Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Getting health insurance in Oz on 457 visa?

Options
  • 06-09-2011 10:56am
    Registered Users Posts: 198 ✭✭

Hi Guys

Just been granted the 457 visa and looking into organising health insurance.

Has anyone any recommendations of health insurance companies in Oz (QLD)?

Does those on the 457 need to have a differing policy than Australian Residents? Obviously needs would be different - as in if the unthinkable happened, arranging to have your remains brought home?

Also, what is the story for Medicare and the Irish? Does an agreement exist? I have been told today by one insurer that we are covered for the first 6 months of being here for basic medical care. So what happens after these 6 months and in light of having a temporary visa - are we entitled to any medicare here?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,240 ✭✭✭hussey

My advice is to go with an irish health care company - full blown cover is very expensive, and most places don't do it (as you don't have medicare)
    one of the few companies are : http://iman.com.au/

You don't actually need insurance for a 457 (see the FAQ's - lots of threads about it)

The irish medicare agreement covers your entire stay, not the first 6 months

• Registered Users Posts: 2,278 ✭✭✭kdevitt

linola_c wrote: »
    I have been told today by one insurer that we are covered for the first 6 months of being here for basic medical care. So what happens after these 6 months and in light of having a temporary visa - are we entitled to any medicare here?

You're covered for the full period of your visa for all necessary hospital treatment (not elective stuff obviously). Rather than having a medicare card to present, you show your passport.

You don't get any rebate on GP fees though.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,347 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

It's a recipricol agrement, its not medicare or anything to do with medicare, just to clarify.

• Registered Users Posts: 575 ✭✭✭Ozeire

Yeah if you go to http://www.medicareaustralia.gov.au/public/migrants/visitors/ireland-nz.jsp will explain the medical agrement between Oz m Ire

• Registered Users Posts: 37 olearyj1

I took out health insurance with medibank specific to a 457 visa.......after some research i came to the conclusion that the reciprocal agreement between the Irish and oz only covers A&E treatment i.e. once you are discharged from A&E be it to rehab, a hospital bed, etc the cost is on you including all necessary drugs

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6 Brown Trout

Do you mind me asking how much the insurance specific to the 457 visa cost you? Need to get it myself before going out.
    Thanks,
    BT

Paid approx $633.90 for six months "working visa hospital insurance". Check out the following link:

http://www.medibank.com.au/Client/StaticPages/VCHome.aspx

• Registered Users Posts: 1,055 ✭✭✭Brian201888

olearyj1 wrote: »
    I took out health insurance with medibank specific to a 457 visa.......after some research i came to the conclusion that the reciprocal agreement between the Irish and oz only covers A&E treatment i.e. once you are discharged from A&E be it to rehab, a hospital bed, etc the cost is on you including all necessary drugs

Nah when I broke my arm everything was covered including all follow ups.

olearyj1 wrote: »
    I'm afraid your research was wrong. The agreement covers all necessary treatment. A&E, a bed etc.
    That visa is for people from countries who don't have an agreement
    Do you mind me asking how much the insurance specific to the 457 visa cost you? Need to get it myself before going out.
    Thanks,
    BT

You don't need to get insurance for a 457 visa if you are from the ROI

• Registered Users Posts: 198 ✭✭linola_c

Thanks for the replies guys.

Ok so we are covered for A&E type services. I would like to have something a little more comprehensive. As I mentioned above, if the worst was to happen here - there is no cover there to cover bringing your remains back to Ireland.

I have heard a few horror stories of families being left with huge debts, trying to get their relative's remains back to Eire.

I will defo try Medibank - thanks :)

• Advertisement

Ok so we are covered for A&E type services. I would like to have something a little more comprehensive. As I mentioned above, if the worst was to happen here - there is no cover there to cover bringing your remains back to Ireland.

I have heard a few horror stories of families being left with huge debts, trying to get their relative's remains back to Eire.

The medibank insurance wouldn't cover the cost of sending your remains back to ireland if the worst happened either. For that you need travel insurance not health insurance afaik.

The medibank linked above covers hospital fees, that's it. Paying for that would be pretty silly. Most of it is already covered by the agreement. There are some extras, like ambulance cover, but this isn't worth paying the premium for services that you already have.

• Registered Users Posts: 270 ✭✭s.c

I wouldn't like to be relying on the Recipricol Agrement if you were struck down with some sort of serious illness. I'd much prefer to have private cover for the sake of 20 or 30 dollars a week.

Mellor wrote: »
    The medibank insurance wouldn't cover the cost of sending your remains back to ireland if the worst happened either. For that you need travel insurance not health insurance afaik.

The medibank linked above covers hospital fees, that's it. Paying for that would be pretty silly. Most of it is already covered by the agreement. There are some extras, like ambulance cover, but this isn't worth paying the premium for services that you already have.

Only reason i took out private health insurance is because i have a friend here in Oz who got into a serious accident and ended up in rehab for 5 months, none of this was covered in the reciprocal agreement, hence he now has a bill for approx $50k (of which may i add over $40k has already been raised in various fundraisers). Thankfully he was left out of rehab the end of last month and is now on road to a full recovery, but i know for a fact he will be forever grateful to the Irish community and the monies they have raised for him

• Registered Users Posts: 198 ✭✭linola_c

I received a quote from HICA - for around $130 - $160 a month for a couple, depending on the package and this does cover sending your remains back to Ireland. They have policies specifically designed for those who are on 457 visas!

Think we will probably go with them. Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 4,435 ✭✭✭mandrake04

It even more expensive to return someone by Air ambulance who is injured, I was at a fundraiser and $120,000 was required for one well known case a few years ago. That was a special arrangement by POW Hospital because the poor lad was bashed on the street.

Usual cost is $300,000.

Advertisement