Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Waterford Tournaments

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 606 ✭✭✭Flanders536

Sairus wrote: »
    Do you have a list of rules for the fighting games? (I don't see much need to post the others here... we're kind of specialized )

No problem :)

At the last event we ran with, best of 5, one round match ups, this was my fault as I did not alot enough time and did not fully comprehend the rules required for competitive fighting games.

The feedback I got was great allowing me to change the rules so gamers get the fullest experience taking part.

I hope the below co-insides with what you would expect. If any of it does not make sense or is incorrect please reply.
    My Beat em up expert is on holidays at the moment :)

Beat em up's will consist of the best of 3 games

Game 1 - Best of 3 rounds

Loser of the game may select a different character for Game 2. Winner may not.

Game 2 - Best of 3 rounds

If the loser from Game 1 loses again the match up is over.

If he wins the other player may chose another character for the deciding game. The winner may not.

Game 3 - Best of 3 rounds

Winner progress's to the next stage of the tournament.

The finals may consist of blind selection(were still contemplating it)

Regards,
    Flanders536

• Registered Users Posts: 11,006 ✭✭✭✭chopperbyrne

Your use of the word Round is confusing.

All matches should be best of three games (which are set to three rounds for Street Fighter/MK/BB and five rounds for Tekken/Soul Calibur/VF).

If you lose a game, you may switch character, winner must pick the same character, but may switch Ultra/Super (game dependent).

For each new match, you may pick whatever character you like.

Your use of the word Round is confusing.

For each new match, you may pick whatever character you like.

By this, do you mean tournament stages? As that would be correct.

I have also altered my post, changing the wording so it is less confusing.

Regards,
    Flanders536

• Registered Users Posts: 4,971 ✭✭✭Orim

Beat em up's will consist of the best of 3 rounds (Double elimination)

Match 1 - Best of 3 rounds

Loser of round may select a different character for round 2. Winner may not.

Match 2 - Best of 3 rounds

If the loser from Round 1 loses again the match up is over.

If he wins the other player may chose another character for the deciding round. The winner may not.

Match 3 - Best of 3 rounds

I don't know if this is the edited version but I believe the combination of the word round at the top and in the description is the confusing part. I see what you mean but it just goes against our normal lexicon and seems rather disjointed in your description. FYI we would say that there is Rounds > Games > Matches.

So to fix up what you have written would follow as such :

Beat em up's will consist of the best of 3 games (Double elimination)

Game 1 - Best of 3 rounds

Loser of the game may select a different character for round 2. Winner may not.

Game 2 - Best of 3 rounds

If the loser from Game 1 loses again the match up is over.

If he wins the other player may chose another character for the deciding game. The winner may not.

Game 3 - Best of 3 rounds

Your use of double elimination is also confusing. Double elimination would refer to the way the entire tournament bracket. This is explained here : http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Double-elimination_tournament

From your post I don't believe you are planning to do this and tbh for the event I don't believe you should. However, as I say, the use of the phrase is confusing.

Hope this helps.

Hey Orim,

Thanks for the clear up, I just wanted to get the information out.

I have removed the double elimination(nice catch) from this post as we will only use this for our all day events starting next month.

Regards,
    Flanders536

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 729 ✭✭✭J0hnick

No sign of Marvel, shame, though I guess it isnt as popular in Ireland as Mortal Kombat or Tekken :(

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 25,868 Mod ✭✭✭✭Doctor DooM

J0hnick wrote: »
    No sign of Marvel, shame, though I guess it isnt as popular in Ireland as Mortal Kombat or Tekken :(

Lol, Marvel is way, way more popular than either as a tournament game.

As a casual, I guess not so much.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,919 ✭✭✭1man3letters

for now doom, for now ;)
    has got very little tourny play here compared to others

We do have MVC, we did not get a huge call for it at our last event,

The main problem we face is we need to be sure we have a prize for every tournament we run, we also need to make sure we have one of our TVs' and an Xbox available for the 2 hour tournament.

