Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Peanut butter

Options
  • 06-09-2011 2:16am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 52 ✭✭

Someone I met from Ireland said she'd never had this. Is it uncommon/unpopular there?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,898 ✭✭✭✭seanybiker

ewwwwwwwwwww first time I ever actually seen it was down in one of the girls houses last week.
    Obviously I heard of it but jaysus, I wouldnt touch it. She is the only person I know who eats it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,138 ✭✭✭orchidsrpretty

Really popular and very tasty, fresh white bread, jam and pb yummmmmmmmm

• Registered Users Posts: 39,419 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

It's not as popular in Ireland as in the states. But everyone has heard of it via television

• Registered Users Posts: 32,382 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

Is it uncommon/unpopular there?
    Judging from any supermarket I have been in here I would say it is popular, loads of brands and plenty of them in stock.

Never eating it is one thing, I think its bizarre how somebody could have never heard of it. They have peanut butter bars etc.
    I wouldnt touch it. She is the only person I know who eats it.
    What puts you off it exactly? would you eat peanuts?

I think a lot of people think there is loads of actual dairy butter in it or something. Its just liquidised nuts, most has a bit more oil added to make it spread better.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,981 ✭✭✭ElleEm

I love peanut butter, have done since I was a kid.
    I often had peanut butter and jam on my sambos.

I love it on toast now, with a mug of sugary tea. Mmmmm!

I wouldn't have thought it was unpopular here at all.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,383 ✭✭✭emeraldstar

seanybiker wrote: »
    ewwwwwwwwwww first time I ever actually seen it was down in one of the girls houses last week.
    Obviously I heard of it but jaysus, I wouldnt touch it. She is the only person I know who eats it.

Seriously? Loads of Irish people eat it.

Some weird results on google, can't get my head around it.

http://www.fortunecookiechronicles.com/2007/09/29/peanut-butter-is-so-american-you-cant-even-really-find-it-in-the-uk/
    September 29, 2007
    I have a few friends who just headed over the England and were dismayed to discover that you can’t buy peanut butter in the UK (except maybe in some obscure specialty stores)

http://answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qid=20080829081733AAbmnRM
    Peanut Butter in Ireland? Do they have, if so what is it called?
    A friend has a college student in Ireland for a few months. She has written back and says she can't find Peanut Butter in the markets. Do they not have Peanut Butter there?
    * 3 years ago

But on wiki
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Peanut_butter
    Peanut butter is a food paste made primarily from ground dry roasted peanuts, popular in North America, Netherlands, United Kingdom, and parts of Asia particularly the Philippines

I can only guess these people are not asking staff and looking in the wrong place, you regularly get posts here saying "tescos had no XX when I looked" -but looked in the wrong section, e.g. glucose can be in the babyfood section, not with the sugar where you might guess. Perhaps in the US it is stocked alongside the peanuts. In my supermarket it is near jams and baking stuff, 13 varieties show up in my local tesco online, which shows me its popular, there are 28 types of ketchup as a comparison

I think it's usually with the chocolate spreads, etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,724 ✭✭✭The Scientician

It's popular enough here, just not as popular as in the US. But a lot of Americans seem to think nobody outside America has ever had peanut butter and that its hard to source. Maybe they don't see their familiar home brands and assume it doesn't exist here.

One thing that freaks out Americans here though is corn on pizza.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,844 ✭✭✭Honey-ec

Seriously? Every single person in my class in primary school had peanut butter sambos at least twice a week. I didn't think you'd be able to find an Irish person who hadn't eaten approximately their own body-weight in it over the course of their childhood.

• Advertisement

Honey-ec wrote: »
    Seriously? Every single person in my class in primary school had peanut butter sambos at least twice a week. I didn't think you'd be able to find an Irish person who hadn't eaten approximately their own body-weight in it over the course of their childhood.
    I only ever had one person in my class who ate it.

• Registered Users Posts: 390 ✭✭Doolee

I didn't get what all the fuss was about with friends loving it etc. And as a kid, it was only on tv ( peanut butter and jelly sambos which sounded horrible!) Then one day my boss requested toast with peanut butter on it so I tasted it and ooooooooh it tastes so good! I'd never buy it cause I know I'd be lightly to go crazy on it and though the good quality stuff is good for you, it's also important to keep it in moderation!

