Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Deferral / Mature Student

Options
  • 06-09-2011 9:07am
    Registered Users Posts: 856 ✭✭✭

Hi guys, been reading a few threads here but can't seem to see anyone in my situation.

I got accepted into my Level 8 course this year but deferred it since it would cost me €7,000 to go back since I never completed my first year in UCC back in 2006. I just turned 23 this year so next year I can enter as a mature student. My questions are:

Am I entitled to the free fees next year as a mature student?
    Will I gain entry as a mature student with my deferred entry on the CAO?

Thanks!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 41,062 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

Battleflag wrote: »
    Hi guys, been reading a few threads here but can't seem to see anyone in my situation.

I got accepted into my Level 8 course this year but deferred it since it would cost me €7,000 to go back since I never completed my first year in UCC back in 2006. I just turned 23 this year so next year I can enter as a mature student. My questions are:

Am I entitled to the free fees next year as a mature student?
    Will I gain entry as a mature student with my deferred entry on the CAO?

Thanks!

I'm confused on this issue and I think it has changed this year - Upto now the situation is that if you waited 5 years you could be deemed a "second chance student" and this meant that you were eligible for free fees and the grant as a "second chance student" - I think (but I'm not really sure) that there has been changes to the definition of "second chance student" though - some mature students are being refused Grants because of courses over 20 years ago

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056368523

I think there is a difference between "second chance student" for the purpose of availing of "free fees" and "second chance student" for the purpose of availing of Grants. I would suggest going to your local VEC adult guidance service and asking them for clarification.

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

• Registered Users Posts: 856 ✭✭✭Battleflag

Thanks for your help, I contacted the VEC yesterday and they told me I would eligible for the second chance since it has been 5 years since I was in college. They also said that if I wanted to receive a grant I would have to be living independently for 2 months before September 2012.

I'm going to organise a meeting with them for next week just to make 100% sure, felt the phone call was a bit quick and didn't get all my questions in.

Thanks for your help

• Registered Users Posts: 41,062 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

Battleflag wrote: »
    Thanks for your help, I contacted the VEC yesterday and they told me I would eligible for the second chance since it has been 5 years since I was in college. They also said that if I wanted to receive a grant I would have to be living independently for 2 months before September 2012.

I'm going to organise a meeting with them for next week just to make 100% sure, felt the phone call was a bit quick and didn't get all my questions in.

Thanks for your help

I think that the bit about grants needs more clarification from them. The grant is assessed on where you lived in October of the previous year. So I actually think you would need to be living independently THIS October

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

• Closed Accounts Posts: 435 ✭✭tweedledee

Mango salsa is correct.
    The restrictions are many and varied now.Gov will use any method not to pay.If you are unemployed you will be entitled to BTEA,which is better than the VEC grant.For third level you need to be unemployed for 9 months previous for BTEA.
    If you are not accepted for free fees you will have to pay EU fees which is between 2000 and 3000 Euros!!!
    For first year you might have to pay fees next year and then you should be eligible for free fees from 2nd year onwards.Wait a few weeks until 2011 is sorted out(VEC and Dole are up the walls at the moment) and then get onto the VEC and social welfare office to discuss yer options.;)
    I was at a mature student open day in UL earlier this year and the rep from Social Welfare who was speaking actually told the huge crowd in the room that its waaaaaaaaaaay better to be on the dole if you want to go to college!!!!!!Yup he actually recommended us to stay on the dole for the year so we would get free entry for Uni.

• Registered Users Posts: 856 ✭✭✭Battleflag

Jesus I don't know if I could handle being on the dole for 9 months next year before uni, there's little to do as it is and wouldn't receive the full dole as I live at home.

Grant isn't the top of my priorities as I can get a transfer to part-time work in Dublin for uni next year so will still have some income, just in need of free fees!!

• Advertisement
Advertisement