Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cheapest refuse collection service in Cork?

Options
  • 06-09-2011 12:36am
    Registered Users Posts: 63 ✭✭

I'm a 2nd Year UCC Student, I lived in student accommodation last year so this year is my first to sort out refuse collection! Can't see any great deals on line but I'm wondering what services you find to be the best and cheapest in Cork City? Any help would be greatly appreciated, thanks!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 285 ✭✭PcAngel

Landlord should be paying this as part of the rental package.

• Registered Users Posts: 63 ✭✭Exuberant

I also thought this was the case but I can't find proof that it is a legal obligation or anything like that. My friends saw the contract recently and the refuse isn't included in the rent!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,613 ✭✭✭evilivor

Exuberant wrote: »
    I also thought this was the case but I can't find proof that it is a legal obligation or anything like that. My friends saw the contract recently and the refuse isn't included in the rent!

According to Treshold:
    "Local authority service charges for water, bin collection etc. may be payable by the tenant as the "occupier" of the premises rather than the landlord. Check with the local council.

Make sure you are not billed for arrears for previous tenants or for charges due from other people living in the house. It is possible for the local authority to waive charges in cases of hardship."

• Registered Users Posts: 6,790 ✭✭✭cornbb

I found Country Clean to be the cheapest when I shopped around a while back.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,985 ✭✭✭aFlabbyPanda

We use green star (family of 4) as it was about the same price as country clean but had more collections.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 130 ✭✭iliketeaandcake

Greenstar seem to be the cheapest. You can pay monthly which is handy if you are a student. I think you can get a glass bin included for free too which is great. Check the domestic customer section of the website, they have loads of different options.
    http://www.greenstarcork.ie/

A landlord is not required to pay for refuse. A good landlord really should take responsibility for it though, avoids waste build-up by lazy tenants and ivitations to rats and mice.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,846 ✭✭✭Fromthetrees

I used Wiser Bins for 20 euro per month, did me fine.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,563 ✭✭✭Padraig Mor

Greenstar are cheaper on paper, but Country Clean will match their price over the phone, or at least they did for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,376 ✭✭✭Funsterdelux

Well, this may be far fetched for a student(indeed most people), but its possible to cut your refuse costs vastly by:

1. Composting your organic waste (and some of your paper waste).

2. Collecting and sorting recyclable materials (plastic, glass, cardboard, paper, etc)

Now, I know its not easy but it can be done. Most waste produced by eg. groceries is recyclable, there is only a small amount (by weight) that's not recyclable. And by composting you're cutting out an awful lot of the weight and smell from the refuse section of household waste!

The Kinsale Road amenity centre costs €2 for recycling and €8 for a refuse bag. they are separate so if you just have a black refuse bag you're not paying for recycling. It's €8 for a bag so I'd make sure its as full as you can get it. And bottle banks are everywhere, so you shouldnt be paying for glass!

Now all of the above depends on many factors, such as, have you space for a compost bin, space for sorting/storing recyclable materials, etc. A wormery might be a good option!

Thats my 2 cents!

• Registered Users Posts: 791 ✭✭✭mydiscworld

Any update on who the cheapest refuse supplier is in Cork City today?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 33 Olidolly

O'Donoghue's have no annual standing charge.

Put out the bin when it's full with €10 in it (I put it in an envelope and tape it inside the lid). Ring them and they collect.

I had a bin before I moved to them but think they can provide one if you need.

Phone is 021-454 4004

• Registered Users Posts: 311 ✭✭sensormatic

throw the rubbish in the field cheap out

• Registered Users Posts: 4,701 ✭✭✭Bacchus

The Kinsale Road amenity centre costs €2 for recycling and €8 for a refuse bag. they are separate so if you just have a black refuse bag you're not paying for recycling. It's €8 for a bag so I'd make sure its as full as you can get it. And bottle banks are everywhere, so you shouldnt be paying for glass!

It's €5 a bag now. Has been for a while. You get free recycling with that too. Every 3 weeks or so I just get the biggest black bin bag I can find, fill it up with all my little bin bags, load that and ALL my recycling into the boot of the car. 20 minutes and €5 later, it's all done and dusted. Works out at about €80-90 a year :)

Edit, just realised this is a zombie thread. Yup, used to be €8 a bag but changed last year to €5.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,165 ✭✭✭beer enigma

Greenstar are cheaper on paper, but Country Clean will match their price over the phone, or at least they did for me.

