Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Galway city refuse charges

Options
  • 05-09-2011 11:39pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 12

Dear all,

I was living in the Galway city centre in an apartment and I am just wondering about the annual Galway city refuse charge?My landlord is trying to charge myself and my roommate €150 for refuse during a 2 month period we lived there.Could anyone give me an estimation of the yearly charge so I can have evidence to give to landlord that I believe he is overcharging us

Thank you

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,210 ✭✭✭✭JohnCleary

How were your bags being dumped? Were you using individual bags that were collected, or a wheelie-bin, or all into one big communal bin?

Galway City Council?
    City Bin?

etc...?

• Registered Users Posts: 669 ✭✭✭GalwayGaillimh

Most apartments have an annual service charge that covers the refuse as well as lighting in common areas, block insurance, janitor, etc. This charge could be anywhere from 900-1400 per year depending on where the block is.

Then again if the refuse was being collected by Galway City Council it would only be €250 I think per year and something similar with City Bin

Si Deus Nobiscum Qui Contra Nos

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12 trishx

They were dumped into a communal bin on the complex..I think it was galway city council...

• Registered Users Posts: 10,210 ✭✭✭✭JohnCleary

trishx wrote: »
    They were dumped into a communal bin on the complex..I think it was galway city council...

A communal bin will most likely be City Bin.

I could be totally wrong here as each complex is different, but usually the likes of City Bin will have a contract with the management company for an annual charge. The management company then includes this charge in the annual maintenance bill (which the landlord pays)

Ask your landlord for a receipt/invoice from the bin company

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12 trishx

well i know the apartment complex was operated by galway property management but when i emailed them for a breakdown of prices they wouldn't give me any.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 669 ✭✭✭GalwayGaillimh

Galway Property Management use Barna Waste ( well where i have a place in town maybe they use city bin elsewhere)

To be honest its a bit strange him hitting you for refuse charges as it would be hard for Galway PM to break down that charge for an individual apartment as it could be a huge figure per year.

I would ask the Landlord to show you the bill for refuse charges....I doubt he will be able to provide one as its all included in the service charge by Galway Property Management.

Is he trying to keep the deposit on you by saying you owe him for Refuse charges?

Si Deus Nobiscum Qui Contra Nos

• Registered Users Posts: 2,277 ✭✭✭Cheshire Cat

To put it into perspective: We are a family of 4 living in a semi-d and pay between 17 and 18 € per month for refuse collection (City Bin). That includes the basic monthly service fee of 12.50 for the 3 bins.
    150 € for 2 months is definitely way too much! Did your contract say that you have to pay refuse charges?
    I would definitely not pay more than 50 € for the 2 months. Even with that amount you would be very generous towards your LL.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,673 ✭✭✭s_carnage

I live in a estate that also has communal bins. I just checked our statement from the management company and we are charged €314 for the year. Hope this helps.

Your landlord would have to have a statement of the breakdown of the management fee so I'd be looking for this before paying anything

• Registered Users Posts: 55 ✭✭Lensbaby89

A question no one seems to have asked is what was agreed with the landlord re refuse when you moved in?
    Anyone who looks for money after the service has already been provided sounds well dodgy to me.
    Someone should be able to provide you with a statement for refuse charges so stick with the landlord and letting agency.

Advertisement