Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tethering...?

Options
  • 05-09-2011 11:05pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,142 ✭✭✭

Something I'm new to and don't know much about, but what would be a good 3g phone to buy with tethering in mind? And what are the networks attitudes to tethering? Can you offset it against any data allowances on your plans, or is that a big No-No??

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,142 ✭✭✭shamwari

shamwari wrote: »
    Something I'm new to and don't know much about, but what would be a good 3g phone to buy with tethering in mind? And what are the networks attitudes to tethering? Can you offset it against any data allowances on your plans, or is that a big No-No??
    Anybody...?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,794 ✭✭✭cookie1977

Tethering is great and depending on the plan with the network, some permit it with the included data allowance and others require an add-on. What network and plan are you on now or considering?

cookie1977 wrote: »
    Tethering is great and depending on the plan with the network, some permit it with the included data allowance and others require an add-on. What network and plan are you on now or considering?

Am currently on O2 (simplicity with a data add on) but considering a possible switch to Three (plan TBA).

Get a free pre pay sim from a three store or online and test out the 3G signal where you live, work and play. If it's good then Three are great value. Remember you can only technically tether on Bill pay plans, not payg

cookie1977 wrote: »
    Get a free pre pay sim from a three store or online and test out the 3G signal where you live, work and play. If it's good then Three are great value. Remember you can only technically tether on Bill pay plans, not payg
    Thanks for that. I'm on a bill, not PAYG. Also I have 3-Broadband dongle and am pleased with it but only have need to use it infrequently. That's why I'm looking at tethering, rather than having to top up the dongle for infrequent use.

Any suggestions on a suitable phone for tethering?

• Advertisement

if your 3 dongle is working well at home (3G signal good) and elsewhere then phone signal should be just as good, and with all you can eat data you can have fair usage of 15GB per month for tethering and mobile data.

• Registered Users Posts: 216 ✭✭kesey

shamwari wrote: »

The HTC Desire on Meteor is great for using as a "Portable Wi-Fi Hotspot". I've never had any geeks from Meteor over using my data to feed my iPad or laptop - (just use away and look happy) or for anything else for that matter. No doubt the Sensation is even better.

Anyone used or have knowledge of tethering using the Nokia E5?

• Registered Users Posts: 347 ✭✭John Dough

Anyone using tethering with Xperia Z or J or 10i ??

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement