Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

McDonald's in the Crescent

• 06-09-2011 12:46pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 563 ✭✭✭

I've been to many a McDonald's in my time, but there is something about the Crescent McDonald's that just rubs me up the wrong way.

1. The drivethru is dog awkward to get into. If you're coming from the city centre direction, its not too bad. If you're coming from the Dooradoyle side, you'll be blocking traffic for 5 minutes before you find a gap.

2. Service is slow. Very slow. Its supposed to be fast food. One morning, I was in the drivethru and decided I just wanted a coffee. This should have taken a few seconds. It took over four minutes before someone spotted me waiting at the second window and went over to the machine to get the coffee. Staffing levels inside seem inadequate for demand also. There are always big queues but usually only 2 or 3 out of 5 counters are staffed.

3. Non existent service at drivethru on some occasions. I was there one morning and waited at the order box but no one took my order. I waited a good three of four minutes and drove round and could see people inside but there was no one manning the drivethru. Wtf?

4. Questionable food. Ok, I know its not fine cuisine, but compared to other McDonald's, I find the food a bit off. Their Big Mac's and McChicken Sandwiches just aren't as nice as other McDonalds and often taste like they've been sitting out on the rack for a good while. I also got a bacon roll one morning and there was actually blue mould on the roll. I couldn't believe it for a company with such strict quality control.

5. Restaurant layout. I just think its awful compared to others. Very little seating and they're arranged in such a way that you can't sit someplace without facing someone else.

Am I the only person that feels this way? I can't help but get the feeling that there is very poor management at the Crescent McDonald's and if Head Office were aware of this, it wouldn't be long before the franchise is taken off them.

I'll save my rant on the Henry Street Subway for another day...

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,853 ✭✭✭Poxyshamrock

BESman wrote: »

Looking forward to it :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,648 ✭✭✭vkid

I've been to many a McDonald's in my time, but there is something about the Crescent McDonald's that just rubs me up the wrong way.

1. The drivethru is dog awkward to get into. If you're coming from the city centre direction, its not too bad. If you're coming from the Dooradoyle side, you'll be blocking traffic for 5 minutes before you find a gap.

2. Service is slow. Very slow. Its supposed to be fast food. One morning, I was in the drivethru and decided I just wanted a coffee. This should have taken a few seconds. It took over four minutes before someone spotted me waiting at the second window and went over to the machine to get the coffee. Staffing levels inside seem inadequate for demand also. There are always big queues but usually only 2 or 3 out of 5 counters are staffed.

3. Non existent service at drivethru on some occasions. I was there one morning and waited at the order box but no one took my order. I waited a good three of four minutes and drove round and could see people inside but there was no one manning the drivethru. Wtf?

4. Questionable food. Ok, I know its not fine cuisine, but compared to other McDonald's, I find the food a bit off. Their Big Mac's and McChicken Sandwiches just aren't as nice as other McDonalds and often taste like they've been sitting out on the rack for a good while. I also got a bacon roll one morning and there was actually blue mould on the roll. I couldn't believe it for a company with such strict quality control.

5. Restaurant layout. I just think its awful compared to others. Very little seating and they're arranged in such a way that you can't sit someplace without facing someone else.

Am I the only person that feels this way? I can't help but get the feeling that there is very poor management at the Crescent McDonald's and if Head Office were aware of this, it wouldn't be long before the franchise is taken off them.

No offence but you have a lot to be worried about.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 563 ✭✭✭BESman

vkid wrote: »
    No offence but you have a lot to be worried about.

Inches of column space are wasted on trivial matters like the US deficit, turmoil in the Middle East and the ongoing European financial crisis. I'd like to see a discussion on the issues that matter - the marginal declining quality of our local fast food outlets.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,532 ✭✭✭touts

In the times I've eaten there or used the drivetru I saw no difference to any other McDonalds. To be honest you're expecting too much from McDonalds. They aren't exactly pitching at a Michelin star.

touts wrote: »
    In the times I've eaten there or used the drivetru I saw no difference to any other McDonalds. To be honest you're expecting too much from McDonalds. They aren't exactly pitching at a Michelin star.

I'm only comparing it to other McDonalds and I think its below par on that basis.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,747 ✭✭✭ShatterProof

Go down to the round about and come back up much easier.

Also you wont be holding up all the traffic behind you while trying to get in that way.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

the one out by Storm cinema is much nicer alright.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,498 ✭✭✭alanhiggyno1

With the way the country is now this minute this guy wants to talk bout the state of fast food.I'll sum this up in one sentence.get a life!!and quick

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,747 ✭✭✭ShatterProof

Go down to the round about and come back up much easier.

