Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Surfing Close to Dublin this week?

Options
  • 06-09-2011 9:44am
    Registered Users Posts: 444 ✭✭

Hi,

I am fairly new to surfing but have been trying to read swell and wind maps to pick my weekends out west and seen that it seems to be wrapping around towards Dublin this week.

Does anyone know if that is correct and if so know anywhere surfable in the Dublin area or within driving distance?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,987 ✭✭✭spaceHopper

Rippeditup wrote: »
    Hi,

I am fairly new to surfing but have been trying to read swell and wind maps to pick my weekends out west and seen that it seems to be wrapping around towards Dublin this week.

Does anyone know if that is correct and if so know anywhere surfable in the Dublin area or within driving distance?

Well if done for figuring out that much, if your a bebinner there is a well know beach south of wicklow Magermore that could be worth a look or Brittas Bay

• Registered Users Posts: 444 ✭✭Rippeditup

Sweet thanks.

Not hard to figure out the basics but it's the lack of knowledge of the beaches that is the issue.

Might take a look down Wicklow one evening then as would be nice to get a mid week surf.

Thanks

Rippeditup wrote: »
    Sweet thanks.

Not hard to figure out the basics but it's the lack of knowledge of the beaches that is the issue.

Might take a look down Wicklow one evening then as would be nice to get a mid week surf.

Thanks
    It's not hard but alot don't put in the effort. Google LUD's FAQ

• Registered Users Posts: 1,728 ✭✭✭rodento

You sound like a beginner so find someone to surf with before exploring new spots

• Advertisement

rodento wrote: »
    You sound like a beginner so find someone to surf with before exploring new spots

Ahh yeah of course. But thanks for the warning.

I am not a total beginner as been on a surf week in Morocco and been out west 6 or 7 times over the last 3 months. We have a few of us at it and one or 2 good surfers who are from France who surf with us.

Most of surf we get is storm/wind surge and this has little or no period, all this means is that there is generally waves every 5 seconds and you tend to get battered if you can't get out back. Also because its storm surf rips and currents also tend to be a problem. After surfing the east coast for over 10 years i can safely say that beginners tend to get battered and are better off learning on beachs with facilities like surf schools on them.

Nice rule of thumb, if the surf school is out its safe to head out:D

Cool thanks for the advice. Is there surf schools on this side? Can't make it west this wend and looks big and windy over there so no point.

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,239 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

Rodento will know better, but off the top of my head I would think Tramore in Waterford to be closest surf school to Dublin.

Rodent is just stirring, use some common sense, also there will be others there if surf is any good. On a S swell / S wind the beach is relatively safe, but on a N wind it is dangerous. Rodent knows the beach well he's surf there before lots of times.

• Advertisement

I know the beach well and thats why I said I wouldn't head there on my own if I was a beginner, its a simple case that beginners don't understand tides/winds/swells and the place is quite quiet mid week when colleges/schools start

Thats why I said he is better off heading down with others

Also its a bugger of a place to get back to the car if something did go wrong like twisting an ankle jumping off the board to close to the beach

• Registered Users Posts: 192 ✭✭Blindside87

This weekend could be decent down in Wicklow. Might head down on Saturday morning and see what the story is, if I do ill try post here from my phone. ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,158 ✭✭✭frag420

Anyone going out thus weekend fancy some company as I have no transport. I live close to city centre.
    Have not been out in ages and I am starting to dry out!!

Il bring sweets!!

frAg

• Registered Users Posts: 3,533 ✭✭✭iceage

T bay in Waterford, Hi tide is 5pm-ish tomorrow. Monday is gonna be massive, too big I reckon, West coast is gonna be hammered Monday waves in excess of 20ft! if Met Eir. have it right. Stay safe and don't get caught out.

• Registered Users Posts: 109 ✭✭draylander

any spots in dublin or around worth going to this week?

• Registered Users Posts: 396 ✭✭revileandy

Rush South Beach looked good on saturday afternoon but I didn't have time to get in over the weekend. Gonna head back this evening and have a look

Was down in Wicklow on Tuesday..was clean but small. Was a nice day though so didn't really mind!
    :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 REWSTER28

any one going out in killiney on friday for a paddle?

Might pp out to MM in Wicklow tomorrow! Never surfed Killiney any use?

only brought my board down from donegal recently, havent got out yet, watched few out in killiney surfing and if the conditions are good i.e southerly storm/swell it can be ok. check this from killiney on youtube

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mm8bv_xKfXs

• Advertisement

supposedly. worth a go i reckon!!

Was out in MM in Wicklow yesterday, got good enough around 6ish.

Could be ok the end of this week.

Looks like it ill be good in Wicklow this Wed, Thur and Friday if any1 is about. :)

sounds good. anyone got directions? think ill go check it out on wednesday.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,158 ✭✭✭frag420

anyone wanna give me a lift from Dublin ha ha

draylander wrote: »
    sounds good. anyone got directions? think ill go check it out on wednesday.

From Dublin I presume?

http://www2.aaireland.ie/routes_beta/

Once in Wicklow head for MagherMor out towards Brittas Bay. (spelling?).

Cheers for that. just wasnt sure that MM was the same place I was thinking of.
    Anyone going to check it out. ill probably swing by in the morning

• Registered Users Posts: 111 ✭✭Wopp

draylander wrote: »
    any spots in dublin or around worth going to this week?

Killiney and white rock were dead when I saw them earlier...

• Registered Users Posts: 26 conman78new

Wopp wrote: »
    Killiney and white rock were dead when I saw them earlier...

They don't work on westerly's is why, for obvious reasons. Has to be some southerly. MM was good yday til the tide got too full

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 26 conman78new

Maghermore was good this morn and early avo til about 2ish today. bout 8/9 out

Advertisement