Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

WIRE WORM

Options
  • 06-09-2011 10:01am
    Registered Users Posts: 958 ✭✭✭

I have noticed that some of my potatoe crop this year have been attacked by wire worm. Its my third year planting potatoes in this plot and i know people say to rotate crops every few years but is there any way of getting rid of these wire worm ?:(

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 187 ✭✭noworries

I have noticed that some of my potatoe crop this year have been attacked by wire worm. Its my third year planting potatoes in this plot and i know people say to rotate crops every few years but is there any way of getting rid of these wire worm ?:(

http://www.teagasc.ie/publications/2004/20040226/paper1.asp

The best info on wire worm is in the above teagasc link.

Short answer: Rotate EVERY year. If you have an infestation. don't grow potatoes there again for at least 3-5 years - no chemical treatment available.

• Registered Users Posts: 947 ✭✭✭fodda

Just to make sure you have wireworm www.grow-your-own.ie/potatopests.html

If you keep growing spuds in the same spot then you will never get rid. Dig the ground over regulary and let the birds get in and grow some none root crops.

Advertisement