Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

12mb adsl vs 8mb NGB?

• 06-09-2011 11:47am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 569 ✭✭✭

Hi folks,

My contract for my current broadband is up so its time to upgrade me thinks!! I'm with UTV and their prices seem cheaper then eircom. Just wondering would any of ye know whether an 8MB NGB bundle would be better than a 12MB standard adsl bundle with a 12:1 contention?

I'm currently on a 7MB standard adsl bundle, and speeds are usually slightly over 6MB, and rarely notice any contention issues.

Anyone got any input for me? Oh and does NGB require a new modem, as i've got quite an elaborate home network setup, and I don't think a bundled modem will be able to run it as I have been.

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 149 ✭✭cyburger

if you're not getting the full 7.1 mb at the moment, you may not get 12mb if you upgrade... and if you're not experiencing contention, unless there's a need for it (download limit etc) then you might be better off staying on the package you're on? ring them and see what the max speed your line can take is you can't see it in your modem stats.

Moving to "NG"N probably won't need a new modem unless your own is ancient - what do you have?

Advertisement