Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Living in Trim

Options
  • 05-09-2011 11:00pm
    Registered Users Posts: 12

I'm selling my house and thinking of buying a house in trim . Can people who live in or near trim tell me the pros and cons to living there . Such as access to other locations , shopping , sports facilities etc . Is it a nice place to live ?
    Thanks
    Peter

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,251 ✭✭✭paul71

Peter147 wrote: »
    I'm selling my house and thinking of buying a house in trim . Can people who live in or near trim tell me the pros and cons to living there . Such as access to other locations , shopping , sports facilities etc . Is it a nice place to live ?
    Thanks
    Peter

Not there anymore, but for what it is worth.

1. Shops - Limited really to supervalue, and Lidl or Aldi can't recall which. They are fine for most needs but you will probably require weekly or bi-weekly trip to Navan, the drive to Navan is not too bad.

2. Access to other places - You did not state if you have a car so I must assume you do. Within 30 minute drive you have Navan, Blanchardstown and Maynooth. 40 to 50 minutes takes you to Droghedea or city centre (assuming light traffic).

3. Sports facilities - Strong GAA and Soccar clubs in Trim, Basketball clubs in Navan and Athboy, for golfers driving range on the Navan Road about 2 or 3 miles, Several golf clubs within driving distance. Last I heard the swimming pool is closed and not sure where the next nearest is.

4. Crime, fairly low level, safe at night, but like anywhere burglars can be an issue.

5. Is it nice place to live? Very subjective really but as a place to raise a family, yes it is. As a place to be a single person not native to the area, probably a little quite.

• Registered Users Posts: 568 ✭✭✭mari2222

I hope Trim is near where you work, cos the quality of life outside Dublin is great, but not great at all if you need to do a long commute to work.

I go through Trim regularly, and it is a nice town. You could buy the local paper to get a sense of what it offers/ clubs etc

• Registered Users Posts: 12 Peter147

Thanks folks for advice . Yes I have a car and 3 small children . I'll rent for a while there first to see if we like it . Anyone suggest other locations to live that's within 30mins of maynooth ?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,251 ✭✭✭paul71

Peter147 wrote: »
    Thanks folks for advice . Yes I have a car and 3 small children . I'll rent for a while there first to see if we like it . Anyone suggest other locations to live that's within 30mins of maynooth ?

Assuming that the reason you are not opting for Maynooth itself is because of price, then that rules out Newbridge, Dunboyne, Kilcock, Celbridge and Naas. With 3 small kids I would say Trim is your best option, it has creches and good schools, also the option of an Irish Language school in a living Gealtacht in Rathcairn.

Forgot to mention in my earlier post the very active Trim Drama society.

Mullingar is within 30 minutes and would have more facilities than Trim, but as it is a larger town has also got the associated problems.

If a smaller town or even a villige with fewer facilities is an option for you then look into Clane, Summerhill or Prosperous. Villages closer to Maynooth are Kilcloon and Straffen, but these also pretty expensive to buy or rent in.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,817 ✭✭✭Tea drinker

No, the swimming pool / leisure centre is open. I went a few times past few weeks it's nice and big, also steam room sauna fitness area, indoor facilities tennis courts across the street, GAA next door.

• Advertisement
Advertisement