It certainly wasn't around much as a kid, I think the appearance of Nutella overshadowed it:)

It's very widely available as is hazelnut butter and almond butter especially in any health shops. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 19,527 ✭✭✭✭Krusty_Clown

Just back from the US, where I had a browse around the supermarket. They have a lot more choice than just peanut butter in the 'nut butter' category. I brought home some almond butter and cashew butter to give them a try. Both are supposed to be healthier, tastier options (haven't tried 'em yet).

I've grown up on a diet of peanut butter since I was a chiseler. It is not uncommon, or unpopular.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,292 ✭✭✭Mrs Fox

Just back from the US, where I had a browse around the supermarket. They have a lot more choice than just peanut butter in the 'nut butter' category. I brought home some almond butter and cashew butter to give them a try. Both are supposed to be healthier, tastier options (haven't tried 'em yet).

I've grown up on a diet of peanut butter since I was a chiseler. It is not uncommon, or unpopular.

Most health shops sell Almond/Cashew Butter. They are healthier but veeerrrryyyyy drrrryyyyyyyyy... one teaspoonful would require you to down a litre of water.

Mrs Fox wrote: »
    Most health shops sell Almond/Cashew Butter. They are healthier but veeerrrryyyyy drrrryyyyyyyyy... one teaspoonful would require you to down a litre of water.
    Good to know, thanks. But probably pretty expensive?

Can't remember how much they were exactly but yes you'd pay slightly more than a normal jar of peanut butter.

Peanut butter isn't actually as bad for you as you'd think. Some varieties can be very high in salt, and calorie-wise, you wouldn't want to be downing tubs of it every day, but it's low-GI, full of protein and very filling. Great breakfast choice on a slice of seeded toast or a multi-grain bagel.

Also a great way to keep a dog occupied for an hour or so - peanut butter mixed with natural yoghurt, stuffed into a Kong and frozen.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,679 ✭✭✭hidinginthebush

Aye, me too. I had a spoonful in my grannies when I was just a lad, and the rest is history. Peanutbutter sambos for lunch every day of primary and secondary school. Without a doubt my favourite food.

Mellor wrote: »
    I only ever had one person in my class who ate it.
    Doolee wrote: »
    It certainly wasn't around much as a kid
    This is just getting weirder! :confused: I have no idea what every kid was eating in my class but I do remember lots ate peanut butter as there would be slagging and messing about because of what it looked like... This was in the 80's and I have only seen more and more varieties in supermarkets since then, as I said above tesco have 13 brands.

Surely people remember sunpat brand and this ad, unless you are too young.

Did people realise starbars and moros have it in them? I always got homemade peanut butter cookies in my mates and cousins house.

Doolee wrote: »
    peanut butter and jelly sambos which sounded horrible!
    Jelly is what americans call jam, still sounds rotten to me though.
    Mrs Fox wrote: »
    This is dry since health food ones usually will have little or no added oil, which makes it spreadable. You can add your own oil and blend it in.
    It is expensive, it is cheaper to make your own, its just peanuts liquidised up.

You can get meridan brand which is 100% peanuts, no salt or added oil.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sun-Pat
    Sun-Pat is a brand of peanut butter in the United Kingdom. Even though American peanut butter had been sold in the UK since the 1930s, Sun-Pat was not launched until the 1960s

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Peanut_butter
    Peanut butter is a food paste made primarily from ground dry roasted peanuts, popular in North America, Netherlands, United Kingdom, and parts of Asia particularly the Philippines.

All this peanut butter talk is making me hungry.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 766 ✭✭✭ger vallely

Mmmm,peanut butter. Love it on wholemeal pitta with jam. Tis also great on toast with chocolate spread-tastes like a star bar.I work in a pre-school and loads of the little 'uns eat it.

rubadub wrote: »

Did people realise starbars and moros have it in them?
    Moros don't. The Moro Peanut did, but that was just an attempted renaming of the Starbar, which obviously wasn't a success as they reverted to Starbar.
    Jelly is what americans call jam, still sounds rotten to me though.
    Not quite, I think. Jelly doesn't really have the residue-y bits of fruit in it that jam has, and its got a stiffer consistency.

This is just getting weirder! :confused:

I agree. I'd love to know the demographics of the everyone eats it/I never really came across it split. Is it an urban/rural thing? Age? Class? Very interesting.

