Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sept 11, 2001

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,554 ✭✭✭✭alwaysadub

Mike 1972 wrote: »
    Was at work heard the first reports of the first plane hitting the WTC and thought it hilarious as I was imagining a single/two passeger plane piloted by a drunk/idiot (In fairess the first reports were pretty vauge)

Exactly the same myself! I had images of this little Cessna type thing just bouncing off the building.
    We only had one computer with internet access so we were all huddled round that in the office when the 2nd plane hit.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,692 ✭✭✭✭OPENROAD

Just on lunch, heard some stuff on the radio,but didn't know how serious it was, headed back to work, worked for a large US Bank at the time, and management were running about the place, checking to see if we had lost anyone in, but also Financial markets were obviously still open around the World, so work had to carry on. Was really only after work when we went to the pub that we fully realized the extent of it.

We actually had Graffiti painted outside our bank a couple of days later :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,783 ✭✭✭KungPao

I was playing MS flight sim, oddly enough. Then I heard "something's happening in New York" I switched on the TV and saw the second impact.

I then watched Sky News for about 20 hours.

Of course that day was horrific, but it was facinating and unforgettable.

• Registered Users Posts: 335 ✭✭johnnycnandy

3rd year history class, just after lunch. My mate arrived in a few minutes late and told me 2 planes had crashed into the WTC. I told him to stop being stupid. Didn't realise the magnitude of what was happening til I got home and saw that both the towers were down. Crazy day.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,239 ✭✭✭✭WindSock

Teutorix wrote: »
    :eek:

License and registration Chickenburgerfukkerrr!

angelfire9 wrote: »
    Found this:
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=30986

The OP made me sad
    I wonder if the OP's cousin was ok? :(

Nope...
    Alicat wrote: »

Nope...

This one

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=30985

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,940 ✭✭✭Corkfeen

I was in primary school and heard the news when I got home. Really didn't expect to see the 2 buildings fall, don't think I realised the impact of it until later in the evening.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,134 ✭✭✭x in the city

nice_very wrote: »
    Where were you when you heard of it for the first time?
    Were you there? (NY)
    Did you see any of it "live"?

I was in Egans Bar in Waterford, saw the 2nd plane live on sky news, it was eerie, the whole pub was silent, glued to the TV. I remember this feeling of it being the end of something/beginning of something, a turning point.

In the same way as people used to ask here, were you when JFK was shot, sept 11 2001 is the same question for our generation.

So, Where were you?

was drivin to limerick buying a 98 civic coupe sri.

was steppin on the v tec yo etc when i heard the news.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 632 ✭✭✭Alopex

angelfire9 wrote: »
    Found this:
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=30986

The OP made me sad
    I wonder if the OP's cousin was ok? :(

That thread closed sharpish and without explanation.

/off to conspiracy theory forum

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 12,753 Mod ✭✭✭✭JupiterKid

I was in work, just after coming back up to my office after lunch when my sister in Holland phoned me and told me an airplane had crashed into the World Trade Centre.

I told my colleagues and a few of us went down to the atrium of our building where Sky News was showing it live on the TV monitors.

We were all stunned and silent. It was frightening.

• Registered Users Posts: 774 ✭✭✭stealinhorses

I was in the car with my parents, on our way to a restaurant to celebrate my mum's birthday. This was after school and I haven't heard anything about it until my dad turned on the radio. Needless to say, the birthday celebrations were very subdued.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,814 ✭✭✭Nemanja91

I was in 5th class in primary school, came home to see it on sky news.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,243 ✭✭✭✭Jesus Wept

People love to say where they were like that is a remotely interesting element.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,903 ✭✭✭Napper Hawkins

I was 17, I spent the whole day trying to get through to a mate on his mobile.

He eventually answered and I was shocked and disgusted to learn that he couldn't get me any hash.

****ing **** day.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,392 Mod ✭✭✭✭Manic Moran

Got woken up by my girlfriend of the time wondering what time her brother's flight in my direction was supposed to leave NYC. I had no idea, I only knew what time it was supposed to land at my end in SFO. She was most insistant on a departure time, so I did a little mental arithmetic, and said "Oh, about 0830 or 9am." She reacted rather strongly to that. Eventually she suggested I turn on the TV.

This was just in time to see the first tower go down, and then it cut (back) to the Pentagon on fire. At which point I remarked that someone had just declared war on the US. Not having much else to do, I put sidearm and uniform in the back of the car, and then went to work.

