watering plants etc...

Was ideal as cats didn't have to leave thir home environment so no prison sentence!

Was a very good service, she sent daily updates by text or email.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 363 ✭✭Irish-Lass

I have fostered cats - the longest being for 3 months while a couple were touring Australia.

From your posts I take it you want your cats to have access to the outside. You have to bare in mind that if the cats change location they would have to be kept inside for quiet a few weeks to get them use to the new house etc. also you would have to take into account if the new place was near a main road. I certainly would not be comfortable letting someone elses cats outside while I was minding them in case something happened them. But then again I have indoor only cats.

Also if you decide to rent out the house it is a big responsibility to ask tenants to take care of your cats as you are limiting them - if they go on vaccation who is going to mind the cats will they have to foot the cattery fees if the cats have to board.

Are you sure that you are going to be returning after 2 years. Realistically I think you should either try and rehome them as a pair or find a foster placement for them for the 2 years and negotiate a financial payment with whoever is taking them on.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,412 ✭✭✭toadfly

If you do find someone to foster then think about getting your cats insured, give the fosterer more piece of mind if god forbid anything happened the vet bills would be covered.

Irish-Lass wrote: »
    From your posts I take it you want your cats to have access to the outside.

Also if you decide to rent out the house it is a big responsibility to ask tenants to take care of your cats as you are limiting them

Thanks all for your replies, they have been very helpful.
    I think my favoured ideas are fostering or renting house to someone who would take care of them as JKM and Zapperzy suggested.

If I was to go the foster route, outside access may not be best. As Irish-lass said the risks of a new area such as main roads etc. would be scary. I only mentioned outside access in relation to catterys as keeping them in a 8x3 pen would be cruel. At least with outside runs it's a bit more space. With fostering, as long as they were in a good size house where they could roam and have their own "private" time they would get used to being indoor cats. When I do ground them like halloween and when one of them had an op both took to litrer trays no problem. Not sure where to start looking for a long-term foster home, I'm guessing vets or local shelter might know someone.

I think finding someone to rent house to and is willing to look after 2 cats may be difficult. If it was me I have no problem but I love cats. Altough in this cash-straped era if I was to reduce the rent in lieu of this you never know.

Tillygirl made a very good suggestion of insurance just to give whoever cared for them some piece of mind that things will be coverd if anything should happen.

Again thanks for your ideas, you've came up with things I didn't see. Keep them coming

• Registered Users Posts: 171 ✭✭JKM

Great point Tillygirl, insurance would give peace of mind to all involved. I always go to great pains to make sure anyone looking after my lot know that I have insurance should anything happen. The first thing that will be asked in the event of serious illness or injury is 'do you have insurance?'.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41 Kitiara

I'm offering foster for these 2 while OP is on assignment. Pm sent. x

• Advertisement

Kitiara wrote: »
    I'm offering foster for these 2 while OP is on assignment. Pm sent. x

Wow! Thank you for such a great offer. :D:D:D Really is a load off my mind.
    I've sent you an email.

This is why I love the people in here!!

Advertisement