Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Most ridiculous question asked in the Vet's ?

• 05-09-2011 11:01pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 5,451 ✭✭✭

I overheard the craziest thing today in the Vets.

I was in with my cat for him to get an anti-biotic jab as he is very skilled at spitting out tablets :rolleyes:
    I was sitting in the waiting area and there was a mother and daughter who went into the consulting room ahead of me with their kitten.
    They came out and went to the nurses desk to sign a consent form and then asked the nurse if there was a medical card for animals ?

The nurse didn't seem to understand and asked them to expalin - they basically thought that because they had medical cards issued by the HSE then they might be entitled to a similar card-based ( and state funded ) free vet service for the cat :eek:

Now while I would have every sympathy for those struggling to pay a vets bill I really thought that question took the biscuit - anyone with any similar stories ?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 67 ✭✭hpsheba

thanks for making me laugh out loud after a pretty shi*ty day ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,596 ✭✭✭anniehoo

"There's no such thing as a stupid question,if you genuinely don't know the answer. If you have to ask again, now thats stupid!"

• Site Banned Posts: 2,037 ✭✭✭paddyandy

There is insurance for cats.I got hit for €400 for one cat with no cat at the end and i had no warning about costs.They lost me as a future customer.They may have been enquiring.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,514 ✭✭✭PseudoFamous

I don't have a question, but I have a purty good answer.

My dog tore a ligament somehow and was on the mend, and we were in for a follow-up treatment. The nurse asked the fella in front of us:

"And your dog, what breed is he?"

"Uh.. Mammal?"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,712 ✭✭✭lorebringer

I have two...

The vet nurse in my vets has a cat that is blind, she brings her into work sometimes and lets her wander around the waiting room (cat is great with other animals). Anywho, this can literally has no eyes (with only indentations/slits where her eyes are supposed to be) - I cannot count the number of times I have been ion the waiting room ans this exact conversation has taken place:

Random pet owner - "what's wrong with her eyes?"
    Vet nurse - "she has no eyes, she's blind"
    Random pet owner - "ah, but how does she see?"
    Vet nurse - "she can't, she HAS NOT EYES"
    Random pet owner - "but she knows we're here, she must be able to see"
    ... and on it goes :rolleyes: The vet nurse must be driven mad by it!

The second - I had one of my guys in the vet with an eye infection, the vet did a fluorescein stain to make sure she didn't have an ulcer too (she didn't!). So we can out of the surgery room into the waiting room with a dog that had eyes like she was radioactive and a woman in the waiting room was asking about where she could get a dog with eyes like that, because "they look so cool"?! My OH left because he just started laughing while I was left trying to explain it was a stain... some people never cease to amaze.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 952 ✭✭✭Themadhouse

I have two...

The vet nurse in my vets has a cat that is blind, she brings her into work sometimes and lets her wander around the waiting room (cat is great with other animals). Anywho, this can literally has no eyes (with only indentations/slits where her eyes are supposed to be) - I cannot count the number of times I have been ion the waiting room ans this exact conversation has taken place:

Random pet owner - "what's wrong with her eyes?"
    Vet nurse - "she has no eyes, she's blind"
    Random pet owner - "ah, but how does she see?"
    Vet nurse - "she can't, she HAS NOT EYES"
    Random pet owner - "but she knows we're here, she must be able to see"
    ... and on it goes :rolleyes: The vet nurse must be driven mad by it!

The second - I had one of my guys in the vet with an eye infection, the vet did a fluorescein stain to make sure she didn't have an ulcer too (she didn't!). So we can out of the surgery room into the waiting room with a dog that had eyes like she was radioactive and a woman in the waiting room was asking about where she could get a dog with eyes like that, because "they look so cool"?! My OH left because he just started laughing while I was left trying to explain it was a stain... some people never cease to amaze.

Brilliant! Lol

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 637 ✭✭✭Wisco

The 'medical card for pets' question is more common than you can possibly imagine....makes me wonder every time....the HSE can barely fund their own hospitals, how are they possibly going to fund vet hospitals as well?!
    Love the blind cat story :D
    Then there's always the 'but they're brother and sister, they wouldn't mate, it's just wrong' argument for why one pup couldn't possibly have impregnated his sister...

• Site Banned Posts: 2,037 ✭✭✭paddyandy

Is there a Medical Card for Cats ??? There is insurance so why not? That maybe what the question was about.A card issued by an insurance company.A medical Card for Animals.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40 Little_Focker

Id say what they were trying to get at was the way the dogs trust do the neutering for dogs for 20 euro if you are on SW etc they might have gotten confused with this?

