Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Nike Lunarglide sizing

Options
  • 06-09-2011 11:07am
    Registered Users Posts: 6,195 ✭✭✭

I am thinking of getting a pair of these for the extra cushioning on longer runs. I am currently using Brooks Green Silence for anything over 7/8 miles, but the last couple of times I went over 15, my ankles are hurting. I'm quite sure that this is not strictly down the the shoes I am wearing, but I reckon that the extra cushioning won't hurt when I start to get tired and I get sloppy formwise.
    Couple of questions on them:
    1. Does anyone know how true to size these are? I normally wear a 9, all my normal and running shoes are a nine and the last pair of Nike runners I had were a nine and they fit perfectly. The reason I ask is because my missus is going to the states in a few weeks, where they are a lot cheaper (105 euros in Arnotts compared to $90). I don't think I could go into a shope here and try on a pair knowing that I am not going to buy them there. I tried a pair of Lunarglide 2 about 6 months ago in Elvery's and they fit ok
    2. How long would these take to bed in ? If I had them a month before the marathon, would it be adviseable to wear them in the marathon ?
    Thanking you kindly in advance
    Paul

Comments

I am thinking of getting a pair of these for the extra cushioning on longer runs. I am currently using Brooks Green Silence for anything over 7/8 miles, but the last couple of times I went over 15, my ankles are hurting. I'm quite sure that this is not strictly down the the shoes I am wearing, but I reckon that the extra cushioning won't hurt when I start to get tired and I get sloppy formwise.
    Couple of questions on them:
    1. Does anyone know how true to size these are? I normally wear a 9, all my normal and running shoes are a nine and the last pair of Nike runners I had were a nine and they fit perfectly. The reason I ask is because my missus is going to the states in a few weeks, where they are a lot cheaper (105 euros in Arnotts compared to $90). I don't think I could go into a shope here and try on a pair knowing that I am not going to buy them there. I tried a pair of Lunarglide 2 about 6 months ago in Elvery's and they fit ok
    2. How long would these take to bed in ? If I had them a month before the marathon, would it be adviseable to wear them in the marathon ?
    Thanking you kindly in advance
    Paul

I would say that you could go 1/2 a size down on lunarglides compared to what you'd wear in shoes. They are quite wide fitting and lots of room in toebox. I have size 9 but would go 8.5 if I was getting another pair. I also have green silence and find them hard over long runs. have you ever tried saucony kinvara. they are light like green silence but have more cushioning making them good for even quite long runs. for kinvara I'd go a 1/2 size up - e.g. 9.5 for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,195 ✭✭✭PaulieC

I tried the trail version of the Kinvaras, the peregrines and yes, they are nice and cushiony, but they look like they'd only last a couple of hundred miles, whereas the nikes look a bit more substantial

I tried the trail version of the Kinvaras, the peregrines and yes, they are nice and cushiony, but they look like they'd only last a couple of hundred miles, whereas the nikes look a bit more substantial

lunarglides would last longer but you'd probably do a better marathon time in the kinvaras. would cut a fair few minutes off imo over 26 miles...

glasso wrote: »
    lunarglides would last longer but you'd probably do a better marathon time in the kinvaras. would cut a fair few minutes off imo over 26 miles...

Is that because of the weight ? Or is there some other factor ? Would 2 oz. per shoe make that much difference ? In any event, as it's my first one, I will be more interested in finishing than getting a good time.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,366 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

I wear the same size in all my shoes. Saucony, Nike and Adidas - wore the same size in brooks, mizuno and asics any time I've tried them too. Never had any problems bar the odd blister on a toe or something.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 26,928 ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

I'm a 7 in most shoes, but had to go down to a 6.5 in Lunarglides. I have quite narrow feet though, and they are almost too wide for me.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,366 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

I should add, I know you wear the lightweights alot cg, I probably have close to 500 miles on my first pair on Kinvaras and they're still perfect. I think you'd find lunarglides very heavy, I can't run in them - they feel like concrete blocks to me.

Was looking at the faas 500's in elverys today - they weigh a tonne :eek:

Is that because of the weight ? Or is there some other factor ? Would 2 oz. per shoe make that much difference ? In any event, as it's my first one, I will be more interested in finishing than getting a good time.

about 20/25 seconds a mile difference for me - kinvara over lunarglides. due to weight mainly but also due to being more of a forefoot running shoe. i find the kinvara to be also faster than green silence. lot of people report needing 1/2 size up in kinvara. even at 9.5 they are pretty snug for me.

Thanks folks, I'll have another look at the kinvaras. It was the wear that I was most concerned about with them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,915 ✭✭✭✭menoscemo

I wear 8's in Lunarglides, 8.5 in Kinvaras and 8.5 in Green silence. That said the Green silence are definitely too big and I'd be better off in an 8 in them. So whatever you use for Green silence should be fine.

Nike 8's are EUR 42.5 (normal 8's are EUR 42) so that's why they are a bit bigger fitting than Adidas, Asics etc.

I still do most long 'plodding' runs in Lunarglides, but will be using Kinvaras for racing marathons (wore them in Longford Marathon with no issues). (I'd use Lunarracers for shorter races and tempo runs.)

I've tried the Green silence for LSR's but find the sole too 'hard' so I now just use them as a track shoe. So if you are looking for a marathon shoe and are used to minimalist runners I'd reccomend the kinvaras as well.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 586 ✭✭✭devotional1993

lunarglides are a great shoe if you have wide feet-like me)Looking forward to trying the lunarglide 3

menoscemo wrote: »
    I've tried the Green silence for LSR's but find the sole too 'hard' so I now just use them as a track shoe. So if you are looking for a marathon shoe and are used to minimalist runners I'd reccomend the kinvaras as well.

