Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Meal storage

• 06-09-2011 11:06am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,422 ✭✭✭

Folks
    I'm looking to see what folks do to store small quantities of meal. I buy 10-12 bags at a time and get pestered either by birds or rodents.

Ideas welcome

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,844 ✭✭✭49801

plastic coal bunker or the like?
    there is grey jfc storage bins in the coops atm that would seem ok value

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,087 ✭✭✭vanderbadger

ya or get the barrels with the removable lids

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,401 ✭✭✭reilig

just do it wrote: »
    Folks
    I'm looking to see what folks do to store small quantities of meal. I buy 10-12 bags at a time and get pestered either by birds or rodents.

Ideas welcome

Usually buy in bulk, however at times of low meal usage, I'd often buy a few bags. Everything is stored in an insulated meal shed. We got seconds panels from a cold store factory about 20 years ago and used them to line an old stone byre from the roof to the floor. We screwed them together and sealed up all joints, put on an insulated door and put a blower pipe on it too. Its sealed like a cold store - except there is no cold in it. The local partnership at the time gave us a farm development grant of £300 for it. It just about cost us that. It can hold 20 ton of meal. We can split it in 2 for 2 types of meal. It can store bags safely too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,025 ✭✭✭Tipp Man

reilig wrote: »
    Usually buy in bulk, however at times of low meal usage, I'd often buy a few bags. Everything is stored in an insulated meal shed. We got seconds panels from a cold store factory about 20 years ago and used them to line an old stone byre from the roof to the floor. We screwed them together and sealed up all joints, put on an insulated door and put a blower pipe on it too. Its sealed like a cold store - except there is no cold in it. The local partnership at the time gave us a farm development grant of £300 for it. It just about cost us that. It can hold 20 ton of meal. We can split it in 2 for 2 types of meal. It can store bags safely too.

Thats seems like a cracking idea

fortunately we don't seem to have too many problems with rats and meal, our rats seem to prefer the round bales for some reason.

We have a lorry cover that we throw over the bags

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,271 ✭✭✭✭johngalway

For that number of bags I've seen people use old deep freezers/chest freezers, inside in a shed not outdoors. I've a blue barrel with a lockable lid that holds 5 or 6 bags, can be put indoors or out.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,422 ✭✭✭just do it

Reilig
    Well that's very clever, sounds like the bees knees:D. Some day you'll have to do an open day at your place showing off your ideas as you seem to have plenty of them! And thanks for sharing;)

johngalway wrote: »
    For that number of bags I've seen people use old deep freezers/chest freezers, inside in a shed not outdoors. I've a blue barrel with a lockable lid that holds 5 or 6 bags, can be put indoors or out.

Yeah the old deep freeze - great idea. I must keep an eye out at the local dump as they take in all the old white goods. Two of them would definitely do the trick!:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 521 ✭✭✭Atilathehun

Contact your local friendly refuse collector, and ask if they have any damaged large size wheelie bins for sale on the cheap.
    I got one with a couple of cracks in it for €40. Sealed it up no bother. It's got castors and so can be shifted if needs at times.

660_green.png

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,296 ✭✭✭leg wax

Contact your local friendly refuse collector, and ask if they have any damaged large size wheelie bins for sale on the cheap.
    I got one with a couple of cracks in it for €40. Sealed it up no bother. It's got castors and so can be shifted if needs at times.

660_green.png
    have one of those great job.

660_green.png

how do you get the ration out?
    is it a pain getting it out when its less than half full?

• Advertisement

49801 wrote: »

I was thinking a bin like this would be perfect for the silage plastic wrap rather than meal.

As for getting the last of the meal out, isn't that what the "young fella" is for?:D

suppose you could buy and IBC for 60 ish quid or so and make an opening in the top , would be handy to be able move it about with loader too

suppose you could buy and IBC for 60 ish quid or so and make an opening in the top , would be handy to be able move it about with loader too

What's an IBC?

What's an IBC?

you the bg square plastic container nside a wire mesh, they are usually 1000L and you see them in a lot of farm yards, lads use them for water etc
    like ths
    http://www.donedeal.ie/for-sale/otherfarming/2092116

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,401 ✭✭✭reilig

I was thinking a bin like this would be perfect for the silage plastic wrap rather than meal.

It would be bloody impossible to get the wrap out of it then.

Best and cheapest wrap storage that I have seen is half an old 300 gallon round diesel tank - loads of them around farm yards. Cut the bottom off it and then split it half to make 2 semi circles. Hinge the 2 semi-circles at the back with 2 hinges and put some type of clamp and bolt on the front. Fill your wrap into it, even stand in it to push the wrap together to make more space. When its full, just loosed the tank from around it and set it up again. If the wraps are packed together tightly enough, one or 2 concrete blocks on top will prevent the wind from taking them.

