Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Surfing Close to Dublin this week?

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 44 darragh97

Maghermore was good this morn and early avo til about 2ish today. bout 8/9 out
    Worth going down this weekend?

• Registered Users Posts: 92 ✭✭didds

anyone out there today?

• Registered Users Posts: 26 conman78new

Fri and Sat look ok at this stage. Sun might be a bit too crazy unless u find seriously good sheltered water, just keep an eye on the southerlys and M2 buoy. Waste of petrol if you head down today

Fri and Sat look ok at this stage. Sun might be a bit too crazy unless u find seriously good sheltered water, just keep an eye on the southerlys and M2 buoy. Waste of petrol if you head down today

Hi,
    Had figured that much from whating the charts on Magic seaweed etc. I have no personal knowledge of this beach though. Any particular objective hazards there? Stong rips etc (I know that increases with the volume / power of swell / waves etc)
    Thinking of having a look Friday morn as it'll be my only chance to get wet this weekend.
    Any suggestions of good books/websites to teach me a better understanding of waves/tides/swell??
    Cheers.

http://www.pol.ac.uk/ntslf/tides/?port=0072
    http://www.marine.ie/home/publicationsdata/data/buoys/observations.htm#M2
    http://magicseaweed.com/msw-surf-charts2.php?chart=1&res=750&type=wind&starttime=1319068800

All you need for the east coast on those links. Do a search on this site for the beach, loads of info in other threads and google the rest. Just go explore the coast like us all!

• Advertisement

http://www.pol.ac.uk/ntslf/tides/?port=0072
    http://www.marine.ie/home/publicationsdata/data/buoys/observations.htm#M2
    http://magicseaweed.com/msw-surf-charts2.php?chart=1&res=750&type=wind&starttime=1319068800

All you need for the east coast on those links. Do a search on this site for the beach, loads of info in other threads and google the rest. Just go explore the coast like us all!

Cheers for those, useful info there. I've been exploring the coast, down in Kerry and up in donegal though. My favourite secluded beaches and headlands have taken on a whole new life lately (you find great spots working as a hiking guide/climber) Last weekend was amazing in Kerry... I'm from Wicklow though, still live there, so nice to know that however rare, I may get to ride waves half an hour away..
    Appreciate the links.

• Registered Users Posts: 192 ✭✭Blindside87

Might fly down tomorrow morning and see if it's any use. Northerly winds tomorrow not sure how well they work on MM?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,987 ✭✭✭spaceHopper

Northerly winds tomorrow not sure how well they work on MM?

What forecast are you looking at every thing I've checked shows strong southerlys. FYI NEVER surf MM on a Notherly wind you will get washed around the headland and out to sea

Oops sorry your right it is a southerly wind. In other news, I have surfed Wicklow harbour on a north easterly gale force wind! Serious craic..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,916 ✭✭✭NickDrake

Do you think Killiney will get a wave tomorrow? Conditions looks favourable.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,728 ✭✭✭rodento

Really poor forecast with little or no low tide, so you'd be wasting your time

Anyone heading down today? I hear there's a lot of white water down the coast..not sure about MM though.

• Registered Users Posts: 111 ✭✭Wopp

Any surf around Dublin today?

Ans: yes, everywhere.

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,239 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

How good does it actually get around those parts? I presume you need high winds followed by a sudden calm period or does actual swell reach dublin occasionally?

Mickeroo wrote: »
    How good does it actually get around those parts? I presume you need high winds followed by a sudden calm period or does actual swell reach dublin occasionally?

If your replying to my post, it was a very bad joke about all the flooding we experienced today! The skimboard was out, but falling on concrete is alot different to falling on sand ;)

But to try answer your question, any surfable wave is a good wave on the east coast in my opinion....

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,239 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

Wopp wrote: »
    If your replying to my post, it was a very bad joke about all the flooding we experienced today! The skimboard was out, but falling on concrete is alot different to falling on sand ;)

Haha my bad, should have copped that there :D

• Registered Users Posts: 480 ✭✭Morf3h

anyone looked at forecast for next day or two? SSE with low tides after work could be a runner at white rock?

I went out last time the forcast it looked like that and there was nothing! So id say if your really lucky you might get something...

But please keep this updated if there is anything going!

• Registered Users Posts: 286 ✭✭keryl

I've always thought with the amount of westerly winds we get that with a big swell it would be an offshore heaven on the south of Leinster...

keryl wrote: »
    I've always thought with the amount of westerly winds we get that with a big swell it would be an offshore heaven on the south of Leinster...

That's exactly it. When you check the swell charts you will see the wrap around too. Some great conditions all Nov & Dec in Wicklow/Wex area.

SSE prob have a wave but it'll be bit small and choppy and dark by low low tide. Friday morn looks good for MM

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2 Johnny surfer

Very rarely. I am always waiting and watching, but it mostly just gets wind-swell. I thought the S.E. that had been blowing last week would have dragged swell up the east coast, and forecasters were saying there over a meter swell. When I ventured down the east coast it was onshore (just blown out and choppy). I have tried it so many times, and desperately was thinking of trying it again today but it's really bad. I have wasted too many drives. When it gets clean enough to be nice, it's usually small. But don't totally go by my bad experiences, I hear it can be good, but I seem to miss it. I simply wait till I have the time and money to go west when websites show it's good. It's worth it for a more reliable fun day.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 Johnny surfer

You're right. Forecasters made it look like the east was finally going to have some good surf, and it was crap. I combed each beach from Dublin ti Wexford and grabbed few onshore choppy waves just to get SOME kind of surf before it got dark. But I live in hope.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,207 ✭✭✭✭MadYaker

I love living on the west coast.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,653 ✭✭✭John_Rambo

MadYaker wrote: »
    I love living on the west coast.

Not much surf where you are though.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,728 ✭✭✭rodento

One would have hoped the op would've got the answer they were looking for sometime in the last two years

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,017 ✭✭✭the_doctor199

Sorry to bring back up an old thread, but looking to take the kids out somewhere tomorrow and wouldn't mind seeing some surfing, anywhere near Dublin likely to have anyone out at any stage tomorrow? Cheers

Advertisement