What I can do is have the game available on the night, and if we get 16 signs for it we will run it. I will also guarantee a prize.

The only thing I would require is rules. As I've said my expert is on holidays, if anyone here would like to contribute a basic tournament rule list, I could work from there.

Regards,
    Flanders536

The only thing I would require is rules. As I've said my expert is on holidays, if anyone here would like to contribute a basic tournament rule list, I could work from there.

Regards,
    Flanders536

Same as every other fighter, but I did notice ye didnt have the the full roster unlocked at the last event, you'll need to make sure they are unlocked if your gonna run it. This just means somebody is gonna have to beat the arcade mode a couple of times till they meet the following requirements

Akuma - Gain 2000 player points by playing any mode
    Hsien-Ko - Gain 6000 player points by playing any mode
    Sentinel - Gain 4000 player points by playing any mode
    Taskmaster - Gain 8000 player points by playing any mode

Theres also the two DLC characters, Jill and Shuma, they cost 400ms points each. Seeing as there wasn't much interest in Marvel the first time you could give them a miss this time round, they arent that popular, but if you get decent numbers for Marvel you will want to have them going forward.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 25,868 Mod ✭✭✭✭Doctor DooM

We do have MVC, we did not get a huge call for it at our last event,

it's probably easy to miss but what I meant by that was the "serious" scene has quite a few Marvel players but for random casual players Tekken or MK would probably attract more.

It's a difficult situation too for people like me who would gladly travel to a tournament but are certainly not able to on a week night and are already generally booked out for the first weekend of the month by the established "Inferno" event. So I would not be suprised if Marvel is not drawing figures (of course you should go with whatever does).

UPDATE: The date for this event has been changed to the 8th of October(Saturday) due to feedback and also to accommodate gamers from other county's.

Regards,
    Flanders536

UPDATE: The date for this event has been changed to the 8th of October(Saturday) due to feedback and also to accommodate gamers from other county's.

Regards,
    Flanders536

Cool, Talk Talk going away party on the 7th, then this the next night :)

For those "Ye Olde Gaming" types, here are a few games for our retro corner on the 8th.

Street Fighter II for the Amiga.

9rofhh.jpg

Street Fighter II for the Sega Mega Drive.

s1uwqs.jpg

Mortal Kombat for the Amiga.

307m6vr.jpg

Regards,
    Flanders536

• Closed Accounts Posts: 58 ✭✭spacenugget

Around what time will this start, and can you bring your own arcade stick? :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,333 ✭✭✭Sairus

http://randomselect.ie/index.php/2011/10/04/g4x-egl-gaming-event-night-8th-october/

Start time is 18:30 with tournaments running throughout the night till 01:00.
    €5 entry to the venue. To enter tournaments you also have to buy a €5 Gamer Card which will let you enter 5 tournaments. If you want to enter any more tournaments on the night they'll be an additional €1 each.
    Tournaments will be running in:

Super Street Fighter 4 Arcade Edition (360)
    Tekken 6 (PS3)
    Mortal Kombat (PS3)

FIFA 12
    Need For Speed Hot Pursuit
    Halo Reach
    Gran Turismo 5
    CoDBlOps
    Starcraft 2

I would assume you're allowed bring your own stick, but I'm not 100%

suppose its not that big of a deal to lug the stick onto town anyway, Ive a friend living just behind revolution so I could fire it up there if it comes to that :o

I was hoping to drive in and play a game or two, now it looks like Ill be biking in and getting a drink or two instead :D awesome

edit: You making the trip Sairus? Never had a game against you even though your on my friends list since the start of the year :o

Just back from tonight's G4X, for the most part, totally awesome (mainly cause I won the 2nd tournie ;-)).

There were 2 SSF4:AE tournaments, I think the 6:30 start time kind of hurt them as they didnt have enough people for a 32 man tournament at first and had to make it 16. I turned up at 7:30 and just barely missed sign ups for the first tournie, and had to wait till 9:30 till I could actually play a competitive game outside casuals. Araforn/BanjobB was destroying everybody with his Chun and made it to the finals, but apparently left before the finals started :confused:, so by default Dale (who he beat but won both previous G4X tournaments) took his place and won the first tournament.