Almost regret buying the green silence myself - sort of an impulse buy 'cos they were fairly cheap on amazon- not comfortable to run in at all really due to rock hard sole. it's like running in astro turf soccer boots - which they look like too and I'm sure that that's what a lot of people think they are when I'm running in them!

I'm a big fan of the Green Silence, and never had any problems with them under 12 miles. However, the last couple of 15/16 runs I did, my right ankle has been sore afterwards. This may or may not be related to the shoes though :D

SWEET !!! I'll be having some of those !

There's a new version out, which is apparently just a cosmetic upgrade, so the originals are going for a song

SWEET !!! I'll be having some of those !

There's a new version out, which is apparently just a cosmetic upgrade, so the originals are going for a song

will they deliver from the states? what's the shipping cost? again, I'd go 1/2 size up if I were you.

will they deliver from the states? what's the shipping cost? again, I'd go 1/2 size up if I were you.
    The other (better?) half is going to be in Seattle the week after next so I can get them sent there.
    About the sizing, as far as I am aware, these are the road version of the Peregrines. I tried the peregrines before in size 9 and they fit fine (did 5 miles in them)

The other (better?) half is going to be in Seattle the week after next so I can get them sent there.
    About the sizing, as far as I am aware, these are the road version of the Peregrines. I tried the peregrines before in size 9 and they fit fine (did 5 miles in them)

fair enough - makes sense that the kinvara would size the same as the trail version.

<p>Ended up getting the lunarglides. I got an unexpected one 4 all voucher on Friday plus a 26.2% sale meant a free pair of cheap runners :-). Thanks for all the info and advice, even though I ignored it ! I'm looking forward to the extra cushioning and ankle support. They don't seem that heavy, hopefully they'll do a job for me</p>

• Registered Users Posts: 419 ✭✭nellocono

what do people find better, LunarGlides 2 or the new model 3's? Or is there any difference?

Only 73 quid on Elverys now which is very good

nellocono wrote: »
    what do people find better, LunarGlides 2 or the new model 3's? Or is there any difference?

Only 73 quid on Elverys now which is very good

Elverys in Dundrum had both the 2 and the 3 yesterday, the 2 being a bit cheaper. The main difference that I could see was an extra piece of heel support and a new midfoot support strap on the 3.
    Nice colours too, but of course that is purely subjective :D

• Advertisement

Elverys in Dundrum had both the 2 and the 3 yesterday, the 2 being a bit cheaper. The main difference that I could see was an extra piece of heel support and a new midfoot support strap on the 3.
    Nice colours too, but of course that is purely subjective :D

don't think that there's a huge difference tbh. flywire is gone around lacing area on the 3's. re getting the lunarglides and not kinvara, I like the lunarglides myself and they are a "reasonably" light everyday trainer and are comfortable. would be ok for marathon due to the dynamic stability for later on in the event when your form is likely to go to pot. going from the green silence to those is some difference in terms of the cushioning. still think that you should buy the kinvara too and use that for marathon - runners last longer by using them every other day in any case.

don't think that there's a huge difference tbh. flywire is gone around lacing area on the 3's. re getting the lunarglides and not kinvara, I like the lunarglides myself and they are a "reasonably" light everyday trainer and are comfortable. would be ok for marathon due to the dynamic stability for later on in the event when your form is likely to go to pot. going from the green silence to those is some difference in terms of the cushioning. still think that you should buy the kinvara too and use that for marathon - runners last longer by using them every other day in any case.

I was thinking of using the Nikes for LSRs and a mix of green silence, puma faas 300 and merrell foot gloves for the shorter runs. I'll have to start sneaking runner sinto the house at this stage :D

• Registered Users Posts: 419 ✭✭nellocono

Only thing stopping me from the Kinvaras is that I want these runners for running a marathon and I am thinking that the support in the Lunarglides would be better for me over the longer distances.

Only thing stopping me from the Kinvaras is that I want these runners for running a marathon and I am thinking that the support in the Lunarglides would be better for me over the longer distances.

That was pretty much my thinking too. I like the Kinvaras though, they're extremely comfortable, but I'm not sure that I am strong enough to run long distances without a bit of support

• Registered Users Posts: 274 ✭✭violator13

If anybody wants a better bargain ive a set of size 8 uk lunarglides 3
    Wore them once for about 6miles. Still boxed ! let them go for 50e..got them last week.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28 dunner :P

What colour are they violator??:)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,468 ✭✭✭sconhome

The Saucony Mirage is a light supportive version of the Saucony Kinvara. Slightly stiffer in the midsole and with a support band in front of the heel provides some guidance for mild over pronation.

Just an option.

• Registered Users Posts: 274 ✭✭violator13

dunner :P wrote: »
    What colour are they violator??:)

looks like they are sold...

• Registered Users Posts: 612 ✭✭✭Rantan

Sorry if I am a bit late on this - my brother brought me back a pair of glides 2 from the states in March - I took a chance on the size. I got size 11US, 10UK and EUR45. I am normally a 10 in everthing and the US glides fit like a glove, just retired them after about 500miles, in fact i might pull them out again as the swifts I replaced them with have just given me arch pain after 5 miles earlier tonight that I have never had before. I love the glides, switched to them from asics 2140's

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 978 ✭✭✭JohnnyCrash

@Rantan. I have 1160's and just got Glide +3's. I find the fit very different,very snug,almost tight.Havnt tried them out yet. Did you find this? Ive read reviews which say that the Glides fit like a tight sock. Is it just a matter of getting used to the difference? Cheers in advance

Advertisement