Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

coppy right question

Options
  • 06-09-2011 12:34pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2

i am just wondering if i turn photos of meath nature and costlines into picture frames and postcards and sell them am i breaking any coppyright laws, or do i need permission to sell them on.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,739 ✭✭✭mneylon

Who took the photos?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 lukeckav

myself

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,943 ✭✭✭smcgiff

Then you own the copyright and can sell.

Owning the copyright of photo's is how your man from Stockbyte made his millions.

The only issue you *might* face is if you have photos of people and haven't got the requisite release forms signed, but if you're selling photos of the countryside etc., you'd be fine.

• Registered Users Posts: 72 ✭✭Mr Moxie

smcgiff wrote: »
    Then you own the copyright and can sell.

Owning the copyright of photo's is how your man from Stockbyte made his millions.

Jerry Kennelly... Legend!
    He has recently launched Tweak.com
    He is patron of a biz start up program in Kerry, called Endeavour Entrepreneur Programme.

Just thought I'd share :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,881 ✭✭✭IRE60

Permission!

I worked on a publication. Great summers day snapper doing 'out and about stuff'. Got a mega pic of two people hand in hand on dollymount - Poolbeg in the background, sun behind that.

Print and be dammed - Pic Ran.

Panic ensued.

Fella on the phone begging us to kill the pic for later editions and he was featured holding hands.

He was in 'Galway' and his wife might see the pic!

Be very careful!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,700 ✭✭✭tricky D

Blacknight wrote: »
    The only issue you *might* face is if you have photos of people and haven't got the requisite release forms signed, but if you're selling photos of the countryside etc., you'd be fine.

I believe it works something like this: you need releases for people who's image has significant professional value like models or sports persons. An ordinary person on the street's image doesn't have this value, so no release is required under image rights concepts.

tricky D wrote: »
    I believe it works something like this: you need releases for people who's image has significant professional value like models or sports persons. An ordinary person on the street's image doesn't have this value, so no release is required under image rights concepts.
    I'm not so sure about that. In a previous life my employer's contract included a waiver to cover any use of any employee's image

Advertisement