Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Penneys return policy

• 06-09-2011 12:28am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46

I recently received a present of a few bits from penneys and they just arent my style. I tried to get a credit note for them today without a receipt and was refused. now i thought this was fair enough I was chancing my arm but the girl said they dont even do exchanges anymore without the receipt. is this true? or is it a case of depending what penneys you go to and who is serving you you will get an exchange without a receipt?

I usually ALWAYS have the recipt which is the annoying thing
    :D

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,713 ✭✭✭✭Novella

When I was paying in Penneys last week, the lady on the till did specifically say to me to make sure to keep the receipt as they weren't gonna be doing exchanges without 'em anymore. Maybe it's a new policy?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,729 ✭✭✭Acoshla

Probably have to start doing this with people fecking about and stuff. I got a present of a scarf a few months back and managed to get a refund for it without receipt or any tags on it or anything, thought that was a bit too nice of them, would've happily exhanged it for something!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46 Hihello

I think it is a new policy to be honest. in a way i cant blame them with the robbing and stuff that goes on in penneys. ill try a few penneys anyway i think the smaller crappyer penneys are more likely to give you an exchange than the bigger ones I always find.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,130 ✭✭✭Azureus

Yeah they've introduced a no receipt-no exchange policy now because of the amount of people bringing back things that were clearly worn etc without proof of purchase-its fair enough!
    The only time they will allow an exchange without a receipt is if its in good condition and you are exchanging the same item for a different size. Thats the official line anyway afaik, so we all gotta be more careful with our receipts :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,180 ✭✭✭tomissex

Penneys staff :)
    It's always been the policy but head office is making all branches enforce it now. Without a receipt people could return stolen goods and exchange for anything else. It also meant that people could return stock after the standard 28 days time limit and therefore, stores were ending up with a lot of old stock that wasn't even on the system anymore.
    Now, without a receipt, you can only exchange for the same item in a different size (not colour!) This is also the case if you are over the 28 day limit as this is technically seen as not having the receipt.
    Hope that helps :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 408 ✭✭pencilsharp

Penneys have been enforcing this policy for the last few months. No receipt-no refund or even exchange! I think its only fair cos I have heard of a lot of people wearing clothes and then exchanging them by putting the tag back on which is disgusting! I always double check clothes, so unfair to spend good money on apparently new clothing to find oput its already been worn-yuck!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,448 ✭✭✭✭Cupcake_Crisis

I've noticed this recently too, there's no give at all, no receipt- no chance!! Caught me out on it the first time i tried exchange a top without a receipt, was a bit put out tbh, but what can ya do!

I have heard of a lot of people wearing clothes and then exchanging them by putting the tag back on which is disgusting

That's nothing, I've heard of people stealing loads of stuff and then going in trying to return it for cash!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 533 ✭✭✭rustyzip

Hi OP,

Just wondering how you hot on?
    I got some clothes as a gift too, I have the receipt but It's gone over the 28 days by a week and I just rang and the lady said they don't even give store credit?!?

rustyzip wrote: »
    Hi OP,

Just wondering how you hot on?
    I got some clothes as a gift too, I have the receipt but It's gone over the 28 days by a week and I just rang and the lady said they don't even give store credit?!?

You'll only get a different size in the same item I'm afraid!

• Advertisement

In the end I brought my mam and she kicked up and fuss and spoke to several managers and I got to exchange it for stuff I wanted. :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,194 ✭✭✭Corruptedmorals

Very rude, kicking up a fuss when you have no rights whatseoever, without a receipt for all they know they could be stolen items (which happens ALL the time and is the major reason they're enforcing this anyway).

Anyway a while ago I tried to exchange a pair of shoes for the next size up, same colour, no receipt, and they wouldn't allow it- which is fair enough, I'm aware of that policy change now. So I wouldn't bank on a direct exchange working without a receipt.