Also you wont be holding up all the traffic behind you while trying to get in that way.

Actually is it illegal to make that right turn ???

krudler wrote: »
    the one out by Storm cinema is much nicer alright.

Never been, must put onto my to do list.

To be fair, most fast food connoisseurs know that there are subtle differences between each branch. For example, I remember a few years back, the Supermac's in Gort was a lot to different to other Supermacs'. It had red sauce in the burgers. Its been brought in line with other branches in recent years.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 101 ✭✭FCUM

:D

• Registered Users Posts: 5,730 ✭✭✭europa11

By no means would I be described as a fast-food junkie and tbh, since watching "Super Size Me" I haven't entered a McDonalds - I know, American beef is shlte and the ones here use Irish beef (well I hope so). It's a place which for me has never held much appeal and BESman's post, esp. in relation to the mouldy roll won't have me changing my mind soon. I thought these franchises were subject to QC tests from headquarters. Perhaps not as rigourous as they'd have you think.

But if you are looking for decent and really good fast-food in the Crescent, get out of the car and try the KFC outlet there. Very surprised by just how good the food was when I (sceptically) tried it during the ....ahem, summer...and have gone back on a few occasions since. Best chicken I've had in ages.

Looking forward to that review on Henry St. Subway :) , the whiff of whatever it is, be it seasoning or MSG out of that place is enough to get me running past like Willie O'Dea on skates.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

europa11 wrote: »
    By no means would I be described as a fast-food junkie and tbh, since watching "Super Size Me" I haven't entered a McDonalds - I know, American beef is shlte and the ones here use Irish beef (well I hope so). It's a place which for me has never held much appeal and BESman's post, esp. in relation to the mouldy roll won't have me changing my mind soon. I thought these franchises were subject to QC tests from headquarters. Perhaps not as rigourous as they'd have you think.

But if you are looking for decent and really good fast-food in the Crescent, get out of the car and try the KFC outlet there. Very surprised by just how good the food was when I (sceptically) tried it during the ....ahem, summer...and have gone back on a few occasions since. Best chicken I've had in ages.

Looking forward to that review on Henry St. Subway :) , the whiff of whatever it is, be it seasoning or MSG out of that place is enough to get me running past like Willie O'Dea on skates.

that aint chicken you're eating in KFC :pac: I dont mind stuff like the popcorn chicken but the actual breasts of chicken are awful, the underside is like eating the inside of a greasy scab. greasy, sickening sh1te.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,730 ✭✭✭europa11

Well maybe its the coating that was doing the trick for me, in any case it tasted fine, it looked clean and thoroughly cooked when I was eating it at the premises. Have to admit no drink induced false appetite was involved either - that's what God built The Chicken Hut for.

So apart from that it was the best scabby. greasy, sickening sh1te I ever had :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,152 ✭✭✭✭Berty

Actually is it illegal to make that right turn ???

Unfortunately it is not and the reason is because there is a broken white line. Most people with common sense would realise this broken white line is for traffic wishing to cross over to the surgery/vet but those without common sense, ignoring the roundabout, hold up the entire lane of traffic trying to cross the road.

Speaking of McDonalds. I am now boycotting McDonalds in Shannon because it is privately owned and he has not reduced his prices. I asked the girl why the McMuffins are more expensive here than other places and was told that basically he sets the prices and when the VAT went down he put down the VAT but put the prices back up as well. :mad:

Not a huge fan of KFC. Its very slow and busy all the time. The imaging is very misleading too. Portions are never as big as advertised. It is nice for a change though and its kind of a more "premium" fast food restaurant.

Post above re Shannon - very surprised by that. I would have thought in a country as small as Ireland that McDonalds' HQ would demand uniform pricing, regardless of private ownership. Definitely ain't good for image if he isn't passing on VAT decrease and has higher prices for certain menu items.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,591 ✭✭✭✭Aidric

krudler wrote: »
    that aint chicken you're eating in KFC :pac: I dont mind stuff like the popcorn chicken but the actual breasts of chicken are awful, the underside is like eating the inside of a greasy scab. greasy, sickening sh1te.

How many greasy scabs have you eaten?

Not a huge fan of KFC. Its very slow and busy all the time. The imaging is very misleading too. Portions are never as big as advertised. It is nice for a change though and its kind of a more "premium" fast food restaurant.

KFC has 98% fat free chicken with the process of Pressure Cooking they use. Salt content is quite high in the breading though so it kind of cancels each other out.

Chips are bland. Burger King chips, KFC chicken and that elusive gassy fountain coke which nobody has would be good also.
    Post above re Shannon - very surprised by that. I would have thought in a country as small as Ireland that McDonalds' HQ would demand uniform pricing, regardless of private ownership. Definitely ain't good for image if he isn't passing on VAT decrease and has higher prices for certain menu items.

