Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Judge my Website.

Options
  • 06-09-2011 12:55am
    Registered Users Posts: 8

Hi there guys,

Could you do me a favour and comment on my website design. Still not completed and open to changes.

Target Market - Creative Services Industry - (Ad Agencies, Marketing Agencies, Design Agencies)

I am looking on comments around the following...

Is it clear what service we are offering?
    Does the look and feel suit the service and the target market?
    Does the website have an informal but professional feel?
    Opinion on the name and logo?

Also, if you are the target market mentioned would you avail of this service?

Any other comments / suggestions would be greatly appreciated...

www.sourceprintconsultancy.net

Thanks a million,
    Robbie

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,488 ✭✭✭Goodshape

Hrm. Is design your business? If so I'm afraid it doesn't make a good impression.

I can't read the yellow on white on the front page, the green and red/pink backgrounds are only slightly better.

It's really shouting at me that this is a free website service you're using ('moonfruit') and that doesn't inspire confidence either.

There's also a lot of things that would really bug me, as someone who works on the web for a living, that might not matter so much to others. Seems to be a symptom of this 'moonfruit' thing. The page loads strangely, can't right-click or select any text, cursor doesn't change when I hover over links, you have the menu up the top and these strange boxes on the left... I tried to click those for a while expecting something to happen (again, no cursor change so I wasn't sure).

The logo looks like the big brother logo.

Fonts are all over the place. Is that comic sans on the front page? :-/

Some tips to make things a bit better:
    -- Get rid of the white on yellow
    -- Get rid of the white on green ('We Manage' section)
    -- Get the pointer cursor back when you hover over links
    -- Get rid of the coloured boxes on the left hand side
    -- Some examples of your work would be a good addition.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,372 ✭✭✭im invisible

Target Market - Creative Services Industry - (Ad Agencies, Marketing Agencies, Design Agencies)

:D:D:D

• Registered Users Posts: 25 Carol555

I'll second what Goodshape said, what really jumps out at me is the total lack of visibility of text on the yellow background. Yellow brightens the overall design so I wouldn't just get rid of it but maybe use more sparingly. The same goes for green unfortunately.

Here are some good reasons why to avoid (ab)using Comic Sans: http://bancomicsans.com

If you like fancy fonts on your page, I recommend using Google Fonts: http://www.google.com/webfonts

For SEO purposes I'd avoid Flash, especially Flash menus because robots can't see the page structure properly. I love Flash and used to build a lot of websites in it but when it comes to ranking in search engines (and the amount of potential customers visiting your page), Flash is useless.
    I know I could as well tell you 'start from scratch' but if you're serious about website generating money, then Flash is a 'nono'.

• Registered Users Posts: 8 robbiemc9

Hi,

thanks for the feedback guys. appreciated.

No im not a designer as you can clearly see! Really did this to just get an idea of the layout for myself. Will be passing onto a web designer from here.

Thanks,
    Robbie

• Registered Users Posts: 8,488 ✭✭✭Goodshape

heh, I didn't even cop that it was Flash actually. Really doesn't need to be flash.

@robbiemc9 -- if you can, I would pass this on to a web designer alright. The basic bones of the site and idea for design are there; a decent web designer would be able to code that up properly, make improvements and guide you in terms of best practice.

Best of luck!

• Advertisement

Hi,

in terms of getting a designer to look at this for me...

I am getting high quotes which I really dont believe is justified.

Based on the fact that the basic layout and look and feel required for the site is there already could you guys advse on where to look for reasonably priced designer?

Thanks,
    Robbie

• Registered Users Posts: 2,985 ✭✭✭Essien

You should put this site up for review on the website reviews forum here

Even though you are already looking to send it to a designer, you can get some invaluable advice there for free from some experienced professionals. If nothing else it will give you some good ideas about what you should have in your site.

There is also a "Work Wanted" thread here if you are looking for quotes, somebody may be able to help you

Great. Thanks a million Essien

• Registered Users Posts: 2,119 ✭✭✭p

robbiemc9 wrote: »
    I am getting high quotes which I really dont believe is justified.

Based on the fact that the basic layout and look and feel required for the site is there already could you guys advse on where to look for reasonably priced designer?
    Nothing personal, but there's so little that you've done there that's reusable. If I was hired to redesign that, everything other than the content would go in the bin. I'm not sure what quotes you're getting, but I'd try get a quote from a freelancer as that will keep the costs down.

There's a thread on here for requesting quotes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,700 ✭✭✭tricky D

Carol555 wrote: »
    For SEO purposes I'd avoid Flash, especially Flash menus because robots can't see the page structure properly. I love Flash and used to build a lot of websites in it but when it comes to ranking in search engines (and the amount of potential customers visiting your page), Flash is useless.
    I know I could as well tell you 'start from scratch' but if you're serious about website generating money, then Flash is a 'nono'.

Close;) but my View source and Spider View tool show indexable content - it is doable, but not advisable.

That said, I'd almost never ever recommend using Flash for any website. It's a super technology for web games, animation, streaming, video but very very rarely for websites. There is no good reason for a site like this or its redesign to be built in Flash.

@robbie Your bigger problem in getting quotes is less the price and more the value and getting a designer who can truly deliver that value. It is a low entry barrier, professional service industry, chock full of unprofessionals. Almost anybody with a computer and an internet connection can call themselves a web designer. However, the percentage who really know their stuff and can deliver good value is very very low, but worth the money when you find them, if you can find them.

gl

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,949 ✭✭✭A Primal Nut

First of all, its nice to see the entrepreneurial spirit and its a good, casual looking website design, but just a couple of things:

What the business actually does is a little confusing for me although maybe obvious for someone working in that industry.

I'm not a web designer; but I think you should try to get rid of the scroll bar along the bottom - it's not something you would normally see on a professional website homepage. Not any that I visit anyway.

Other than that, it's a nice casual design with some changes needed as recommended by the other guys.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,674 ✭✭✭Deliverance

My eyes!! Reaching for sunglasses. Ok sunglasses on... Can't read the text, the colours are blazing neon lights. Bottom line, you need to hire a designer asap.

thanks everyone... all taken on board. website will be changing thouroughly.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,674 ✭✭✭Deliverance

robbiemc9 wrote: »
    thanks everyone... all taken on board. website will be changing thouroughly.

No pressure, just take out all the mad colours and look at this site: http://kuler.adobe.com/#themes/rating?time=30

Should give you a basic colour scheme to adhere to for a start.

Best tip is look at it yourself and see if your not happy with it. Also show it to friends to get feedback.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 osCreative

Yellow color is not good. And there are some allignment problems in your website. Navigation is not proper highlighted. They are coming like a dull.

Change these.

Thanks,

osCreative - Wordpress Web Design

Advertisement