The 2nd Tournament was interesting to say the least, as a Guy player I knew I was one of only 2 people in Ireland on both XBL and PSN who plays Guy at an above average level, the other being Astro Tuned. I knew there was another Guy player called Space Nugget from Waterford but seeing as I never saw him online, never thought anything of it. Well ladies and gents, it turns out Astro Tuned and Space Nugget are the same guy (no pun intended). I had some awesome games against him, his execution is better then mine, but I think with my age making me the Alex Valle of waterford I had the upper hand in the mind game department.

I won the 2nd tournament, but Astro Tuned/Space nugget was the real winner, because in the raffle he ended up winning the grand prize of a 320gb PS3 :eek:. Lucky bastard :p

Some other notes, due to demand Mortal Kombat had twice as many setups as SSF4:AE and Tekken 6 was almost dead untill the end of the night, it definitely showed there is a MK scene in Waterford.

Great night, my only gripes were that the LG TV's we were playing on were laggy as hell, I enabled game mode which helped a lot but didnt totally eliminate it. The fact that I was waiting almost 2 hours to play a serious game just showed that whilst the turn out was low at first, it got a lot bigger as the night went on, so maybe think of having some more SSF4:AE setups.

All in all though, good ****,but maybe Im being bias because I won :p

Ive got some matches recorded from my phone I will up soon, quality is not great but watchable, peace ;).

as a Guy player I knew I was one of only 2 people in Ireland on both XBL and PSN who plays Guy at an above average level, the other being Astro Tuned. I knew there was another Guy player called Space Nugget from Waterford but seeing as I never saw him online, never thought anything of it. Well ladies and gents, it turns out Astro Tuned and Space Nugget are the same guy (no pun intended).
    I had some awesome games against him, his execution is better then mine, but I think with my age making me the Alex Valle of waterford I had the upper hand in the mind game department.

I won the 2nd tournament

:D I was Astro Turd, then they (xboxlive) added turd to the naughty words list :mad: so had to change it. AstroTurd/SpaceNugget almost makes sense, but now its a bit lame.... Ill have to change my GT I think. :pac:

Nah man your really selling yourself short, but I suppose I agree on the Valle comparison, your safe as houses. I was Looking for gaps or mistimed jumps and couldnt find any. While I was looking your winning. Plus you forced me to try counter with Makoto :rolleyes: That went.... urrgghh
    Deserved wins overall man.
    Also that Ibuki player was tricky as hell. Everything he did seemed random as hell but wasnt.... it was like trying to call bluffs in poker but on every hand he was all in. When I finally though 'ha ha gottcha' he was baiting me. lol :D

Some other notes, due to demand Mortal Kombat had twice as many setups as SSF4:AE and Tekken 6 was almost dead untill the end of the night, it definitely showed there is a MK scene in Waterford.
    Great night, my only gripes were that the LG TV's we were playing on were laggy as hell, I enabled game mode which helped a lot but didnt totally eliminate it. The fact that I was waiting almost 2 hours to play a serious game just showed that whilst the turn out was low at first, it got a lot bigger as the night went on, so maybe think of having some more SSF4:AE setups.

Mortal Kombat got good numbers, that game confuses the hell outta me so I gave it a wide berth. Tekken.... man I'll go out on a limb and say Tekken is fun as fu*k, I havent played it since Tekken3 and I couldnt resist having a go. I somehow mashed my way to second place lol, Twas epic and the luckiest thing I thought I done tonight :pac:

The TV was laggy, this Im 100% sure of because after the shock I got at inferno I moved my 360 and have been using the CRT in the sitting room the last week to break the habits Ive gotten from my HDtv (;)). Funnily it wasnt as bad as my HD and I guess after a game or two I fell back into the old timing.

The tv was fecking huge though... it was like sitting in the cinema in the front seats. I guess (I could be in the minorty tho) a tv around the size of the Tekken/Kombat ones would be better, but I must say as a spectator the larger screen was a plus.