I rang a vets before for my elderly neighbour to see had they any vouchers for getting a cat spayed and like that I mentioned that the owner was an OAP and the girl on the phone started laughing and said "getting free stuff coz your over 65 doesnt extent to your pets" and hung up! She had obviously never heard that some vets do get vouchers where you can get cats spayed a bit cheaper :mad: I was so close to going in and slapping her!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,451 ✭✭✭Delancey

Just to be clear these people were not asking about insurance for their pet. They were asking about a State funded ' medical card ' for animals which they thought they might get as they had HSE medical cards.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,255 ✭✭✭getz

i always like the bit ,when you are in the waiting room and the vets assistant calls out,[your dogs name is teddy] teddy jones you are next.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,472 ✭✭✭✭Alun

getz wrote: »
    i always like the bit ,when you are in the waiting room and the vets assistant calls out,[your dogs name is teddy] teddy jones you are next.
    We get that too, as well as Christmas cards and vaccination reminders addressed to Buffy and Holly [my surname] :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,846 ✭✭✭barbiegirl

Some days Sindy and Fargo get more post than I do :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,524 ✭✭✭Zapperzy

Alun wrote: »
    We get that too, as well as Christmas cards and vaccination reminders addressed to Buffy and Holly [my surname] :)

It's a pity all the letters telling you that you owe money to the vets don't come adressed to our pets, those come to us humans. :(

Not a question but I think one of the funniest instances I'v seen so far was a woman and her son come in with their big ginger cat who they believed was pregnant because she was getting fatter, the look on the womans face when the vet showed her her 'female' cat's manly bits was priceless. :D Turned out that the cat was just eating too much.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,010 ✭✭✭marley123

To be honest they may have heard something about the Blue Cross & wondered if the Vets in particular had any sort of a help scheme in place
    Delancey wrote: »

I was in with my cat for him to get an anti-biotic jab as he is very skilled at spitting out tablets :rolleyes:
    I was sitting in the waiting area and there was a mother and daughter who went into the consulting room ahead of me with their kitten.
    They came out and went to the nurses desk to sign a consent form and then asked the nurse if there was a medical card for animals ?

The nurse didn't seem to understand and asked them to expalin - they basically thought that because they had medical cards issued by the HSE then they might be entitled to a similar card-based ( and state funded ) free vet service for the cat :eek:

Now while I would have every sympathy for those struggling to pay a vets bill I really thought that question took the biscuit - anyone with any similar stories ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,736 ✭✭✭✭kylith

Zapperzy wrote: »
    It's a pity all the letters telling you that you owe money to the vets don't come adressed to our pets, those come to us humans. :(

Not a question but I think one of the funniest instances I'v seen so far was a woman and her son come in with their big ginger cat who they believed was pregnant because she was getting fatter, the look on the womans face when the vet showed her her 'female' cat's manly bits was priceless. :D Turned out that the cat was just eating too much.
    LOL, I had a similar moment in the zoo with my mum. I said to my niece 'And that one's the daddy tiger', mum asked me how I knew so I just pointed to the enormous testicles. They really couldn't have been more obvious.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,900 ✭✭✭✭Discodog

Oh Dear this is where I have to be careful because a certain Vet Nurse, who works at my Vets & is stunningly attractive, sometimes lurks in this forum.

I recently explained to my all female Vet practice that they were a bit like a lap dancing club in that:

I have to be in desperate need to go there.
    The place is full of nice girls but you are not allowed to touch.
    And it costs a fortune !

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,553 ✭✭✭mymo

Not a funny question but ...
    There's two vets in the practice I go to, one always greets the dogs/cats when I go in and asks the animals whats wrong.
    Its really funny when he starts feeling about and saying "is it sore here?" :D
    I laugh all the time while in there, but he says it puts the animals at ease if you talk to them calmly. (also admits he's a big mad)

Wasn't so funny the day my daughter answered for the cat
    Vet "hello Jake, how are you today, oh you seem to have hurt your leg, is it sore?"
    daughter (5 yrs old at the time) "yes you crazy man, thats why the people brought me here"

Funny thing is my animals all seem to love him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,658 ✭✭✭✭The Sweeper

kylith wrote: »
    LOL, I had a similar moment in the zoo with my mum. I said to my niece 'And that one's the daddy tiger', mum asked me how I knew so I just pointed to the enormous testicles. They really couldn't have been more obvious.

It's really common with cats. Because males don't have an obvious penis under their bellies the way a dog does, plenty of people think their male cat is female. They also don't realise the pair of fluffy pillows under the cat's anus are testicles.

Plenty of male cats out there with girl's names...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,736 ✭✭✭✭kylith

It's really common with cats. Because males don't have an obvious penis under their bellies the way a dog does, plenty of people think their male cat is female. They also don't realise the pair of fluffy pillows under the cat's anus are testicles.

Plenty of male cats out there with girl's names...

