Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

dog in shed for the day

• 06-09-2011 11:39am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 477 ✭✭

just wanted to see what you all thought of this.

we will be moving house soon,our dog is a two year old chocolate lab mix,the new garden is totally open,but does have a rather large shed,would it be cruel to keep our dog in the shed for possibly 2 months during the day,8 to 6,obviously it is clean tidy and she would have her own comfortable bed etc in the shed,my brother could call maybe every second day to take her out for an hour r so,there is a window(large)that would also be left open.this would be temporary,until we can organise something a bit more suitable.

outside of this she is walked in woods regularly,and sleeps in the kitchen,and spends all her other time in the house with us,so far she is used to spending her time during the day in a run out the back,roughly the same size as the shed.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 183 ✭✭Allgäuerin

Sorry, but yes it would be cruel :mad:. Nothing more to write.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40 Little_Focker

No that FAR too long to leave in a shed and actually it too long to leave a dog on their own full stop.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,772 ✭✭✭✭Whispered

But much safer than leaving the dog to wander.

A nice middle ground would be an outdoor area attached to the shed. If you have a look around the forum you'll find some ideas for dog runs that are cheap, easy and quick to erect. It wouldn't need to be huge, just enough space for her to move around.

Ideally you would get a dog walker in on the days your brother can't do it, because it is a very long day for a dog wherever they're staying.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,000 ✭✭✭andreac

I my opinion, its a bit unfair alright, thats 10 hours. I wouldnt leave a dog in a garden alone for ten hours, let alone in a shed.

Is there no day care you can bring the dog to? Or can you hire a dog walker to come in every day? I know you said your brother can come in every second day but it would be better to have the dog out everyday.

Can you not build a temporary run or at least fence off some of the garden?

How come the dog is alone for ten hours? Thats a very long time to leave a dog alone for each day:(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

If you absolutely had to leave the dog locked inside somewhere for the whole day, it's better off inside the house where it feels safe and comfortable. The shed is not "home" to the dog, the kitchen is.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 477 ✭✭plasteritup

constructive feedback welcome,i dont need to explain to you how well or dog is loved and cared for.i i didnt give a **** i wouldnt be on boards looking for ADVICE.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,456 ✭✭✭westies4ever

just wanted to see what you all thought of this.

we will be moving house soon,our dog is a two year old chocolate lab mix,the new garden is totally open,but does have a rather large shed,would it be cruel to keep our dog in the shed for possibly 2 months during the day,8 to 6,obviously it is clean tidy and she would have her own comfortable bed etc in the shed,my brother could call maybe every second day to take her out for an hour r so,there is a window(large)that would also be left open.this would be temporary,until we can organise something a bit more suitable.

outside of this she is walked in woods regularly,and sleeps in the kitchen,and spends all her other time in the house with us,so far she is used to spending her time during the day in a run out the back,roughly the same size as the shed.

You need someone to call on the dog every day (twice if possible) and let them out to do their business and have a walk. 10 hours is too long. if the dog is housetrained (and im assuming it is) its going to hold it in for as long as possible as it wont want to go in the shed - that'll be distressing for the poor thing. It'll be lonely as well if used to company during the day. From the rest of your post you seem like a nice person and the dog appears well cared for overall.

Circumstances are not always ideal and I commend you for putting some thought into this but I defintely don't think what you are proposing is fair.

andreac wrote: »
    I my opinion, its a bit unfair alright, thats 10 hours. I wouldnt leave a dog in a garden alone for ten hours, let alone in a shed.

Is there no day care you can bring the dog to? Or can you hire a dog walker to come in every day? I know you said your brother can come in every second day but it would be better to have the dog out everyday.

Can you not build a temporary run or at least fence off some of the garden?

