Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Nice Restaurant for first date?

Options
  • 06-09-2011 12:12pm
    Registered Users Posts: 34

Hey guys,

Just wondering if you recommend any nice places in galway city to eat out in for a first date??
    Nothing to flashly but just a place that does nice, simple food and thats not overly expensive!

Any help would be great! :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 979 ✭✭✭Keedowah

I like Ard Bia down at the Spanish Arch.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 902 ✭✭✭scholar007

Hey guys,

Just wondering if you recommend any nice places in galway city to eat out in for a first date??
    Nothing to flashly but just a place that does nice, simple food and thats not overly expensive!

Criteria:
    1). Not too flashy - Supermac's
    2). Nice simple food - Supermac's
    3). Not overly expensive - Supermac's

• Registered Users Posts: 817 ✭✭✭dafunk

Rouge is nice, on dominik street. They only have three options: steak, fish or veggie. I ate there the other day and it was great.

It's 15 euro for an amuse bouche and main with sides and they;ve a pretty good wine menu.

• Registered Users Posts: 414 ✭✭apoeiguq3094y

Hey guys,

The huntsmann does great food and its a bit more relaxed atmostphere than your typical restaurant. Lunch prices are around 10-15, but I think in the evening its closer to the 20 mark. Its also a nice place for a drink so you wouldn't have to move after. It is a bit far from town though.

Its also got loads of exits if you need to make a run for it :D

Evening menu --- > http://www.huntsmaninn.com/evening.html

• Registered Users Posts: 414 ✭✭apoeiguq3094y

The huntsmann does great food and its a bit more relaxed atmostphere than your typical restaurant. Lunch prices are around 10-15, but I think in the evening its closer to the 20 mark. Its also a nice place for a drink so you wouldn't have to move after. It is a bit far from town though.

Its also got loads of exits if you need to make a run for it :D

Evening menu --- > http://www.huntsmaninn.com/evening.html

They also do the best battered fish i have ever had. Its a really light and crispy batter. Its fantastically tasty.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,675 ✭✭✭ronnie3585

Milanos

• Registered Users Posts: 1,071 ✭✭✭gaeilgegrinds1

Rouge, ye will be able to talk, not expensive, good food and ye won't be rushed out. Enjoy!

• Registered Users Posts: 375 ✭✭jugger

star king on the headfor road Lunch is 12-4.30pm for €8.99 all you can eat too :D

• Registered Users Posts: 809 ✭✭✭dec25532

Vina Mara do a special for two with wine and a nice cosy atmosphere. Their prices have dropped somewhat. McSwiggans have a pleasant restaurant and they too offer good deals. Please don't go to the Huntsman, it is like factory food on the outskirts of town. Clickish as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,199 ✭✭✭muppetkiller

The Cottage in Salthill , Very good food, lovely relaxed atmosphere and wont be OTT for a first date.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,138 ✭✭✭paky

im sorry but there are no nice restaurants in galway

• Registered Users Posts: 669 ✭✭✭GalwayGaillimh

The Galleon beside the Church in Salthill is one of the finest places Ive had the pleasure of dining in recently. You can go to confession after in Salthill Church or Bingo in Caesars or a nice walk on the prom!

Si Deus Nobiscum Qui Contra Nos

• Closed Accounts Posts: 271 ✭✭JimiWonderDoor 92

The Galleon beside the Church in Salthill is one of the finest places Ive had the pleasure of dining in recently. You can go to confession after in Salthill Church or Bingo in Caesars or a nice walk on the prom!

Ha

This made me laugh a LOT. :D

Second that place on Domnick st and certainly not too flashy ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,846 ✭✭✭siltirocker

High Lane cafe (actually a restaurant) upstairs on High Street. entrance between 'Bunch of Grapes' & the 'Sonny's' entrance of the 'Front Door' is amazing. And cheap as. I had a 5 topping 10'' pizza, a Coke and a latte and I think it came to like 11 euro or something.

• Registered Users Posts: 174 ✭✭AnnaVanilla

+1 for Arb Bia/Nimmos or Rouge.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 42 Cherry_Angel

Vina Mara: Great deals for 2 + wine!

Cookes restaurant (beside CPS) Perfect Liting/atmosphere for a first date.... Candlelight, very intimate and romantic, not overly pricey would certainly impress me!!

• Registered Users Posts: 174 ✭✭AnnaVanilla

Vina Mara: Great deals for 2 + wine!

Cookes restaurant (beside CPS) Perfect Liting/atmosphere for a first date.... Candlelight, very intimate and romantic, not overly pricey would certainly impress me!!

Cookes is lovely too! And just saw the Cottage mentioned above, if it doesn't have to be in the city centre, that's a really nice place, very relaxed.

Good luck with your date btw :)

• Registered Users Posts: 363 ✭✭swe_fi

I would suggest The Malt House for a first date, nice atmosphere and good food. I'd like to try Rouge now as well as there has been some good feedback on it.

For more casual first dates I have 2 other suggestions - places where you can get something small and finish relatively quickly if things turn awkward.

A place that i tend to forget about that i like is Sheridans winebar.
    It is on the second floor down where the Sunday Market is - ok they don't do food but you can get cheese and wine which is supposedly sophisticated :-)
    http://www.sheridanscheesemongers.com/index.php/wine/wineshop

The other place is Javas on upper Abbeygate street for something light to eat, glass of wine and a coffee

• Registered Users Posts: 4,222 ✭✭✭Scruff

Cava on Dominic St might suit.
    Its a tapas restaurant so it can be as cheap or expensive as ye want. It also has a lively atmosphere (on weekends anyway) so might be better than the quieter venues for a 1st date as there will be plenty of hustle and bustle to cover any potential awkward silences if thats what yer worried about and\or think and intimate setting is ott for a 1st date.

http://www.cavarestaurant.ie/

• Registered Users Posts: 546 ✭✭✭gaillimhabu

Thai gardens. Eary bird before 7 is €16.80 for 4 course.
    Nice atmosphere for a date. The girlfriend liked it anyhow when I brought her there although it's wasn't for a first date

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,932 ✭✭✭Sniipe

I like the Oslo in Salthill.

• Registered Users Posts: 498 ✭✭bobbytables

Fat Freddies on Quay St.

Myself & the OH have been going on dates to this place for years & it never seems to lose it's charm ;)

jugger wrote: »
    star king on the headfor road Lunch is 12-4.30pm for €8.99 all you can eat too :D

Great place to bring a burd who is fond of her grub - If she's still hungry after that, you could bring her somewhere else for a bit of sausage. :D

scholar007 wrote: »
    Great place to bring a burd who is fond of her grub - If she's still hungry after that, you could bring her somewhere else for a bit of sausage. :D

or maybe a hotdog :pac: :pac: :pac: :pac:

Supermacs.

I R Rosemantic.

• Registered Users Posts: 968 ✭✭✭Sofa King

Artisan on Quay Street.

• Registered Users Posts: 468 ✭✭irishlady29

Cactus Jacks is pretty good, we went there a few weeks back, early bird menu was 20 euro for 3 course and a glass of wine

• Registered Users Posts: 2,650 ✭✭✭cooperguy

I have eaten there twice. First was pretty average. Second time was just plain bad.

Cava wouldnt be the cheapest place in the world but it makes for an interesting meal and you get to try lots of different things and there is a guy playing music in the corner. Might be interesting for a date.

Cookes is good value and has a very "Date" atmophere with the candles and stuff. It might be good too

• Registered Users Posts: 35 lighterthought

Nevermind the restaurants, you've got your recommendations - I want to know how the date went!

• Advertisement
Advertisement