Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Don Thornhill's report on teaching & competitiveness

• 06-09-2011 8:19am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,420 ✭✭✭

Did anybody hear Don Thornhill of the National Competitiveness Council talking on Morning Ireland this morning (starts at 7.54am)?

Listen back here (available after 9am sometime).

I only caught part of it but it seems he's proposing shorter holidays claiming that the evidence states it's better for students. That was enough for me; the holidays are part of the quality of life that attracted me into teaching and into accepting much lower pay than other professionals with whom I went to college.
    If the government implements his recommendations regarding the holidays, how is that going to pan out: will teachers be paid extra or be expected to work the extra time for nothing?

Dr Thornhill's report is due out very shortly and if this is a taste of it we are in for interesting times.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,188 ✭✭✭mrboswell

Dionysus wrote: »
    If the government implements his recommendations regarding the holidays, how is that going to pan out: will teachers be paid extra or be expected to work the extra time for nothing?

Dr Thornhill's report is due out very shortly and if this is a taste of it we are in for interesting times.

Are you joking? You don't really think that they will want to give us more money do you? I be down to paddypower putting a few quid on them expecting us to give up holidays.

Like you, there will be many who will not be willing to give up holidays. We are already back the last week in August. Its a long time since teachers had a 3 month holiday anyway. Cutting the pay is one thing but the conditions is another thing altogether.

I suspect there may be an appetite for strike if that comes about...

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,271 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

The 'holidays' are a cheap shot.
    If anyone was serious about saving money they would be looking at the fact that almost all small towns in Ireland have at least three small second-level schools serving them, all offering the same or similar curricula.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,937 ✭✭✭implausible

I only heard bits of it, but did I hear him say something about the length of the school day too?

• Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭raytray

Yes he said school day is too long, especially for younger students, but the holidays are too long also. His recommendations will be ready in Nov/Dec.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 4,516 Mod ✭✭✭✭dory

Not a hope teachers will get paid more for the extra hours! My guess is the holidays will eventually get reduced and pay will stay the same.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,596 ✭✭✭✭TheDriver

i must correct ye on the 3 months thing, we work the 167 days in secondary no matter when we start/finish. So we are working no more days than few years back except maybe croke park hours.
    Shorter hols and shorter days would be a very long year and not good overall. What will the travel agents do though??

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,188 ✭✭✭mrboswell

dory wrote: »
    Not a hope teachers will get paid more for the extra hours! My guess is the holidays will eventually get reduced and pay will stay the same.

My guess is that won't be accepted. I can see a time when all teachers must remain in the school for the school day, but they can forget messing with the holidays.

Its a short but intense day, so the holidays are a necessity - mess with them at your peril...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,937 ✭✭✭implausible

The one positive I take from this bit of publicity is that there is a recognition of the intensity of the Irish secondary education system; it makes a change from only hearing whinging about the length of our holidays and only comparing that aspect to the situation in other countries.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,382 ✭✭✭✭rainbowtrout

TheDriver wrote: »
    i must correct ye on the 3 months thing, we work the 167 days in secondary no matter when we start/finish. So we are working no more days than few years back except maybe croke park hours.
    Shorter hols and shorter days would be a very long year and not good overall. What will the travel agents do though??

I'd echo that. We now have 2 full weeks holidays at Easter. I do remember a time when we didn't go back to school until 1st September but we only had a week and a half at Easter.

Advertisement