Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Gloss Paint Problem?

• 05-09-2011 10:09pm
    Registered Users Posts: 169 ✭✭

Bought a set of new wooden field gates, applied a coat of undercoat which i left to dry for 24hrs and then i applied a finish gloss coat. 24hrs later when i went to move the gates the paint started to smudge and slide as i touched the gates.

Where did i go wrong, do i give them more time. I have since moved them into a shed where its warmer to help the drying process. About 6 Hrs after i gloss painted them it rained on the gates.

Ant advice would be appreciated.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 339 ✭✭FREDNISMO

Sounds like a high moisture content in the wood, were they tanalised or pressure treated when you bought them? if so that could be part of the problem.

• Registered Users Posts: 169 ✭✭stephentbb2000

Pressure treated, checked them this evening and the paint seems to be starting to dry. Will give them another day or two in the shed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,385 ✭✭✭cardwizzard

Did you use oil or waterbased finish?

• Registered Users Posts: 169 ✭✭stephentbb2000

An oil based undercoat followed by an oil based finish coat.

Advertisement