Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Wet weather bike care

• 05-09-2011 11:09pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 815 ✭✭✭

Just got a shiny new bike and want to keep it shiny. How do I stop it going rusty in this damp weather?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 437 ✭✭fran83

I use swarfega degresser ( I will post a pic of it tomorrow) every time I use the bike you can buy 5 litres from b&q for about €15. Just put a bit into a small container and use an old paint brush to brush it on to the chain, rear and front mech, cranks, brakes and wheels leave for a few mins then wash off with the hose and like brand new again. I used all of the other stuff you buy in bike shops and this is the way to go its ok on the paint work too. When the bike is dry just lube up the moving parts.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,408 ✭✭✭studiorat

mp31 wrote: »
    Just got a shiny new bike and want to keep it shiny. How do I stop it going rusty in this damp weather?

Keep it indoors.

If you want give it a wipe down with a rag when it's wet.

Clean and re-lube the chain every week or two.

Service and clean it throughly it once a month or so.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 815 ✭✭✭mp31

studiorat wrote: »
    Keep it indoors.

If you want give it a wipe down with a rag when it's wet.

Clean and re-lube the chain every week or two.

Service and clean it throughly it once a month or so.

I was tempted to put it into the bed next to me and watch the reaction on the wife's face when she lifted the covers to get into bed... but then my natural survival instinct kicked in and I chickened out :D

Ask a silly question but what lube do people use/recommend?

Also, what about things like bare exposed cables for the brakes/gears - do I lube them to stop them rusting (not sure if they are stainless steel) or use some sort of grease?

Advertisement