Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Eviction Notice from Landlord

Options
  • 06-09-2011 10:50am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3

Hi

Whats the legal notice period for someone renting a house with no lease for 3 years?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 33,931 ✭✭✭✭listermint

DaveIe wrote: »
    Hi

I have been renting a house for 3+ years with my gf and daughter.
    I didn't sign any lease as the landlord was living in the house also.
    This week my landlord decided to move and because we are unable to cover rent for the full house he has advertised the entire house for rent and whoever can move in straight away!
    Where does this leave us 3? Whats the legal notice period for my situation?

Have you not explored renting the house from him for yourself ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,455 ✭✭✭✭Monty Burnz

listermint wrote: »
    Have you not explored renting the house from him for yourself ?
    He says he can't cover the cost of renting the whole house.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,305 ✭✭✭Zamboni

DaveIe wrote: »
    Hi

This week my landlord decided to move and because we are unable to cover rent for the full house he has advertised the entire house for rent and whoever can move in straight away!
    Where does this leave us 3? Whats the legal notice period for my situation?

No they can't.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,931 ✭✭✭✭listermint

He says he can't cover the cost of renting the whole house.

Sorry missed that part

• Registered Users Posts: 37,299 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

If the landlord also lived in the house, you were not renting the house, you were renting rooms. Also, I think as the LL was living with you, he can give you very little notice to get out.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,879 ✭✭✭D3PO

the_syco wrote: »
    If the landlord also lived in the house, you were not renting the house, you were renting rooms. Also, I think as the LL was living with you, he can give you very little notice to get out.

This you have no rights as a lincee and no set notice period. Whatever the landlord wants really. best to just get looking for somewhere new,

• Registered Users Posts: 1,747 ✭✭✭mdebets

D3PO wrote: »
    This you have no rights as a lincee and no set notice period. Whatever the landlord wants really. best to just get looking for somewhere new,
    But as the landlord has already moved out, would that not have transformed this to a normal tenant-landlord relationship, rather than a licencee-landlord relationship?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,879 ✭✭✭D3PO

mdebets wrote: »
    But as the landlord has already moved out, would that not have transformed this to a normal tenant-landlord relationship, rather than a licencee-landlord relationship?

possibly I dont know how the legal argument there would go. Best case its part 4 from that point so your talking a months notice.

i never see the point in tennats dragging this out. you have to move its enevitable there isnt a shortage so jsut go get it done.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,285 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

Eviction notice from landlord?

First off- as the landlord was living in his house- he is not in fact your landlord, nor are you his tenants. You have been living in the property under licence- and are not covered by any tenancy law.

He can ask you to leave without any notice whatsoever, you could argue it and fight it- but ultimately irrespective of the fact that you've been there for 3 years, you were not a tenant and have not accrued any rights that a tenant might have done.

You are going to have to move- one way or the other- If I were in your position I'd look elsewhere immediately, meanwhile I'd liaise with the current guy and organise to facilitate viewings at his convenience, on the understand that as soon as he got tenants for the house and agreed a move-in date with them, that you would move immediately.

• Registered Users Posts: 78,399 ✭✭✭✭Victor

He need only give reasonable notice. Given that you are a family and have been there more than 3 years, I would say at least several weeks.

Another rule of thumb would be if you pay rent weekly or monthly - that would be the notice period.

Would it be possible for you to rent the property and get a lodger? This may be difficult, but there are lots of students looking at the moment.

• Advertisement
Advertisement