And visa versa I had a leaflet through the door from countryclean for two 240l bins, general & recycling + a 120l glass bin for €197 a year.

Way cheaper that my greenstar, but Greenstar matched it and reduced my payments to €16.58 a month, also back dated to January (took up deal in March)

I've been with greenstar since 2008 so prob helped

• Registered Users Posts: 682 ✭✭✭Xantia

Bacchus wrote: »
    It's €5 a bag now. Has been for a while. You get free recycling with that too. Every 3 weeks or so I just get the biggest black bin bag I can find, fill it up with all my little bin bags, load that and ALL my recycling into the boot of the car. 20 minutes and €5 later, it's all done and dusted. Works out at about €80-90 a year :)

Edit, just realised this is a zombie thread. Yup, used to be €8 a bag but changed last year to €5.

Thanks for the info Bacchus.
    Please just to clarify,
    You can fill one large plastic bag with rubbish (non recyclables) and bring it to the Kinsale Road depot for €5
    And bring bags with recycling for free??

Xantia wrote: »
    Thanks for the info Bacchus.
    Please just to clarify,
    You can fill one large plastic bag with rubbish (non recyclables) and bring it to the Kinsale Road depot for €5
    And bring bags with recycling for free??

That is correct. The guys that work there are dead sound too. They don't go looking through your bags or anything like that :)

Note, you have to sort your recycling yourself so its good to have a system going in to save time. Its split between cardboard, paper, plastic, tin cans, bottles and a few other bits.

Thanks very much for the info.
    I presume you have to sort the recycling into plastic in one bag, metal in another and so on?
    Do they take glass as well.
    Sorry for all the questions...:)

EDIT:
    Sorry read it again !
    I will have to go there with just one bag and see the situation..

You can go there with all your recycling loose in your car if you want :) You are the one that has to sort it though when you put in the different bins (well, they're more like massive trailers from the back of a truck).

The way I do it is, I have my big black bag of rubbish in the boot. I have separate bags in the back seat for cardboard/paper, plastic, tin cans & bottles. It just makes the job a bit easier to have them separated like this at home so you're not walking from bin to bin to bin sorting out a mixed bag of recyclables.

I've never brought metal in to recycle but I'm sure they'd take it. Just ask at the booth when you're paying.

q0ci.jpg

Thats Great, thanks very much for that info, makes it a lot easier.
    Sorry - I meant tin cans and the like (aluminium and so on) not a big metal scrap dealer! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 856 ✭✭✭rebeve

Bacchus wrote: »
    You can go there with all your recycling loose in your car if you want :) You are the one that has to sort it though when you put in the different bins (well, they're more like massive trailers from the back of a truck).

The way I do it is, I have my big black bag of rubbish in the boot. I have separate bags in the back seat for cardboard/paper, plastic, tin cans & bottles. It just makes the job a bit easier to have them separated like this at home so you're not walking from bin to bin to bin sorting out a mixed bag of recyclables.

I've never brought metal in to recycle but I'm sure they'd take it. Just ask at the booth when you're paying.

q0ci.jpg

Great post . just one question .I find it hard to source good strong black bags . Any ideas ?

• Advertisement

rebeve wrote: »
    Great post . just one question .I find it hard to source good strong black bags . Any ideas ?

Me too. It's a pain. I've had a bag rip on me once. Not fun. Dunnes or Tesco should have a good selection. I always try get something 100litre+ and marked 'heavy duty'. Perfect for 3 weeks rubbish. Anything less and I need a second bag.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,301 ✭✭✭Flesh Gorden

rebeve wrote: »

Rubble bags/builders bags:

I've filled these to capacity with around 20/30kg of loose hardcore and they've withstood it,
    only poorly cut branches have ripped these things and even then the rest of the bag stayed together.

Check the proper builders merchants first eg: Irish Intl., T&A, Cork Builders Prov. MD O'Sheas etc...

And if all else fails the DIY stores, but as you'd expect you'll pay a lot more for the convenience as I had to when I needed a pack of 20 late in the evening.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,328 ✭✭✭bogman

Who would take of a few liters of old cooking oil?

• Registered Users Posts: 287 ✭✭Ri na hEireann

Bump. Are there any refuse collections in Cork City that offer short-term contracts (6 months etc)? I'm in rented accommodation and not sure if I'll be here in a year's time. The termination costs with the likes of Greenstar are massive.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 44 Cybercommando

How much is it for the household bulk waste? I have a few broken lamps, old shoes, chairs, blankets etc.

Advertisement