Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

First custom media PC help required

Options
  • 06-09-2011 10:00am
    Registered Users Posts: 734 ✭✭✭

Hi all,

I am looking to build a PC for myself. Looking to keep it to the €300 range. Looks aren't important and don't need any peripherals

Will be used mostly for watching movies and internet stuff via something like xbmc via TV.

Will be used as a nigthly backup machine for laptop (important for work)

Gaming, not a huge gamer but something that could handle something well with a big TV would be nice.

I was looking at upgrading an old Dell PC but on advice receive for people here have decided to just go with a new one.

Was suggested here that I begin my own thread

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 46 ricko187

Am trying to build myself the same sort of set up have a look at thishttp://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056377459

May need to upgrade the graphics card if planning on playing any games, also get rid of the ssd to lower the cost!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,710 ✭✭✭Monotype

Do you need windows?

• Registered Users Posts: 734 ✭✭✭sealgaire

No I can sort the OS out myself handy enough

Thanks ricko187, i will check out your post

Looking through prices and given that you wanted a 1TB HDD, you really need to cut out the graphics card to get around €300. Modern integrated graphics will handle HD videos but only older games. I don't think it's worth scaling the processor back to a dual or single core as you wouldn't save much money.

Total build cost: €265.99 + €30 shipping
    ASRock 880GM-LE, Sockel AM3, mATX|€53.03
    Xigmatek Asgard, ATX, ohne Netzteil, schwarz|€31.61
    LG GH24NS bare schwarz|€17.06
    Super-Flower Amazon 80Plus 450W|€41.00
    Samsung SpinPoint F3 1000GB, SATA II (HD103SJ)|€46.19
    4GB Corsair Valueselect DDR3-1333 CL9|€17.23
    AMD Athlon II X3 450 "Boxed" 95W, Sockel AM3|€59.87

IMO, go with something like the above. When you have a bit more money, add in a graphics card. 450W will be enough for mainstream cards up to the 6870.

If you do this, I would recommend that you spend a little more on the board and get something with SATA 6Gbps, USB 3, four RAM slots and is listed as compatible with AM3+ processors.
    http://www1.hardwareversand.de/articledetail.jsp?aid=42047

• Advertisement

Thanks for that.

If I were to take your advice with the
    http://www1.hardwareversand.de/artic....jsp?aid=42047
    motherboard (which is only a little bit more expensive) it would prob be for the best as it would be more future proof.

Re the graphics card, I would like something decent, even if that pushed me over the 300 mark. Really want proper playback for movies and wouldn't mind playing COD etc with xbox quality.

Would there be much noise out of that machine?

That's clearance stock and a 6770 would be cheaper + better.
    http://www3.hardwareversand.de/articledetail.jsp?aid=49393

It should enable you to run anything at 720p and less intensive games at 1080p.
    Definitely better than console quality.

Cool, will add that to my list and see where that leaves me

How would the system above be noise wise?

The dimension 4600 i've rigged up at the moment is a pig!

• Advertisement

You can adjust the speed of the fan at the back. The one at the front is noisier. You could replace them later if you wanted something quieter.
    The CPU and graphics card fans will adjust themselves according to temperature (you'll have to tell it to do it in the BIOS settings for the CPU one). These are usually noisy at full load but should be quiet for just idling and browsing.

Is there any advantage to an AMD chip to an Intel?

Should I invest more in a better motherboard?
    I was looking at this - MSI 880GMA-E55 Sockel AM3, mATX, PCIe
    (doesn't seem to be on site anymore)

I am going to add this:

http://www1.hardwareversand.de/articledetail.jsp?aid=49393&agid=1004

what you think?
    Gonna up the budget to 400

How much did that board cost? Was it seventy something? HWV seems to be very much out of stock in motherboards at the moment. This is a good board for €81.59 although a bit over your needs. http://www1.hardwareversand.de/articledetail.jsp?aid=48516

Graphics card is fine. You could go with intel if you want but I think AMD is better for the tight budget. They will also be releasing new processors soon (rumours are this month or next) so you have an upgrade path.

It was costing €76.49

Is there much of a benifit between that one you are suggesting there and the orignal ASRock board you mentioned at the beginning.

There is not much point in me building this yoke if it will not be much good at the end of the day.

Here's an alternative board, I don't think it was in stock earlier and it's a bit cheaper than the MSI.
    http://www2.hardwareversand.de/articledetail.jsp?aid=48268
    http://uk.gigabyte.com/products/product-page.aspx?pid=3908

It's compatible with the new processors as well as the extras such as usb 3 & SATA 6Gbps. No integrated graphics, but you don't need it.