All in all though, good ****,but maybe Im being bias because I won :p

Ive got some matches recorded from my phone I will up soon, quality is not great but watchable, peace ;).

Ah it was a great laugh, really relaxed outside of the games, and I honestly had a great night. Will attend the next.

My only suggestions:
    1: Super Street Fighter Turbo tourny should be run. The Sega Megadrive in the corner pretty much had SSF2 on it all night and was being played by everyone. HD remix set to classic on an Xbox would be ideal. Everyone in the SFIV tourny would sign up and others will because it looks like SF. Could be a great laugh.

2: It was very hot at times :( I have no Idea what could remedy it, but an open window would have been awesome.

3: I cant think of a three.

but Astro Tuned/Space nugget was the real winner, because in the raffle he ended up winning the grand prize of a 320gb PS3 eek.gif. Lucky bastard :p

LOL man I'm honestly still in shock over that.... absolutly fu*king delighted. Seriously, now I can buy little big planet and stop playing this crappy street fighter thing. But yeah..... lol.... I just got handed a PS3.. deadly.
    :D:D:D:

Slightly tipsy Dan signing off. I apologise for grammer, spelling or coarse language

• Registered Users Posts: 531 ✭✭✭BanjoB

Ggs last night lads.
    Had to leave at 9 unfortunately. Next time I won't drive in, have a few beers and even try some of the other games. Fair play to G4X though, the whole place was very well set-up and I can see a bigger venue needed in the future.
    Seems there's a decent level of players around these parts too :). 2 setups next time for street fighter would be excellent, especially if more people signed up after I left.

• Advertisement

A couple of matches from the 2nd tournament, apologies for the quality, the camera on my phone sucks ass but its watchable.

man I really need to work on that cr.MP, st.Mp link :( The amount of times I missed it in the blanka match was silly. I was a bit sloppy over all (missing karakusa to HP :rolleyes:) hopefully last night can help with the 'playing in front of people' thing.

Makoto was a bad move lol. Its cool to watch these back, I remember the Guy/Guy mirror being really one sided and heavily in your favour, but its not so bad looking at it now :)

@BanjoB
    Yeah man I was surprised to see you leave considering your chun was swatting people away like flies :eek: hopefully I'll catch you at the next one or we can organise casuals in the town somewhere and get John, Dale etc at em.

• Registered Users Posts: 531 ✭✭✭BanjoB

@BanjoB
    Yeah man I was surprised to see you leave considering your chun was swatting people away like flies :eek: hopefully I'll catch you at the next one or we can organise casuals in the town somewhere and get John, Dale etc at em.

Yeah man. Def would be up for some casuals some time. I didn't even realise the second tournament was gonna be bigger number wise until after i left so theres a good few that might come to casuals.

• Registered Users Posts: 12 Tossi

:D
    Also that Ibuki player was tricky as hell. Everything he did seemed random as hell but wasnt.... it was like trying to call bluffs in poker but on every hand he was all in. When I finally though 'ha ha gottcha' he was baiting me. lol :D

Bahaha and I remember thinking there's no way I'll play the guy who brought the stick but I did so just busted on with the xbox pad and tried to act the bollocks! Was a good game and even though I lost i managed to get in a perfect which I was happy with :pac:

I had stopped playing sf4 until the last tournament and it's gotten me back into it! So much so I was playing it tonight and sunday and now as a result my SE stick is bust! So i think i'll get meself an auld q4 with my money from TalkTalk so I can use it on the xbox's!

And I did some laughing at johns video when I'm playing him last, just doing neck breakers all the time and even had the joy of using a TE stick there! Had way too many scoops to do anything imaginative (lol jokes I'm a dope for getting stuck in patterns)

I'd say I'll try make it down to the cork g4x on the 22nd of this month (all day long tourny) as I don't think I'll have another job by then. Might even try get into a tempest TBH after all the long fingering I've done with going, my girlfriend lives there so it's not really an issue with the travelling/place to stay

Advertisement