Trust me, a tiger's testicles are very obvious :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 332 ✭✭Kali_Kalika

Alun wrote: »

Totally off topic so appologies first and foremost! And I promise this will be quick! :D

When I got my girl as a pup my Mom sent a welcome package for her of treats, leash and collar set, toys, etc etc etc etc - to be funny she addressed it to Kali {my surname} - and whatever way she sent it it had to be signed for by the person it was addressed to. Postman knocked on the door explaining the above and all I could do was laugh - I said to hold on a moment, and went off into the kitchen, scooped up the pup and brought her to the door and asked if I rubbed her paw in mud would it count as the signature :p;) I explained that she was new and my Mom had sent the package to her because it was all stuff for her! And he checked the customs form on the packet and all dog things were listed - he burst out laughing as well and handed it over, no signature needed :rolleyes:

The havoc caused by pets recieving post!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,340 ✭✭✭borderlinemeath

Totally off topic so appologies first and foremost! And I promise this will be quick! :D

When I got my girl as a pup my Mom sent a welcome package for her of treats, leash and collar set, toys, etc etc etc etc - to be funny she addressed it to Kali {my surname} - and whatever way she sent it it had to be signed for by the person it was addressed to. Postman knocked on the door explaining the above and all I could do was laugh - I said to hold on a moment, and went off into the kitchen, scooped up the pup and brought her to the door and asked if I rubbed her paw in mud would it count as the signature :p;) I explained that she was new and my Mom had sent the package to her because it was all stuff for her! And he checked the customs form on the packet and all dog things were listed - he burst out laughing as well and handed it over, no signature needed :rolleyes:

The havoc caused by pets recieving post!

My OH's friend sends Coco a christmas card every year addressed to her:D

On topic of the vets, I never notice any other people, I'm too intent on making sure Coco doesn't make a show of me, she hates the vets.

When we arrive and she realises where we are, if I'm on my own she won't get out of the car, I have to get the nurse to come out and help me.

She refuses to go in the door
    She refuses to stand on the weighing scales
    She refuses to go into the consultation room
    She refuses to get up on the table.
    She makes such a fuss about kennel cough the nurse always has to come in and help hold her.
    She refuses any treats or even water in the vets.

It all stems from one of her first visits when she had a bad bout of gastro and had to stay over for 2 nights on a drip. Bad memories for her.:(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 107 ✭✭Ailishcrehan

getz wrote: »

had to bring my sisters cat (ginger tom) to the vet - imagine my embarrassment (and the nurses) who called out FantaPants Crehan.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 332 ✭✭Kali_Kalika

FantaPants Crehan.

Sorry ... it has to be said .... I did actually "LOL" at this!!

Awesome name for a ginger cat!

Yes - I'm still laughing at that scenario by the way!:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,900 ✭✭✭✭Discodog

A friend of mines Boxer stole a packet of contraceptive pills from his girlfriends handbag & swallowed the lot.

They phoned the Vet & told them what had happened. The receptionist said "so you are saying that you dog has eaten a months supply of the pill" & my friend could hear the waiting room in hysterics.

Anyway the receptionist got the Vet to the phone & asked if the dog was behaving normally. Miffed by the laughter my friend said that "he is walking with one paw on his hip & carrying a handbag". He later found out that the phone was on speaker because the Vet was scrubbed !.

It turned out that eating a month's supply, in one go, is ok. It would of been more serious if the dog had eaten one every day !

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,712 ✭✭✭lorebringer

Discodog wrote: »
    A friend of mines Boxer stole a packet of contraceptive pills from his girlfriends handbag & swallowed the lot.

They phoned the Vet & told them what had happened. The receptionist said "so you are saying that you dog has eaten a months supply of the pill" & my friend could hear the waiting room in hysterics.

Anyway the receptionist got the Vet to the phone & asked if the dog was behaving normally. Miffed by the laughter my friend said that "he is walking with one paw on his hip & carrying a handbag". He later found out that the phone was on speaker because the Vet was scrubbed !.

It turned out that eating a month's supply, in one go, is ok. It would of been more serious if the dog had eaten one every day !

This happened to me - left it on the kitchen table and *poof* gone! She chewed the packaging so that she ate every single pill and then had the packaging and repeat prescription as a pallet cleanser! Bringing the dog to the vet wasn't too bad (late at night, nobody there... vet told us stories of other odd things he had to pump out of dogs stomachs!) but the worst part about the whole thing was going back into the doctor to explain the whole thing - the phrase "dog ate pill" is now on my record, don't seem like a mad woman at all :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 40,401 ✭✭✭✭x Purple Pawprints x

I remember someone bringing in a spayed female dog one time telling me she thought the dog was pregnant... Spent a few minutes attempting to explain that it was impossible for a dog without ovaries and a uterus to get pregnant.

I probably have loads more but have blocked them out because they were so stupid!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 126 ✭✭Evaex

Delancey wrote: »

That's actually just an extension of the disgusting sense of entitlement and reliance on freebies and handouts which is so prevalent in this country.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23 mrsbear

This may have been answered along the thread so forgive me if I'm repeating myself.

I believe medical card holders are able to get their cat/dog spayed for €20. I don't think the HSE funds it I think it's in line with the dogs trust?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 40,401 ✭✭✭✭x Purple Pawprints x

mrsbear wrote: »
    This may have been answered along the thread so forgive me if I'm repeating myself.

I believe medical card holders are able to get their cat/dog spayed for €20. I don't think the HSE funds it I think it's in line with the dogs trust?

Yeah I think you actually can. I've filled in enough of the vouchers so I should know. I know you can definitely get it done on the old age pension and the dole. Not sure about the medical card.

Advertisement