Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dundrum Parking

Options
  • 06-09-2011 9:26am
    Registered Users Posts: 10

Been moved to Dundrum in a few weeks for work and wondered what the viable parking options are. There was a thread on this last year but looking to see if the situation is still the same.

Does anyone who works in the area know the best places to park? Are you still spot checked comig out of Ballally P&R? Is parking in the housing estates a viable option as have heard stories of vandelism etc.

Thanks

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,847 ✭✭✭HavingCrack

Whereabouts are you coming from OP?

If it's anywhere convenient to the Green Line Luas I would advise ditching the car and just taking the Luas to work. Likewise if you're living in the Ballinteer, Goatstown, Clonskeagh, Stillorgan areas etc cycling or even walking are all quite viable options.

Parking situation in Dundrum is pretty bad. A lot of the estates are full up quite early by 8 15ish maybe (resident could probably advise better). I wouldn't be afraid of vandalism really but more the fact that the roads are very narrow and cars do get scraped.

What do you mean by 'spot checked?'. I don't really understand.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,480 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

No polite way of saying this, but as a resident stay the **** out of my estate.

• Registered Users Posts: 10 karensgal

@bucketybuck I've no intention of parking in the estates. I know how annoying it is to have cars piled into your estate and I wouldn't risk have my car scratched etc.

@havingcrack Thanks for the response - I'm coming from Citywest so the greenline is not really an option. I'd have to go into town first which already takes an hour by itself.
    I'm going to keep my eye out for a private space and will probably park in Windy arbour untill then. Hope it's not too much of a walk.
    I've heard the Ballaly P&R can get full quite early also whatI meant by spot checked is that parking attendents are entitled to ask to see your luad ticket as you leave and if you don't have one you can receive an on the spot fine of up to €45 as parking is only supposed to be for Luas users.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,524 ✭✭✭✭ted1

the 75 goes from the square to dun laoighre via dundrum. that may be an option.

http://www.dublinbus.ie/en/Your-Journey1/Timetables/All-Timetables/75/

• Registered Users Posts: 12,006 ✭✭✭✭Exclamation Marc

karensgal wrote: »
    Been moved to Dundrum in a few weeks for work and wondered what the viable parking options are. There was a thread on this last year but looking to see if the situation is still the same.

Does anyone who works in the area know the best places to park? Are you still spot checked comig out of Ballally P&R? Is parking in the housing estates a viable option as have heard stories of vandelism etc.

Thanks

Best option would be getting the Luas to Dundrum itself. Having worked in Dundrum myself and having had to park in Dundrum you're better off just not bothering.
    There are spot checks in the Ballaly P&R and I know a few people who have been fined for using it without using the Luas itself.

Don't bother parking in estates either, although they are public roads some of the residents don't take kindly to it and whilst most residents may be angry but not act on it, I know a few people who've come home from work after parking in nearby estates with broken wingmirrors and scratched cars and I've had one incident myself with a resident.

It's a nightmare to get to Dundrum as there aren't enough buses or routes passing it but the Luas is your best option. There's a cheap enough car park in Sandyford (think its 2-4euro per day) and then get a Luas into Ballaly/Dundrum.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,644 ✭✭✭SerialComplaint

karensgal wrote: »
    I've heard the Ballaly P&R can get full quite early also whatI meant by spot checked is that parking attendents are entitled to ask to see your luad ticket as you leave and if you don't have one you can receive an on the spot fine of up to €45 as parking is only supposed to be for Luas users.
    Do they have a smart card reader that can check if you just used you smartcard?

Would the 75 bus be any use to you? Park somewhere in Tallaght and get the bus over...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,027 ✭✭✭Blut2

Are you only allowed park in the Ballaly P&R if you're using the Luas? I've parked there loads of times in the past to pop in to the shops there and figured if I paid for a ticket it was all good.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 babar2964

I have been to many fascinating places in my life, from Australia to America, Eastern Asia to Cuba, but by far the most dynamic and inspiring place.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,480 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

babar2964 wrote: »
    I have been to many fascinating places in my life, from Australia to America, Eastern Asia to Cuba, but by far the most dynamic and inspiring place.

He said parking, not Peking.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,644 ✭✭✭SerialComplaint

Blut2 wrote: »
    Are you only allowed park in the Ballaly P&R if you're using the Luas?
    Yes - read the notice board on the way in for the terms and conditions.

• Advertisement
Advertisement