Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Wheel upgrade - pro-lite merano?

• 06-09-2011 10:55am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,037 ✭✭✭

Rather than buy a new bike, I have decided the upgrade the wheels and keep the old rear one for the trainer. I was thinking of pro-lite merano but I read stories of broken spokes...any other experiences or alternative?
    Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,508 ✭✭✭Lemag

Upgrade from what and for what reason? I have Mavics. I like them. Ksyrium Elite probably represent their best value-for-money aluminium wheelset. If you could get them somewhere for a good price you could do far worse. Can't comment from experience regarding the Pro-Lites although I have thought about Braccianos in the past.

• Registered Users Posts: 128 ✭✭brians947

Try ringing Humphries in finglas. He will give you great advice as im finding out. I was talking to him about upgrading wheelset. Gave him a budget of 500 as saw wheels on web i liked. He told me i would be wasting my money spending that much and recommended wheels he had. Mavic rims, Shimano Ultegra hubs. 250 Euro.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,037 ✭✭✭kuro_man

Upgrade from what and for what reason?

5 year old stock shimano's - not sure which ones.
    Was going to get wheel + cassette for the turbo anyway, so thought this would be a better way to go.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,037 ✭✭✭kuro_man

brians947 wrote: »
    Try ringing Humphries in finglas. He will give you great advice as im finding out. I was talking to him about upgrading wheelset. Gave him a budget of 500 as saw wheels on web i liked. He told me i would be wasting my money spending that much and recommended wheels he had. Mavic rims, Shimano Ultegra hubs. 250 Euro.

thanks, let us know how you get on.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,508 ✭✭✭Lemag

Planet X have their Model B wheels going for a fairly nice price.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,966 ✭✭✭cantalach

I recently went from Mavic Ksyrium Elite to Pro-Lite Merano and had two unprovoked rear wheel spoke failures within the first few weeks use! Both occurred while on tour which was a bit inconvenient to say the least. They have been going fine since. They are stiff with no discernible flex when out of the saddle (at least none that my meagre power can provoke). They roll very smoothly and are apparently quite aero thanks to the 30mm profile rims, fat bladed spokes and low profile front hub. They 'feel' fast on a descent. But truth be told, even if they were the best wheels ever, the whole experience with the two broken spokes has left me with very little confidence in them.

It's worth saying that I'd had the Elites for two years (~20,000km) and had no spoke problems during that time. However, what ultimately caused me to get new wheels was that the rear rim developed a crack either side of one of the nipple eyelets. Whether or not that is acceptable wear after 20,000km is open to debate.

Advertisement