Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Wasting a WHV?

Options
  • 06-09-2011 10:52am
    Registered Users Posts: 5

Hey guys,

Basically looking for some advice. I just found out that I've failed my college repeats and it's come as a bit of a shock since I already repeated the year (I would have been going into 3rd year)and gave it my best shot but obviously it's not the right course for me. So as of now I'm working a part time job I can't stand and don't think I could do for another year until I can start another course. Last year I considered a WHV in Oz until I decided to repeat but now I'm thinking I might as well make the most of the year out, however some people have told me that I'd be wasting the opportunity to work in Oz since I have no degree and all my work experience is unskilled. The thing is I have no problem with fruit picking etc for a year but am I wrong in thinking that even the people with degrees end up working these jobs anyway? Should I go anyway or am I better off staying here and doing the WHV in a few years? Sorry about the long post, any advice would be appreciated.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,240 ✭✭✭hussey

OP it is really up to you, you certainly won't waste your WHV if you stay a full year and enjoy it.

But with no qualifications there is a very slim chance of a skilled job or sponsorship (which most people are going for now)

If you have no qualms about a fruit picking job, then you can pick up a 2nd year visa if you like it and want to stay for another year.

In my opinion most Irish seem to come over a bit later 24-26 seems to be around the avg age (based purely on observation) whilst European counterparts seem to come over before thir 3rd level education.

they sometime struggle with jobs and have to work multiple unskilled jobs, but that could also be lack of English.

If you don't mind all these hurdles then come out, it might be tough, but it's a great place to come to

• Registered Users Posts: 4,435 ✭✭✭mandrake04

Plenty of people come (or will be coming) with degrees and will end up working in crap jobs anyway, having a degree is no guarantee to getting regular work or a professional job when you are only limited to 6 months on a WHV. Similarly people with no qualifications or experience can come and land a gig making decent enough coin. What ever happens just enjoy your holiday.

A degree without experience is basically toilet paper, I have worked for 5 different employers in Ireland, UK & Australia and have never been asked to show my degree..... in fact its still hanging in its frame on my parents wall. Employers only want to know about experience.

The big difference is maybe coming on a WHV and wanting to get sponsored to stay on or seeking a backdoor to PR , a degree or trade papers would definitely look better on immigration forms than nothing at all. If you are looking to come on a working holiday as a back door to emigration then it would be a waste of a WHV with nothing in your back pocket imo

• Registered Users Posts: 9,248 ✭✭✭Plug

Sorry for high jacking your thread OP but does anyone know if you need to be qualified at something before you get a working visa to Australia? I'll be just qualified next year as a mechanic before I go but my brother does not even have a leaving cert. Anyone know if he can go or not? Cheers.

• Registered Users Posts: 921 ✭✭✭sonic.trip

I came in January on a WHV in the hope of getting experience (and possibly sponsorhip) which I couldn't get in Ireland with my degree. I found a job and was offered sponsorhip but wasn't happy in the job so I left after the 6months. Anyway as mandrake said it's all about experience. I've decided to go do the regional work for the second year visa.

Your degree isn't everything as most of them are worthless in Ireland at the moment as I've found over the last 2-3 years, but will obviously be more beneficial when the recession is over. You will pick up unskilled work in Australia on a WHV if your willing to do regional work, labouring etc etc. Might be no harm to take a year out and go back to it with a fresh head!

• Registered Users Posts: 921 ✭✭✭sonic.trip

Plug wrote: »
    Sorry for high jacking your thread OP but does anyone know if you need to be qualified at something before you get a working visa to Australia? I'll be just qualified next year as a mechanic before I go but my brother does not even have a leaving cert. Anyone know if he can go or not? Cheers.

Not that I'm aware off from filling my visa application out. It does ask you what you do etc but as it's a working holiday visa your primary purpose is supposed to be a holidaying.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,248 ✭✭✭Plug

sonic.trip wrote: »
    Not that I'm aware off from filling my visa application out. It does ask you what you do etc but as it's a working holiday visa your primary purpose is supposed to be a holidaying.
    Is it hard to get a proper working visa or would that mean migration?

• Registered Users Posts: 514 ✭✭✭Dazzler88

d_n_c wrote: »
    Should I go anyway or am I better off staying here and doing the WHV in a few years? Sorry about the long post, any advice would be appreciated.

The WHV will give you the same opportunities either way.If you do finish your degree,you will be able to get a skilled migration,provided your degree is on the list.If I were you there is no harm going out there unskilled,there is still loads of unskilled jobs in Construction/Mining.

• Registered Users Posts: 5 d_n_c

Thanks for the advice guys, just another question would ye have gone out there just to make enough money to travel or were ye planning on coming back with a bit of cash? Just would like to avoid coming back with any big loans to pay off!

@Dazzler88 this might sound a bit stupid but I know nothing about mining or construction, I've heard about people getting jobs rebuilding areas affected by disasters and I'd be really interested in doing something like that would you happen to know anything about it? Or would that just be people working for a contractor?

• Registered Users Posts: 575 ✭✭✭Ozeire

Degree or no Degree doesn't matter really. You can have years of college n be the biggest waste of time. As said before it's all about work experince. All college really means is you cam stick at something for a while.

What you need to ask yourself is are you going on a 1 or 2 year out or want to migrating. If you just want 2 years out then doesn't matter about college cause you wont really get a full time job in what theyou went to college for.

Time out here will give you a better picture of what you want to do with your life. Open your mind up to wbhat is possible.

As for bring money back home you can forget about that . If you can come back not owing anything you'll be doing good.

All i can say is it's an experince you'll never forget. So if you have the chance to come here go for it . You only waste a WHV if you only use part of it like coming for only a few months rather than the year or 2.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,435 ✭✭✭mandrake04

Dazzler88 wrote: »
    The WHV will give you the same opportunities either way.If you do finish your degree,you will be able to get a skilled migration,provided your degree is on the list.If I were you there is no harm going out there unskilled,there is still loads of unskilled jobs in Construction/Mining.

That is only partly true, a degree on it's own won't get you a skilled migration visa unless you have at least 2-3 years post grad experience. It's a Skilled occupation list not a Degree list.

Also I don't think its that easy to get an unskilled job in the mines, those types of jobs are pretty sought as they are used to get a foot in the door.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 311 ✭✭ellaq

There is nothing wrong with doing unskilled work whilst having a great time. I honestly think that this is what the visa was devised for in the first place. I did it, I even worked 2 crap jobs so that I could pay my way travelling. I wasn't using my time on a WHV to get PR or sponsorship so there was no pressure, just time to enjoy the experience.

• Registered Users Posts: 168 ✭✭mise_me_fein3

What type of work do you do OP?

I've got a brother and a friend that work in the mines. They don't have qualifications but are decent at their jobs as painters. You can get in the mines and make good cash but you'd have to persevere with meeting people and applying for jobs.

If you work in a more office based job there are lots of jobs that require no experience and there are jobs that are basically for travellers. They don't pay that well but if you get into one of these jobs you can save up a bit of cash and continue looking for something that might interest you.

Then you could also tell a few white lies on your CV. The time difference is pretty big so checking details from back home is not always done as much as should be.

If you want to get sponsored then the WHV is a pretty good way to do it, but you'll only have 6 months or less to prove yourself in whatever role.

I know guys that are sponsored as brickies that are just labourers and there are many other options.

You need to see if what you can do appears on the Skilled Occupation List and the Employee Nominated Skilled Occupation List.
    If it's on those then you can probably stay and work here.

Another option is just to head straight to a farm, work long hours and save a lot of cash. It's not a great existence but you wouldn't spend much cash in the country and it's something different.

Advertisement