Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

anyone use RSW

• 05-09-2011 10:22pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 858 ✭✭✭

just wonderin has anyone used the bb bull rsw ross brendan from bova. We have had 3 cows calve to this bull and have to say the calves are exceptional only problem and a major one is they are massive!!! in total 21 cows calved so far only had to assist 5 inc all the rsw ones. one of these calves was a heifer and i thought we were not goin to get passed her chest without a doubt the biggest calf i've ever seen would dred to see it if it was a bull....luckily cow and calf are ok. his figures are just over 12% dificulty with limited reliability think this will only go up as we have calved 5 byu's at over 16% 4 bulls 1 heifer all unassisted!!! Beware RSW:cool:

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,274 ✭✭✭Bodacious

just wonderin has anyone used the bb bull rsw ross brendan from bova. We have had 3 cows calve to this bull and have to say the calves are exceptional only problem and a major one is they are massive!!! in total 21 cows calved so far only had to assist 5 inc all the rsw ones. one of these calves was a heifer and i thought we were not goin to get passed her chest without a doubt the biggest calf i've ever seen would dred to see it if it was a bull....luckily cow and calf are ok. his figures are just over 12% dificulty with limited reliability think this will only go up as we have calved 5 byu's at over 16% 4 bulls 1 heifer all unassisted!!! Beware RSW:cool:

Cheers for information and well done on getting them all alive.

Does anyone have any feedback on Ross Alo (AZL) Munster/Progressive he untested also ... BYU son "dam from an easy calving line"... famous last words!!:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 858 ✭✭✭tismesoitis

goin to use alo this year have no info to offer but would be great to hear some feedback alrite!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 609 ✭✭✭flatout11

Bodacious wrote: »
    Cheers for information and well done on getting them all alive.

Does anyone have any feedback on Ross Alo (AZL) Munster/Progressive he untested also ... BYU son "dam from an easy calving line"... famous last words!!:D

with the exception of one cow carrying twins the rest of the AZL caves i had caved unassisted - but he isnt as good as byu quality wise

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,560 ✭✭✭limo_100

flatout11 wrote: »
    but he isnt as good as byu quality wise
    dam is used a few of him this year... did any of use use rws from pg i used a good bit of him in the last few weeks hes suspose to have very stylish calves on the ground wel thats wat it says in the journal anyway and he has a brilliant pedigree

limo_100 wrote: »
    dam is used a few of him this year... did any of use use rws from pg i used a good bit of him in the last few weeks hes suspose to have very stylish calves on the ground wel thats wat it says in the journal anyway and he has a brilliant pedigree

he shouldnt be too bad i had calves of jok and tiy before so there is nothing in his pedigree that would make me worry, id expect him to be your average blue
    anyone have calves of KYR ???

• Advertisement

he shouldnt be too bad i had calves of jok and tiy before so there is nothing in his pedigree that would make me worry, id expect him to be your average blue

no but i used his full brother adajio not calving until the spring the plant said hes suspose to be the real deal but i never asked about kyr id say there two serious bulls for the future

no but i used his full brother adajio not calving until the spring the plant said hes suspose to be the real deal but i never asked about kyr id say there two serious bulls for the future

yea he is the better looking of the 2, how much per straw

yea he is the better looking of the 2, how much per straw

i dont no we pay the bill at the end of the year and i never looked it up. u'd get them cheaper if you buy them direct and have your own tank http://www.ibbcs.com/html/adajio.html

yeh one on the ground so far. he half of a set of twins sister did'nt make it (fookin twins). small but very well shaped. have two more due in the next fortnight or so will keep u posted. how about stq??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,296 ✭✭✭leg wax

i have 4 sultans on the ground all heifers and i am very happy, they will be shapey,but have 2 canadian clubs and no sign of shape or muscle.

• Advertisement

leg wax wrote: »
    i have 4 sultans on the ground all heifers and i am very happy, they will be shapey,but have 2 canadian clubs and no sign of shape or moscle.
    delighted to hear sultans are good have 6 due between now and end jan, 1st one due 19th this month:D. surprised about club he was being pushed as the big muscle bull from belgium.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,552 ✭✭✭pakalasa

...Does anyone have any feedback on Ross Alo (AZL) Munster/Progressive he untested also ... BYU son "dam from an easy calving line"... famous last words!!:D

I've used him this year. No Calves on the ground yet. He's well proven at this stage too (Aug2011 proofs). His figures are very impressive. I'm hoping we will bring better calves than FHZ from plainer cows.

http://www.icbf.ie/taurus/bull_search/index.php?search_type=num&search=azl

yeh one on the ground so far. he half of a set of twins sister did'nt make it (fookin twins). small but very well shaped. have two more due in the next fortnight or so will keep u posted. how about stq??
    thanks it will be interesting to see how he works out, i used him 2 stqs and fhz from PG

delighted to hear sultans are good have 6 due between now and end jan, 1st one due 19th this month:D. surprised about club he was being pushed as the big muscle bull from belgium.
    depends on what age the calves are yet- hard to judge a lot of blues wont fill out until they are 4 to 5 weeks of age

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,274 ✭✭✭Bodacious

I dont know lads but is KYR that Kubitis if it is he looks very small to me, they have his two front feet up on a kerb and a man crouching down in front of him and he is still looks lacking height:mad: but seriously muscled alright

I dont know lads but is KYR that Kubitis if it is he looks very small to me, they have his two front feet up on a kerb and a man crouching down in front of him and he is still looks lacking height:mad: but seriously muscled alright

just looked at it there now hes fairly short in the leg and they gave him a score of 90 out of 100 for height... the photo was probably taken when he was looking his best as show calf

I...they have his two front feet up on a kerb and a man crouching down in front of him and he is still looks lacking height:mad: but seriously muscled alright

That raising of the two front feet has been going on for years in AI catalogues. Even in the very olds ones, they were at it.
    I think that problem with short front legs in cattle comes from years of picking bulls with good looking top lines, but not considering that natural muscle development that bulls have on their front shoulders. Looks fine for the bulls, but the heifers they breed end up with front short legs.
    Have a look at the dairy bulls, they are the complete opposite. They, being judged on the appearance of their daughters.

thats the way they showe them in belgium lads, i wouldnt worry too much about the height issue

pakalasa wrote: »
    That raising of the two front feet has been going on for years in AI catalogues. Even in the very olds ones, they were at it.
    I think that problem with short front legs in cattle comes from years of picking bulls with good looking top lines, but not considering that natural muscle development that bulls have on their front shoulders..

??? how do you come to that conclusion?????

I notice it in 3/4 or more bred continentals. A mature bull looks better if he has a good level top line. The problem is, the level top line is along muscle and not his back bone. After a few generations this manifests in shorter front legs. A dairy bull is always judged on the appearance of his daughters, where it's the back bone that is seen. No muscle on them holsteins.
    Maybe I'm wrong, but I always put it down to this.

• Advertisement

pakalasa wrote: »
    I notice it in 3/4 or more bred continentals. A mature bull looks better if he has a good level top line. The problem is, the level top line is along muscle and not his back bone. After a few generations this manifests in shorter front legs. .

that has no bearing on the front legs what so ever..... its just one of those undesireable traits that occurs in some bloodlines like turned out feet etc......

i think if we were to go up two the plants we wouldnt be that impreesed with much of the bulls from any of the breeds sure they'd only need to look impressive for the of the photo thats what i think anyway maybe im wrong

Advertisement