How come the dog is alone for ten hours? Thats a very long time to leave a dog alone for each day:(

I am in england working till end of november,partner working full time at the moment dog is out all day(under supervision)
    i will be building a proper run when i come back and also will be there for large parts of the day.i go everywhere with the dog nyway.

what i would do in your postion is leave the dog in the house - close the doors to the rooms you dont want him in and pay for a dogwalker during the day - a lot of people are offering this service at the minute - google should throw up a few options or depending where you're based someone on here could make a recommendation. i know its extra expense but i think you would feel better yourself.

this is directed at the op and bearpup!

seamus wrote: »
    If you absolutely had to leave the dog locked inside somewhere for the whole day, it's better off inside the house where it feels safe and comfortable. The shed is not "home" to the dog, the kitchen is.

thought of this,if i had someone call everyday to leave her out for toilet etc possibly an hour r half hour,just want to make sure she will be as comfortable as possible.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,429 ✭✭✭✭star-pants

Just a reminder - please use the report post function if there is an issue with a post.

our dog,
    now ye will all slate me for what i suggested,she is a pup there tho,
    thanks for all the replies,we will make sure she will be safe and not a bit stressed.probably build a small run off the shed before we move.

thanks again.

our dog,
    now ye will all slate me for what i suggested,she is a pup there tho,
    thanks for all the replies,we will make sure she will be safe and not a bit stressed.probably build a small run off the shed before we move.

thanks again.

awwwww - poor you having to leave her! best of luck.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,132 ✭✭✭Sigma Force

The dog would need a run attached so the dog can go to the loo and have some fresh air. Why wait to build a run you can buy them hayeses modular or cilldara.ie and other places do ready made solid dog runs.

It's a bit too long to leave a dog on a daily basis tbh the size of the shed isn't the issue because lets face it how many people leave their dog in the kitchen or sitting room when they go out or go to work and not everyone has rooms that size in their house.

It's the lenght of time that's the issue you have to have someone call every day or as an alternative the dog must be walked in the morning before she goes to work and then again in the evening by her. Otherwise you should pay someone to walk the dog or if there is doggy daycare in your area that could be another option.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,634 ✭✭✭TooManyDogs

What about getting a run from the likes of Cilldara? http://cilldara.ie/ Their runs are really easy to assemble and the delivery lads might put it up if you gave them a few quid

• Registered Users Posts: 72 ✭✭Mr Moxie

Hi Plasteritup

As an owner of 3 dogs, it is obvious to me that your pet is well loved and cared for, well done for taking the time to consider this and ask for feedback.
    For every 1 person that takes the time to fully consider the pets comfort, happiness and safety in their surroundings, I fear that there are possibly 100 people who don't fully consider this!?

I would always say that unless a persons life allows them to properly care for a a pet, then they should not have pet. However, life can change quickly these days and circumstances that were perfectly suited to having a pet can quickly become difficult for all.
    Our circumstances are unique in that my partner is a vet and takes our 3 dogs to work everyday, they are the welcoming committee at our hospital.
    After reading about your circumstances, my personal opinion would be that the ideal situation is for your pet to stay in the house with lots of toys and a large chew treat (Choc Labs can be high energy and big chewers!) and arrange a responsible friend/neighbour to call at lunchtime every day to let him out for a half an hour and play ball with him etc. This is of course, provided he is a chilled enough sort of dog who would not get anxious and tear your house apart! If you have a secure garden having a dog door fitted, would be a bonus, but NOT a replacement for a lunchtime visit.
    The next option would be a well insulated kennel with a run attached so he can go in and out as he needs, it is not ideal but the reality is it would be far less stressful on your pet than the shed, I would imagine that he could also take to barking a lot if kept in the shed? Again, a lunchtime visit is important.
    The fact that you take the time to bring your dog to the woods and that he spends time with you in the house when you are home, would certainly make his daytime living arrangement less stressful, good on you for that!
    Finally, if you would like info on insulated kennels I have just started to manufacture them, PM me and I will tell you more.

All the best with your move and new house.

Mr Moxie.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 583 ✭✭✭Inexile

What about getting a run from the likes of Cilldara? http://cilldara.ie/ Their runs are really easy to assemble and the delivery lads might put it up if you gave them a few quid

When we were out at work we used to keep our two dogs in a 10 x6 shed with a cilla dara run attached which was accessible by a dog flap in the side of the shed. It worked well for a number of years as the dogs were content and we also knew they were safe.

the cilla dara runs are very well made. Ours is still perfect after five years.

thanks again guys,some sound advice,have some timber panelling ordered and will be putting it up myself,plus my brother and younger sister will be keeping an eye on her till im home.
    cheers again.

Advertisement