USB 3 is becoming more important now - mainly for use in hard drive docks but USB 3 sticks are more widely available. SATA 6Gbps is nearly essential if you want an SSD in the future. You could always get PCI-E cards to add these features later but you would need a board with enough slots.
    I think compatibility with the next processor line-up is very important. Not all boards are compatible and you should try to keep options open.

Edit: 4 RAM slots instead of 2 is also a big advantage!

You don't have a CPU in there!

You can get 8GB RAM if you want. It's doubtful that you'd need that much. 4GB is enough for any regular programs or games. The only reason would be in case it goes up as it is so cheap now. If you do get 8GB, buy a 2x4GB kit.

sorry, had spotted that and tried to delete thread.

I will look at this again tonight.

Might forget the ram so

Thanks for help BTW

Ok, here goes (again)

Training up a new guy at work and he was driving me mad! :-)

Total build cost: €379.10 + €30 shipping
    Samsung SpinPoint F3 1000GB, SATA II (HD103SJ) €46.19
    AMD Athlon II X3 450 "Boxed" 95W, Sockel AM3 €59.87
    4GB Corsair Valueselect DDR3-1333 CL9 €17.23
    Super-Flower Amazon 80Plus 450W €41.00
    LG GH24NS bare schwarz €17.06
    Xigmatek Asgard, ATX, ohne Netzteil, schwarz €31.61
    ASRock 970 Extreme4, AM3+, ATX €81.59
    Club 3D Radeon 6770 1024MB, AMD Radeon 6770, PCI-Express €84.55

This is what I'm thinking.
    How would this compare against, say a 360, graphics wise? That's all i'm able to benchmark against.

It would be more powerful in every way. The 360 is more optimised for games but even so, it runs just about every game at 720p with details and framerates low. 720p should give you very nice details and frames. You should also be able to go up to 1080p in most games but you'll have to scale back some detail in the more demanding ones.

Scroll down to have a look at resolutions and Anti Aliasing levels of the various games. Most are at 720p. A good few below but very few above. 1080p is double the number of pixels to work with so it's a big step.
    http://forum.beyond3d.com/showthread.php?t=46241

Excellent, thanks Monotype for all the help.

I will read the llink you provided

• Advertisement

HELP NEEDED

OK, got everything yesterday but in my haste I screwed the MB directly onto the case, not by using the little stands,

I fired it up and aftre a few mins smoke started to come from the ATX Power Connector.

I also hadn't the seperate 12v power connector connected.

Knocked it off, took it apart and put it back properly.

Now when I turn it on it fires up for a second and then dies. . .

Which part is causing the problem?

:(

Have a look at the PSU and motherboard connectors to inspect for electrical damage.

Have you got any parts that you could substitute to eliminate possibilities?

ok very strange,

When I disconnect the ATX 12V Power connector it boots. Well it fires up at any rate.

I didnt have this connected last night when i had my cockup

ok read this might be issue

OK, if you're getting it to flash on/off again, there are a few things that can cause it:

(1) The thermal sensor detects the CPU fan is not plugged in or seated properly.
    (2) The CPU is not seated properly.
    (3) A video card is not in the primary #1 PCI-E slot, or has insufficient power if it requires a PCI-E power connector attached.
    (4) You have a grounding issue, where the board is grounded to the case.
    (5) If you're using any of these cards, you need this PSU or HIGHER.

ok, when i take it out its runs fine. it must be shorting out on something on the case.

THe standoffs, do they have to be insulated? Maybe i shoul put some insulating tape on them ? and sit the mobo on that?

ok its back to its old tricks, have it sitting on a cardboard box and back to the old problem.

so guess its not a grounding issue

only happening when 12v cpu connection is plugged in.

mobo burned?

I cleared the CMOS and it was working again.

I knocked it off and on again and not working again.

ARGH

Tried a PS from an old Dell inspiron. same issue. guess that rules out the PS. Gonna try return the mobo. Hopefully I'll get a replacement. Its either that or the CPU

I haven't heard of that problem before; usually, it's the opposite.

I was going to suggest a multimeter to test the PSU but if the other one has the same problems, then it sounds like the motherboard.

• Advertisement

How has this nearly gotten so expensive since??

Samsung SpinPoint F3 1000GB, SATA II (HD103SJ) €46.19
    now €109

Advertisement