For what it's worth, I'm a 29-year-old middle-class Dub. Went to a large convent primary school in Terenure where, as I've said, practically everyone had it for lunch.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,842 ✭✭✭shinikins

I find it difficult to believe that peanut butter is hard to find in Ireland! Someone's leg is being pulled I think:D

I grew up on the stuff, peanut butter sandwiches were the only thing I would eat for luch as a child(the only exception being when my mother would buy Pork, Onion and Tomato roll!) I always have a jar in the cupboard, great on toast, bread, crackers, Digestive biscuits, for making quick and easy satay and adding to curries and stir fries. I can't imagine life without it tbh!

It is expensive, it is cheaper to make your own, its just peanuts liquidised up.
    You can make cashew butter from peanuts? :)

This is just getting weirder! :confused: I have no idea what every kid was eating in my class but I do remember lots ate peanut butter as there would be slagging and messing about because of what it looked like... This was in the 80's and I have only seen more and more varieties in supermarkets since then, as I said above tesco have 13 brands.
    When i said one, i meant one specific kid in my group of friends who ate it every day. I'm sure others ate it too. I was defo aware of it but never tried it. I seen it in the supermarket all the time.
    Not quite, I think. Jelly doesn't really have the residue-y bits of fruit in it that jam has, and its got a stiffer consistency.

You're both right and wrong.
    Jelly is a paticular style of fruit preserve, and as you said it has no bits. The flesh is strained away before it is set. Jam is made from flesh and juice, and conserve is made from the flesh whole.

But in the US both Jam and Jelly are refered to as Jelly. I think grape jelly is pretty popular.

You're both right and wrong.
    Jelly is a paticular style of fruit preserve, and as you said it has no bits. The flesh is strained away before it is set. Jam is made from flesh and juice, and conserve is made from the flesh whole.

But in the US both Jam and Jelly are refered to as Jelly. I think grape jelly is pretty popular.

Which is the kind used on PB&J sandwiches? I assumed it was the no-bit (jelly) kind.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,389 ✭✭✭FTGFOP

They sell jam in the US. I used to get this a lot there. Jellies were blander. Grape jam (or jelly) really does go with peanut butter a lot better than strawberry or raspberry.

It was nice on buttered English muffins too. God, I miss those.

Moros don't. The Moro Peanut did, but that was just an attempted renaming of the Starbar,
    aha, I did think the norm one had it too for some reason. I thought peanut had whole peanuts too, but wiki confirms it was peanut butter. My favourite bar, peanut butter kitkats (RIP:() had it of course.

But in the US both Jam and Jelly are refered to as Jelly.
    Hmm, I have never heard "jam" on any US shows. I had always heard jam=jelly, and our jelly=jello. Since we don't appear to have a "no bit jam" here I thought there's had to be it (or do we have one here?).

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jam#Regional_terminology
    The term preserves is usually interchangeable with jam. Some cookbooks define preserves as cooked and gelled whole fruit (or vegetable), which includes a significant portion of the fruit.[13]

The terms jam and jelly are used in different parts of the English-speaking world in different ways. In the United States, both jam and jelly are sometimes popularly referred to as "jelly", whereas in the United Kingdom, Canada, India and Australia, the two terms are more strictly differentiated. In Australia and South Africa, the term "jam" is more popularly used as a generic term for both jam and jelly.[14][15]

To further confuse the issue, the term "jelly" is also used in the UK, South Africa, Australia, India and New Zealand to refer to a gelatin dessert, known in North America as jello, derived from the brand name Jell-O
    Which is the kind used on PB&J sandwiches? I assumed it was the no-bit (jelly) kind.
    It even has its own page!
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Peanut_butter_and_jelly_sandwich
    The peanut butter and jelly sandwich (PB&J or peanut butter and jam sandwich in Australia and the United Kingdom) is a sandwich, popular in North America, that includes a layer of peanut butter and either jam or jelly on bread, commonly between two slices, but sometimes eaten open-faced.

A 2002 survey showed the average American will have eaten 1,500 of these sandwiches before graduating from high school.[
    I would imagine the no bit is more popular, just guessing since they like their processed muck!, I remember being in NY and getting sick of pigging out on junk, I went to some supermarket, the bread all had use by dates miles off and high in sugars and the only cheese I saw was in a spray can!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,992 ✭✭✭Korvanica

Advertisement