Anyway a while ago I tried to exchange a pair of shoes for the next size up, same colour, no receipt, and they wouldn't allow it- which is fair enough, I'm aware of that policy change now. So I wouldn't bank on a direct exchange working without a receipt.

Really?? You should have gotten the next size! That's weird that they said no....

Very rude, kicking up a fuss when you have no rights whatseoever, without a receipt for all they know they could be stolen items (which happens ALL the time and is the major reason they're enforcing this anyway).

Sorry who are you to make out that I'm rude or that I was trying to exchange stolen items. If you read the first post you will see that I got them as a present and that I always have the receipt everytime I return something and the girl I was speaking with that day told me everyone without receipts was asking to speak to managers and getting exchanges. some next time keep your ignorant views to yourself before you accuse me or anyone else of being a shop lifter. get a life

It was your words 'kicking up a fuss' that implies wrecking managers heads when you have no rights with no receipt. It is rude to do so. I have worked in retail for years, nobody ever kicks up a fuss politely. It doesn't matter that they were a present and that every other time you have a receipt- you didn't this time. Not implying they were shoplifted whatsoever- the point is, from their point of view, they could well have been. It is not a mad scenario- people try this everyday- that's why they've cracked down on it. You didn't say 'asked to speak to a manager, who allowed the exchange', which implies a civilised exchange.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,875 ✭✭✭Seraphina

Hihello wrote: »
    Sorry who are you to make out that I'm rude or that I was trying to exchange stolen items. If you read the first post you will see that I got them as a present and that I always have the receipt everytime I return something and the girl I was speaking with that day told me everyone without receipts was asking to speak to managers and getting exchanges. some next time keep your ignorant views to yourself before you accuse me or anyone else of being a shop lifter. get a life

I completely agree with her, extremely rude and I'd put a hundred euro on you not daring to try that in Brown Thomas or somewhere more upmarket. I'm particularly annoyed with your attitude as I used to work in Penneys as a member of management, and would regularly have to deal with ignorant people like you who seemed to think it was their right to return anything they wanted any time they wanted and in any condition they wanted.

I would have to verse people on their consumer rights and the fact that Penneys used to go FAR above and beyond what they are legally required to do. Someone was just trying to do their job and follow the rules, you didn't have a leg to stand on in terms of rights. You were pushy and rude and if you had been in a restaurant someone would have pissed **** and spat in your food.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,871 ✭✭✭Karen23

Does anyone know the policy on returns with no tags. I bought two jumpers today , brought them home and didn't like either of them so I wanted to get a refund but I neither of them have tags. I didn't take them off they just weren't on them but I do have the receipt. Anyone know what my chances are.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,957 ✭✭✭Magenta

Hihello wrote: »
    In the end I brought my mam and she kicked up and fuss)

They grow up so fast these days.... Does she still cut your meat up for you too? :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,957 ✭✭✭Magenta

Karen23 wrote: »
    Does anyone know the policy on returns with no tags. I bought two jumpers today , brought them home and didn't like either of them.

Why did you buy them if you didn't like them?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 65 ✭✭feels2gd2btrue

Magenta wrote: »
    Why did you buy them if you didn't like them?

maybe after trying them on? op, did the person at the till write anything on the receipt about the jumpers having no tags? this is usually done so the person can bring stuff back.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,005 ✭✭✭✭Toto Wolfcastle

Less of the personal attacks please.

• Registered Users Posts: 27 Littleminx

yes thats happened to me also,but i think every shopis being more cautious that you have to have reciptsitsa policy im afraid,

No she didn't write anything on the receipt and I would have asked her to only I didn't realise there was no tags until I got home anyway they gave me a refund without any questions.
    Just to answer magenta , the jumpers looked nice on the hangers but unfortunately they weren't as nice on me.

No tags is fine, there's a number on the wash tag so they can match that to the receipt. Won't be a problem at all.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,194 ✭✭✭saa

Pennys have gotten more strict with their policy, its worth a go OP but with the amount of stock that gets stolen from there I say they might not be able to help you.

