Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sept 11, 2001

Options
124»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 922 ✭✭✭aoife_bennett

I was presenting my dad with his birthday cake, after coming back from school.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,494 ✭✭✭citizen_p

was in primary school, just walked home and into my friends house and it was on the news, live coverage and all. certainly made the day abit more interesting, only watched til the towers collapsed as after that it was just reruns of the planes hitting and views from far off of the smoke rising, so then we went out and played....

• Registered Users Posts: 29,293 ✭✭✭✭Mint Sauce

Was working, some people saying a plane had hit the WTC, thought it was a little light plane, got on with my work. Then noticed no one else was working, went to one of the TVs where everyone was, seen the second plane hit.

Preety much glued to TV for rest of day after that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,575 ✭✭✭✭FlutterinBantam

On the practice ground of my golf course, pinging 4 irons circa 210 when some gimp said the 'Towers' were hit by a plane.

Got a phone call then, to say terrorist attack and abandoned the practice to check it out.

Into the clubhouse and saw the devastation.

Sank around 6 pints of Hudson Blue and wondered 'Who the fcuk are these gimps'.

Bad rap.

• Registered Users Posts: 191 ✭✭Scealta_saol

I was 14, just starting Junior Cert year and in a Business Studies Class...

Came home from school to an empty house and all the TV channels had the same thing on....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 13,501 ✭✭✭✭antodeco

In a taxi on my way to studio (working FM104 at the time.) They didn't really know what was happening. They thought it was a private plane. Even the taxi man was sprouting some sh*te.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,303 ✭✭✭Temptamperu

I was flying planes into buildings in Flight Simulator.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 12,333 ✭✭✭✭JONJO THE MISER

I was in Cashmans bookmakers in cork, i remember looking at the t.v but i was more interested in winning money at the races, after a while i said this must be serious so went down to the brog pub in cork an there were rakes of people running in to watch it.

I must have been one of the last people on the planet to have heard about it.
    Myself and de other half, spent the whole day watching Friends Box Sets. Had no news on all day, just episodes of Friends.

At about 8.00pm -ish, I went for a bath and he ran up and told me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,024 ✭✭✭shannon_tek

I'll Always remember i was in 2nd class. and i remember the minute the bell went at the old time i think of 2.20pm we were legged to the car. I oblivious to it all was listening to my cousin asking questions due to him knowing what was going on and getting all the info. we sped home and ran in the door. all i remember was everyone running around the house and 3tvs with different news channels on. later i understood when everyone settled :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,624 ✭✭✭wmpdd3

nice_very wrote: »
    Where were you when you heard of it for the first time?
    Were you there? (NY)
    Did you see any of it "live"?

I was in Egans Bar in Waterford, saw the 2nd plane live on sky news, it was eerie, the whole pub was silent, glued to the TV. I remember this feeling of it being the end of something/beginning of something, a turning point.

In the same way as people used to ask here, were you when JFK was shot, sept 11 2001 is the same question for our generation.

So, Where were you?

I was across the road from you, in the Eircom shop, wondering if the two Americans that were glued to the display TVs were ever going to leave, then we all saw the 2nd plane hit. Nothing was sold from then on. All the other workers from the shops around kept popping in for a few minutes to find out what was happening.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,997 ✭✭✭✭bnt

In Dun Laoghaire, on a training course: just got back to the centre after lunch, before the afternoon session, trying to get on the Internet to get my email, wondering why it had gone slow all of a sudden ...

From out there on the moon, international politics look so petty. You want to grab a politician by the scruff of the neck and drag him a quarter of a million miles out and say, ‘Look at that, you son of a bitch’.

— Edgar Mitchell, Apollo 14 Astronaut

Advertisement