Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Rented room for €200 - anyone know a similar?

Options
  • 06-09-2011 11:15am
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 260 ✭✭

Hi,
    I rented a room for 200 a month! outside dublin as the prices had gone down during that time. But the owner is a real horsetrader and After moving in the 2 by 2 metre bedroom for 200 including all but the esb I found out there was no wireless internet connection even possible to speak of as it is remote and she does not share her internet. The total esb bill is shared and she is running a laundrette from her home and it is impossible to use the kitchen. When I was surprised with my electricity bill of 40 euros at the end of the month during the summer where the heating had been off, I wanted to discuss this. The landlady then stated that the bills will go up to 100 per month for me during the winter but she had decided to split it differently, namely she should not pay her part but instead the 2 girls renting should pay all as I was using the lightbulb every evening and also using a laptop. The other girl is renting a 4 by 2 metre bedroom for 200 euro per month. I did not know this when I moved in and was just assuming the price of 200 was right for my room, it is a chicken coup.
    There is no lock on the room and the landlady comes in every day and goes through all the stuff including my paperwork. She is a nosy one and when confronted with this she said she only opened the window every day for me because of the dampness. She has a kid in 1st grade. She had no one to mind it after school and just assumed that I would take the responsibility of collecting the kid and minding it until she gets home from work at 7. She works on hours basis and can take any time off during the day. But that would cost her hours and she wants the monies. When I was on the 2 weeks holidays she had put her stuff in my room and was using it.
    So my conclusion, get to know the story from the previous tennant before moving in. Anyone leaving a cheap room who has better experiences? Or anyone who has a house with an extra room who wants to rent this out without invading into the private live of the tennant? Please p.m. me.
    Got to go now, I have to get some lunch in town and pick up the kid from school.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 237 ✭✭djmcr

It was a doormat she was looking for, don't let her walk all over you like that

• Registered Users Posts: 601 ✭✭✭Magicmatilda

I don't really understand why you stay?

Does she pay you for child minding? If she tries to put up the Bill simply don't pay it. You need to move out, check on Daft. Also might be an idea to say where you are, you might get more responses to your request for a room then.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,096 ✭✭✭✭the groutch

get out of there asap, you're not there to pay her bills, or to be a childminder

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 260 ✭✭Anita M.

Fortunately the child is ok :) I got him under control.
    Not so much luck with the the electricity use of the mammy. The bill she ran up with her laundrette was 1500 units during the summer not including the gas bill. When I moved in she had stated my part would be 40 Euro so that is all she got the first time but I dont know how she calculates the 100 euro.

max 200 per month.
    pm me

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,285 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

Anita-

I've merged your two threads. Please don't open new threads on the same topic.

Cheers,

Shane

• Registered Users Posts: 78,399 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Where?

I told her that I cannot take care of the child anymore from tomorrow and she told me to get out by the morning. Anyone got a room to rent out for girl for 200? No smoking no drinking etc. Will NOT mind child. Will NOT write any more bad experience on here (just in case you worry about that)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,420 ✭✭✭✭athtrasna

You still haven't said where :confused: Your budget is miniscule...not going to be easy to find something

North county Dublin. She kicked me out and I had my stuff moved to a friend. Still looking for a room. 200 is a lot to spend on my budget.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,420 ✭✭✭✭athtrasna

Not exactly spoiled for choice but DAFT does have six rooms in the area in that price range http://www.daft.ie/searchsharing.daft?s%5Bcc_id%5D=ct1&s%5Ba_id%5D=ga4&s%5Bmnp%5D=&s%5Bmxp%5D=200&s%5Broom_type%5D=either&refine.x=97&refine.y=24&refine=Refine&search=1&s%5Bsearch_type%5D=sharing&s%5Bfurn%5D=&s%5Brefreshmap%5D=1&search_type=sharing&fr=default

To be honest I'm surprised there's any at that price...I know it might be a lot out of your budget but that doesn't mean there will be many rooms priced so low

Found a place :) but it is very small. Now looking for free wood to use to raise the bed so I can put a table under it, or a secondhand highsleeper.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,752 ✭✭✭el diablo

Anita M. wrote: »
    Found a place :) but it is very small. Now looking for free wood to use to raise the bed so I can put a table under it, or a secondhand highsleeper.

Why put a table under your bed? What's going on there?

We're all in this psy-op together.🤨

so i dont have to eat on the bed and work on the laptop on the bed and and and

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,285 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

Anita M. wrote: »

Try Freecycle- the Dublin chapter is quite active.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,324 ✭✭✭JustAThought

Wherever you found her, you should report her. Presumably she put an ad up somewhere. Dreadful. Maybe consider reporting her to the local social welfare office or council too. Doubtless she dosnt have a license for this commercial business in a residential house. The private residence tenancy agency would doubtless like to know about her too: if she's renting she should be registered there:.

• Registered Users Posts: 78,399 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Maybe consider reporting her to the local social welfare office
    On what grounds?
    or council too.
    Councils generally aren't interested in private residences.
    Doubtless she dosnt have a license for this commercial business in a residential house.
    What type of licence? No planning permission nor licence is needed to rent out a room. You do need to report earnings to the Revenue.
    The private residence tenancy agency would doubtless like to know about her too: if she's renting she should be registered there:.
    The PRTB doesn't apply where the landlord is resident, largely because its would be a licencee situation, not a tenancy one.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,879 ✭✭✭Coriolanus

Victor wrote: »
    Maybe consider reporting her to the local social welfare office
    On what grounds?
    or council too.
    Councils generally aren't interested in private residences.
    Doubtless she dosnt have a license for this commercial business in a residential house.
    What type of licence? No planning permission nor licence is needed to rent out a room. You do need to report earnings to the Revenue.
    The private residence tenancy agency would doubtless like to know about her too: if she's renting she should be registered there:.
    The PRTB doesn't apply where the landlord is resident, largely because its would be a licencee situation, not a tenancy one.
    The launderette is a commercial enterprise.

Advertisement