Oh off topic but thinking about Pennys was in there looking for extra hooks for my bra no joy where do you buy those!?:pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 27 Littleminx

hi saa,would you be able to buy them in likes of dunnes or la senza maybe? just idea

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,625 ✭✭✭wmpdd3

tomissex wrote: »
    No tags is fine, there's a number on the wash tag so they can match that to the receipt. Won't be a problem at all.

I would never take back something without tags, but because of this, staff always write on the receipt that it was sold with 'NOPOS' (no tags).

saa wrote: »
    Pennys have gotten more strict with their policy, its worth a go OP but with the amount of stock that gets stolen from there I say they might not be able to help you.

Oh off topic but thinking about Pennys was in there looking for extra hooks for my bra no joy where do you buy those!?:pac:

Like this:

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSY2WSYN0ioTydq_ohwUqkoUtrn05Vg_RLC7oLihrpih4fAL5lZbA

You get them in sewing shops

Littleminx wrote: »
    hi saa,would you be able to buy them in likes of dunnes or la senza maybe? just idea

Not Dunnes. Hickeys though would have to have them I'd imagine.

• Advertisement

wmpdd3 wrote: »
    I would never take back something without tags, but because of this, staff always write on the receipt that it was sold with 'NOPOS' (no tags).

No, neither would I but Penneys don't have a problem with it. I've written "no tags" on customers' receipts before because they wouldn't believe me that it doesn't matter :)

wmpdd3 wrote: »

I didnt take the tags off though and I didnt notice at the time of purchase that the tags werent on them so it would be unfair if I was stuck with something I didnt want through no fault of my own.

Ok I did buy them and didnt like them and thats my own fault but the missing tags weren't. I had the receipt and they had no problem giving me a refund.

Oh yeah, I realise that you didnt take of the tags, it was just unlucky that your pruchase had no tags. Glad you got your money back.

• Registered Users Posts: 13 Xanadu67

I didn't realise that if you don't return within 28 days and have a receipt that you couldn't exchange for something of the same value. So now I'm stuck with two pairs of kids flip flops. At least the charity will gain. But not happy with their exchange policy how come Dunnes, Marks, Tesco all offer exchanges after the time as long as you have your receipt but Penny's can't. I know their cheap but after this it's cost me more so I'll be heading back to the others in future.

Xanadu67 wrote: »
    I didn't realise that if you don't return within 28 days and have a receipt that you couldn't exchange for something of the same value. So now I'm stuck with two pairs of kids flip flops. At least the charity will gain. But not happy with their exchange policy how come Dunnes, Marks, Tesco all offer exchanges after the time as long as you have your receipt but Penny's can't. I know their cheap but after this it's cost me more so I'll be heading back to the others in future.

I think with clothing it's fair to expect that people will know within a month's time whether or not there's anything wrong with the purchase. Personally I always check my purchases when I get home to make sure they're ok and there aren't any faults I missed when trying them on in the shop.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 363 ✭✭analucija

Xanadu67 wrote: »
    It's perfectly resonable for them to refuse you. What if you would return the flip flops six months later in the winter. I think it's great that shops take back stuff and give refunds but customers should carry some responsibility for their shopping too and four weeks is plenty.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 425 ✭✭gingernut125

I once tried to return a 100 e perfume after 35 days or something in debenhams, not a good mistake to make, be happy it was just cheap flip flops!!

• Registered Users Posts: 4 feemcdee

Does anyone know can items be returned and exchanged from a different store to where they were purchased?

feemcdee wrote: »
    Does anyone know can items be returned and exchanged from a different store to where they were purchased?

Yeah they can. Odd items are the only exception, shoes etc. They have to go back to where they were bought :)

Anything that's Limited Edition can only go back to a store that carries it..Mary Street and Dundrum do in Dublin but none of the rest for instance. Pretty sure that's the only exception.

Advertisement