Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sept 11, 2001

Options
  • 06-09-2011 1:31am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,723 ✭✭✭

Where were you when you heard of it for the first time?
    Were you there? (NY)
    Did you see any of it "live"?

I was in Egans Bar in Waterford, saw the 2nd plane live on sky news, it was eerie, the whole pub was silent, glued to the TV. I remember this feeling of it being the end of something/beginning of something, a turning point.

In the same way as people used to ask here, were you when JFK was shot, sept 11 2001 is the same question for our generation.

So, Where were you?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 251 ✭✭brian93

I was in primary school, 3rd class at the time, and my teacher said it to my dad, we rushed home and saw it on tv. I was in awe really!

• Registered Users Posts: 19,193 ✭✭✭✭MrStuffins

I was home playing Playstation on my lunch break from school. The game was loading so I switched on Sky News.

They had live pictures of the first tower burning and I was about to switch over (thinking it was an accident) when I saw what I thought was a TV helicoptor flying into the picture from left til right. It flew behind the second tower and as I was waiting for it to come out the other side, there was a massive explosion!

Of course, it was the second plane.

I stayed home from school and watched the news all day........... for the next 10 years I guess.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,132 ✭✭✭Killer Pigeon

Amidst orgasm I believe.

Poster banned

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,228 ✭✭✭epgc3fyqirnbsx

I was going through the fear after my debs

• Registered Users Posts: 34,164 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

thread number 2795 on 9/11

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,573 ✭✭✭pragmatic1

In a taxi going back to my house from college. Was very hungover. In Letterkenny sir.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,226 ✭✭✭angelfire9

I was at home on maternity leave with our eldest and switched on Sky News around 2 o'clock out of boredom
    I saw the 2nd plane hit live on TV and I taped the entire broadcast on VCR until well after midnight (to show her highness when she was old enough to appreciate it)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,725 ✭✭✭charlemont

I had booked the day off work and as I was working nights at the time I got up about half two and arranged to get some hash for myself and when I turned on the TV I saw the drama unfold so I text my friend and he thought I was only taking the piss till he saw everyone looking in the windows of electronic stores at the news, So I spent the day in the pub and then got a few cans with some friends.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Help & Feedback Category Moderators Posts: 9,813 CMod ✭✭✭✭Shield

I remember where I was and what I was doing like it was just minutes ago. I was the first one to break the silence as everyone stood looking at the footage being replayed by Sky News over and over. I distinctly remember saying "This is war. This is WAR.", and right enough, they went straight after the oil person responsible, and slipped in The Patriot Act during the confusion.

For your protection.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,030 ✭✭✭✭Chuck Stone

I was on United Airlines flight 93. We didn't actually crash - we were brought to an airforce base by aliens and then we were...

never mind.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 855 ✭✭✭joshrogan

I had just come home from primary school and didn't really understand what was going on. All we had was RTE so I had nothing to look at for the entire day as I was 6 and wasn't interested.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,572 ✭✭✭✭brummytom

I was 8, swimming in the local pool with my class. Teaching assistant was listening to the radio out in the reception, she came in and whispered something to our teacher. We were told there'd been an 'accident' in America, and we all had to stop and say a Hail Mary in the shallow end...

• Registered Users Posts: 34,164 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

I was on United Airlines flight 93. We didn't actually crash - we were brought to an airforce base by aliens and then we were...

never mind.

Say twas fierce sore :p

• Registered Users Posts: 32,370 ✭✭✭✭Son Of A Vidic

I was living in London, doing on-call for a week of nights. The wife woke me up in a state of shock, I quickly learned why. I went into the Royal Free Hospital that night as usual. My unit was on the top floor and it was weird seeing no aircraft activity over London, except for the occasional Police helicopter.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,239 ✭✭✭✭WindSock

Registering for a course and having a massive fight with my ex. He smashed my harmonica and all, and I fucked a chickenburger at a wall. That was the bigger disaster for me. The chap in the video store we lived above informed us of the first plane hitting so we went up to watch it, just caught the 2nd one going in and ended up having a gathering of beer, smoke food and people to watch the show for the day / night.

The thread here is cool to read if you can find it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,836 ✭✭✭TanG411

5th class.

Came home, saw both buildings with smoke coming out, and thought 'Woooooow'.

I was 9 years old, my mind wasn't very rational.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,018 ✭✭✭Mike 1972

Was at work heard the first reports of the first plane hitting the WTC and thought it hilarious as I was imagining a single/two passenger plane piloted by a drunk/idiot (In fairess the first reports were pretty vauge)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,127 ✭✭✭kjl

Where were you, when they build that ladder to heaven?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,137 ✭✭✭Balfie

I was 13 an only walking home from starting 1st year.. Me an all the lads in my class had loved that WWF thing, an as I was walking home for lunch a kid from my class came running up to me telling me that a plane carrying all the wrestlers had crashed, an they all died.. I ran to the house thinking it was all them, an I couldnt belive my eyes at what I saw..

• Registered Users Posts: 1,674 ✭✭✭Teutorix

WindSock wrote: »
    I fucked a chickenburger
    :eek:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,243 ✭✭✭discobeaker

I was on my way to Irish class when i heard about it,then had to go and play in a band at a debs later that night and everyone was in shock

• Registered Users Posts: 6,116 ✭✭✭starviewadams

Had just got home from mitching off from school,think I was in second or third year.

Wasn't all that bothered so just went to my room and listened to Slipknot or Papa Roach or one of those angsty teen bands,remember I got into a big argument with my Da about showing respect to the victims or some such shít.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,228 ✭✭✭epgc3fyqirnbsx

I saw the first builing was hit and went down to the shop for 10 benson and the second one was hit when I came back. Knew right then that a war was on

• Registered Users Posts: 12,801 ✭✭✭✭Kojak

I was in secondary school - none of us were told anything about it until we got home.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,041 ✭✭✭cocoshovel

I just remember eating lunch at the kitchen table watching it on the little tv we had. Was stuck to it. For some reason we had a half day of primary school and I watched some of it live. Pretty hazy day, and cant remember much of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,226 ✭✭✭angelfire9

WindSock wrote: »
    Registering for a course and having a massive fight with my ex. He smashed my harmonica and all, and I fucked a chickenburger at a wall. That was the bigger disaster for me. The chap in the video store we lived above informed us of the first plane hitting so we went up to watch it, just caught the 2nd one going in and ended up having a gathering of beer, smoke food and people to watch the show for the day / night.

The thread here is cool to read if you can find it.

Found this:
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=30986

The OP made me sad
    I wonder if the OP's cousin was ok? :(

• Registered Users Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

was on a lads holiday in gran canaria at the time, woke up hungover, wandered down to the shop for breakfast and saw a load of people outside a bar watching something, took a gander and it was just as the second plane hit. world changing event alright.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,264 ✭✭✭✭Alicat

• Registered Users Posts: 9,233 ✭✭✭sdanseo

Had just started first year too - remmeber people nattering about it all afternoon but I remember thinking the World Trade Center was thos twin towers in Kuala Lumpur or something. Met my Mam off her train on the way home and she told me it was so much more serious than the rumours etc and that it was in fact NYC...thus followed the standard 8 hours glued to the TV.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,033 ✭✭✭✭Richard Hillman

It was the day before my junior cert results. We were getting off a class early for some reason. The teacher told us that a plane had crashed into the Empire State Building :rolleyes: When i turned on the tv when i got home i was expecting a small plane and a little dent but turned on to see armageddon. Incidently Channel 4 showed a programme a few days before about the Taleban and islamic extremism in the country so it didnt take too long to put the pieces together.

Advertisement