NTM

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,736 ✭✭✭Irish Guitarist

I was at home when I heard the news about the first plane. For some reason I was watching Oprah Winfrey. RTE interrupted it with a news flash about a plane crash. I though it was a light aircraft with a couple of people on it that had crashed and I didn't really understand why Irish news were concerned with this.

Later that day I was browsing in a record shop. They had the radio on and the news came on about the second crash. It was only then that I realised it was a deliberate attack.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,239 ✭✭✭KittyeeTrix

I was on holidays in Pwhelli, Wales with my husband and kids.
    I was towel drying the youngest following a swim with Sky news muted in the background.

I thought at first it was a re-run of the previous twin tower attack until I realised the fires were at the top of the building and not at the base..turned the TV up and could not believe what I was hearing!!!

The shock and disbelief was massive when the 2nd airplane hit! Still shivers me today :(

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 23,096 ✭✭✭✭beertons

I was in the Marble Arch in Drimnagh on the piss. Was working as a barman at the time, and we were out the night before, farewell drinks for a girl who was off to the States the next week. Was just after been told of our escapades in Gigs the night before. Locked!

• Registered Users Posts: 522 ✭✭✭Gneez

I was working in a tractor radiator factory when it came over the radio, everyone stopped working and listened to the radio until the boss came over and turned it off ''out of respect for the 300,000 yanks killed now get back to work''

11 Sept. also my birthday, so after getting off work went to the pub where it was being replayed all night on the big screen.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,078 ✭✭✭markc1184

I was in school when I heard in Art class. Strange thing was, half an hour before anyone heard we had been looking over a load of photos and videos with the teacher from our school tour to New York the previous April. Loads of which were from the top of the trade centres.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,474 ✭✭✭Crazy Horse 6

In Brooklyn asleep.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 53,262 ✭✭✭✭GavRedKing

In our pool bar in Ibiza with all the family due to the worse thunder storms I've seen on a holiday when the news came up, needless to say we spend the whoel night watching the T.V. debating who what and why, rememebr the papers the next day we're nearly entirley dedicated too it.

Crazy times, alot of people we're nervous flying home a few days later.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

In work...you're all kids. Damn kids.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,847 ✭✭✭py2006

nice_very wrote: »
    I was in Egans Bar in Waterford, saw the 2nd plane live on sky news, it was eerie, the whole pub was silent, glued to the TV.

Eh, what were you doing in a pub at 9am??? :eek:

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 7,395 Mod ✭✭✭✭**Timbuk2**

py2006 wrote: »
    Eh, what were you doing in a pub at 9am??? :eek:

It wasn't 9am here, it was roughly 9am in America. It was around 2pm here.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,847 ✭✭✭py2006

It wasn't 9am here, it was roughly 9am in America. It was around 2pm here.

Oh yea, duh!!

<first blonde moment of the day>

• Registered Users Posts: 4,305 ✭✭✭Zamboni

Living in Alice Springs at the time watching it on the tv in the apartment with an ex.
    I think I was eating a meal from the local Red Rooster as it was evening time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 845 ✭✭✭yupyup7up

I was in 2nd year in school. Was 13 at the time, and came home at 2.30 because we had PE or something that day and it was cancelled.

The smoke was billowing out of the 1st tower and I seen the 2nd plane crashing into the other tower. Was absolutely insane! Couldn't believe my eyes when it happened.:(

• Registered Users Posts: 3,012 ✭✭✭Plazaman

Was at work when the news came in around lunchtime. Was in a public office so couldn't leave my desk permanently but every now and then took a sneak over to where a radio was to get updates as internet crashed.

Like reading those old Boards threads that were written on the day, rumours abounded, 5 planes, 8 planes the White House was hit, the president is missing. Left work around 4.30pm and headed for the nearest pub which had a huge TV screen. Remember literally shaking as looking at the footage of the crashes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,367 ✭✭✭✭watna

I was in sixth year. Our RE teacher told us what had happened, in a really overdramatic way and then I think wheeled a TV in to the room and we all watched in horror.

Then, as we were getting the bus home after school we heard there had been a second plane and I remember my friend saying "this is world war 3". I went home and watched TV all night then. I remember my maths teacher saying the next day that he's sure none of us did our homework and not to worry about it.

It's hard to believe it's ten years ago now.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,618 ✭✭✭Mr Freeze

Was in college in Galway, was in Eyre Sq when my Dad rang me and said have you seen the news, America is being attacked or something.

I walked into Supermac's the only place that the news on, but no sound, so had no clue what was going on. Got back to the house and all the lads were watching it on the news, and then the 2nd plane hit....

Advertisement