Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How to file taxes having returned to Ireland?

Options
  • 06-09-2011 12:44am
    Registered Users Posts: 44

Hi all,

I'm just finishing up the year long J1IWT here in the states and will be returning home in October. I know tax season is still a few months away but I was wondering: how do I go about filing for my taxes when I am back in Ireland and how I would be reimbursed seeing as I'm not in America anymore(i.e cheque/ credit my account)?

My other question is: what information do I need to file for my taxes? Should I be getting my hands on certain documents before returning to Ireland?

Thanks in advance,

Dubh

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,230 ✭✭✭spideog7

You should be able to mail your forms the same as you would if you were in the US. I'm not sure how you'd go about getting your reimbursement though I'd imagine there is a facility to have them send you a cheque?

Also out of interest if you have been there on a year long J1 you should already have filed last years taxes so you should be somewhat familiar with the forms you need 1040/1040-NR, W2 etc. You might also have to file some tax treaty forms depending on your circumstances, never had to deal with that though so not sure of what it entails.

• Registered Users Posts: 44 dubh laoch

Hi Spideog. Thanks for the reply. I have been here on the year long but only began my job at the start of January so I didn't have to file any taxes.

As a result I am fairly clueless as to what forms or documentation I need to get my hands on. My main concern is I will be back in Ireland without the necessary forms to get my tax back. Thanks again,

Dubh

• Registered Users Posts: 1,511 ✭✭✭dave2pvd

dubh,

Every single form you need is on the internet.

irs.gov for federal and your state website for state tax returns.

Your employer needs to mail you your W2 in ~January (iirc). That's what you use to fill out your 1040EZ, or whatever form is appropriate.

Also, buying TurboTax or similar might make things very straightforward for you. It's preloaded with all the forms and can tell you which one(s) you need to use to file.

dave2pvd

• Registered Users Posts: 1,829 ✭✭✭lil_lisa

Be very careful about buying tax return software. A LOT of them don't support personal foreign tax affairs. They should list what forms they do support so make sure the 1040NR (non resident) is there.

Yea most of them don't. You're best bet is just to pay taxback.com or someone to do it for you. They'll take care of everything and I think they charge a percentage of whatever tax you get back, so chances are it won't cost you more than $100 (unless you were on a well paid J1!!).

I did mine myself cause I'm stubborn like that, the available instructions are pretty thorough but it can be a pain to get everything organised. Of all my US friends over here most of them have never done their own taxes, I know more about their system than they do!!

If you do them yourself don't forget State and (possibly) local taxes also.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 44 dubh laoch

hi guys, thanks for all the feedback! spideog, do i need any documentation for taxback.com for them to do my taxes or would i just need my social security number?

also was it worth doing your taxes by yourself or would you just pay the percentage in hindsight?

thanks again!

Dubh

In hindsight I'd still learn to do it myself because I kind of wanted to know what all the fuss was about and understand what I was paying, what I was entitled to etc. Also I'm still here and I still do it myself so it was worth it for me to figure out how to do it.

If I didn't think I would be staying there apart from that one year then I would probably just pay them to do it, it's not difficult but it probably isn't worth the hassle either. I'm not sure what info they would require, probably your W2 and stuff.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,900 ✭✭✭InTheTrees

dubh laoch wrote: »
    hi guys, thanks for all the feedback! spideog, do i need any documentation for taxback.com for them to do my taxes or would i just need my social security number?

also was it worth doing your taxes by yourself or would you just pay the percentage in hindsight?

thanks again!

Dubh

They'll need the W2 (thats the official form stating how much you were paid and how much tax was withheld) from your employer. And they'll only provide it after Janurary so make sure they have your address to send it to.

Advertisement