They will be in a nice neat pile which will be asthetically pleasing to any REPS inspector!! ;)

The power of google;). IBC is an intermediary bulk container!

[Embedded Image Removed]

As for getting the last of the meal out, isn't that what the "young fella" is for?:D

I'am the young fellow and i am not so young(dumb) any more!!!:pac::pac::pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,735 ✭✭✭lakill Farm

why not buy a plastic jfc 1/2 ton bins for the bale lifter ( im going to buy one on the recommendation of my uncle, who gets it hard to buy mgo for the tractor

I use a ibc tank cage for the plastic wrap. I cut the tank out and im left with just the cage on the pallet. Put 100 plus wraps in a cage.

Have another cage for fencin posts and temp electric posts. Put on the bale lifter and keeps everything neat.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,209 ✭✭✭KatyMac

I have few black rubbish bins with lids. They hold about 3 bags each. I keep calf nuts, pony nuts, dog nuts in them (now all at the same time!!!!) Never had problems with rodents getting in.

• Registered Users Posts: 383 ✭✭jerdee

i have a old fridge body from truck think it was a ice cream body with three folding doors at the back ideal cause middle one opens when loading out and three open back to fill also fitted with pipe for blowing in but you have to leave door open a little incase the pressure builds up .bought a couple years back stuck a light for winter nights but so far rodent and bird free even can write ration requirements on the dust on wall too....

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,410 ✭✭✭bbam

It would be bloody impossible to get the wrap out of it then.

Best and cheapest wrap storage that I have seen is half an old 300 gallon round diesel tank - loads of them around farm yards. Cut the bottom off it and then split it half to make 2 semi circles. Hinge the 2 semi-circles at the back with 2 hinges and put some type of clamp and bolt on the front. Fill your wrap into it, even stand in it to push the wrap together to make more space. When its full, just loosed the tank from around it and set it up again. If the wraps are packed together tightly enough, one or 2 concrete blocks on top will prevent the wind from taking them.

They will be in a nice neat pile which will be asthetically pleasing to any REPS inspector!! ;)

We use the ton meal bags for the wraps... Have two steel hooks on the wall near the feeder, hook on the bag and it's ready, prongs on loader lifts it off when full.. Tie the top closed and it's ready for recycle.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 367 ✭✭polod

bbam wrote: »
    We use the ton meal bags for the wraps... Have two steel hooks on the wall near the feeder, hook on the bag and it's ready, prongs on loader lifts it off when full.. Tie the top closed and it's ready for recycle.

good idea

• Registered Users Posts: 947 ✭✭✭RobinBanks

bbam wrote: »

Interesting...................I use a wrap as a container. Simply cut the plastic off at the top of the bale and slide the plastic off. Your left with an open top drum for the lack of a better word. Then use a piece of the loose end of the plastic that was cut off to tie it when full. Put in enough so it holds its shape yet still manageable for one person to throw into the trailer and bring to the recycling plant. Everything you need is already there.

• Registered Users Posts: 947 ✭✭✭RobinBanks

And in addition to what vander has just said. You can also purchase an IBC with 1250lt capacity that has a 85mm or 150mm outlet as opposed to the standard 1000lt tank with 50mm outlet and use it the same way as a silo. Just need to make a frame. If you choose a tanks with a 225mm opening this should be more than adequate to fill from the larger bulk silos.

I dont have one so I cant comment on pros and cons but maybe worth pursuing if you could get one handy.

• Registered Users Posts: 160 ✭✭millertime78

Back on point, I'm thinking of making an indoor silo which is lifted off the ground , has a funnel at the bottom so I can put in a wheel barrow/bucket.

I'm thinking angle iron, marine plywood and a good welder should make a job of it:D at a fraction of the cost of a proper one!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,552 ✭✭✭pakalasa

49801 wrote: »

50413_108356639983_9419_n.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,237 ✭✭✭Username John

pakalasa wrote: »

Busy day there at work Pakalasa ;):D

Busy day there at work Pakalasa ;):D

ya looks like he went to the trouble of drawing the feet in :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,271 ✭✭✭✭johngalway

pakalasa wrote: »

There's a pub the Mayo side of Leenane, has a barrel on the lawn and a pair of wellies and yellow guy cottens sticking out of it...

"Bin Laden" :D :rolleyes:Harks back to the time the big man hunt was on for him.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,552 ✭✭✭pakalasa

ya looks like he went to the trouble of drawing the feet in :p
    :D... No, just a bit of cut and paste.
    http://www.facebook.com/pages/Pushing-Bob-in-a-Wheelie-bin/108356639983

Advertisement