Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

galvanised conduit outside

Options
  • 06-09-2011 10:11am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 4,431 ✭✭✭

i see this a lot of places with through boxes and dome covers for outside ighting

is it acceptable at all

or should it be a continuous piece if it's outside

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14 redgapjack

The through boxes are for the drawing of cables and they are usually placed every two lenghts of conduit or after two bends.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,591 Mod ✭✭✭✭2011

I would use a T box with a gasket and stuffing gland of outside lights. Continous is best if possible. Don't forget paint to prevent rusting.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,431 ✭✭✭M cebee

Do those tees or domes for outside lighting comply

If using singles, i would tend to use flexible conduit glanded into the box and fitting and terminate the cables direct into the fitting

Not sure about the paint thou, i'd put some galv paint on where we threaded for boxes and couplers but not the entire conduit.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,591 Mod ✭✭✭✭2011

put some galv paint on where we threaded for boxes and couplers but not the entire conduit.
    Exactly my point.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,431 ✭✭✭M cebee

what is the ip rating of a galvanized box and cover

2011 wrote: »
    Exactly my point.

Jaysus imagine that 'ahh that's great work lads but while your there will you stick a bit of paint on the conduit....i like blue what do yous think?'

Wouldnt surprise me :rolleyes:

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 15,858 ✭✭✭✭paddy147

redgapjack wrote: »
    Jaysus imagine that 'ahh that's great work lads but while your there will you stick a bit of paint on the conduit....i like blue what do yous think?'

MIght even get asked to dig a trench too,while you are at it.:pac::pac::D

paddy147 wrote: »
    MIght even get asked to dig a trench too,while you are at it.:pac::pac::D

Ohh that has happened!

Did you wire up that RCBO and pond yet?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,422 ✭✭✭✭Bruthal

Whats an rcbo for?

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 15,858 ✭✭✭✭paddy147

Ohh that has happened!

Did you wire up that RCBO and pond yet?

Not yet,as the girlfriend has me out choosing paint colours and buying this morning and afternoon with her in Fleetwood Trade.

Al this picking and choosing is tough work you know.:pac::D

Anyway......................

The use galvanized paint on all cuts for steel conduit, tray, trunking and unistrut is specifically mentioned in the scope of work for many large projects.
    This would apply more so to parts of installations that are in outside areas (but often to indoors too).
    It makes sense as the steel is protective zinc layer is lost once the steel is cut (or threaded) causing these points to rust rapidly.
    Electrical contractors would often have to submit costs as part of their tender package for this.

M cebee wrote: »
    what is the ip rating of a galvanized box and cover

To be honest, I don't know. Once the M4 hole at the back of the box has a bolt in it and the proper gasket is used it would be fine on a wall outside. I would normally install a T box on the wall with conduit entering and leaving left and right for and a flex coming from the final spout that is facing down (this will reduce the ingress of moisture). I would use a stuffing/SWA gland in this spout for a flex or SWA to feed the light.

I have seen this done many times with no issues.

Advertisement