Don't be too hard on him. He DID pass on the VAT decrease but increased his prices afterwards. This is the story I was told from the employee when I asked about the pricing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,394 ✭✭✭jonski

1: as already said go down and around the roundabout
    2: I don't use the drivethru anymore , I park around the side and go in , can't say I have noticed any big queues recently , maybe it's the time I am in there .
    3: see 2
    4: I actually think the food is consistent in there and prefer it to both Cruises St. and the one out in Dunnes on the Ennis road .
    5: I never sit down in there so can't really comment but I wouldn't be expecting much privacy in a fast food joint .

All in all I think they are on a par with any of the other MCDs . The staff there are very nice and have been there a good while . I remember backl a few years ago with the place was absolutely brutal for both service and food but it has improved greatly since then .

The main comment I would make about Subway is ........................ I just love the smell coming from there when you walk in the front door of the Crescent .

And I'll also add this here because ( I forgot/was too lazy/there was no summer ) to start a thread about it . Quigley in the Crescent has the best Ice Cream Cones in Limerick ! fact !

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,279 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

Haven't darkened the door of a McDonald's in about 8 years. Absolutely terrible food. Would not even touch their "healthy" food. If I drank coffee it was also be the last place I would buy it from.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,106 ✭✭✭✭TestTransmission

Have you actually made any complaints?
    Have you ever requested to speak to management?
    Why don't you write a letter to the franchise office and and follow it up with a phonecall.I can't see how you expect anything to be done by just posting up here

bazz26 wrote: »
    Haven't darkened the door of a McDonald's in about 8 years. Absolutely terrible food. Would not even touch their "healthy" food. If I drank coffee it was also be the last place I would buy it from.

Ah to be fair about their Coffee. It is produced/roasted by United Coffee in the UK and is a very good blend they have. It is Fairtrade and Organic which is fairly good. Their bean to cup machines are fairly good as well and McDonalds will have better training than most people in the business.

Much better than most of the Coffee on sale in Limerick. Even places with great Coffee can be terrible at preparing it.

http://www.unitedcoffeeuk.com/

Beer Baron wrote: »
    Ah to be fair about their Coffee. It is produced/roasted by United Coffee in the UK and is a very good blend they have. It is Fairtrade and Organic which is fairly good. Their bean to cup machines are fairly good as well and McDonalds will have better training than most people in the business.

Much better than most of the Coffee on sale in Limerick. Even places with great Coffee can be terrible at preparing it.

http://www.unitedcoffeeuk.com/

I would agree with this. The coffee there is high quality and keenly priced at €2. Subway coffee is excellent also. If I can't get a Tim Hortons, I'll go for McD's or Subway.

In response to earlier comment re complaining, I would only have complained about the blue mould on the roll, which is pretty unacceptable for any restaurant. But I was long gone before I noticed it and couldn't really be bothered over a couple of euro. If I had discovered it on the premises, I would definitely have complained.

Correct me if I'm wrong... but wasn't there a major scandal in the Crescent McDonald's a few years back over something a customer found in their order? I must try this Google thing and see...

Correct me if I'm wrong... but wasn't there a major scandal in the Crescent McDonald's a few years back over something a customer found in their order? I must try this Google thing and see...

I thought I had found it earlier but it was an old link to a Swiss issue. I think it was a Condom in the Crescent Branch though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,015 ✭✭✭✭Mc Love

Whats wrong with the Henry st Subway - would love to hear why you hate it?!

Beer Baron wrote: »
    I thought I had found it earlier but it was an old link to a Swiss issue. I think it was a Condom in the Crescent Branch though.

Yes thats what I thought it was... Apparently they were very flippant to the woman who found it too.

• Registered Users Posts: 26 Skottoman

As an American who travels to Europe fairly often, It saddens me to see the crap fast food stuff from America invading the rest of the world. I avoid it here as much as I can.

What other country has invaded America with their chains of fast food? None really... So when I'm in Europe, and I stand on a corner and see a Starbucks, McDonalds, KFC and Pizza hit on each corner, it's a real bummer...

I'll actually be visiting Limerick next week, and will be avoiding any "American" fast food stuffs....

Oh, to stay relevant, even the quality of the McD's over here vary widely. From nasty scummy, badly designed ones, to posh ones that play classical music and serve pastries and coffee.

Cheers,
    Skottoman

Skottoman wrote: »
    As an American who travels to Europe fairly often, It saddens me to see the crap fast food stuff from America invading the rest of the world. I avoid it here as much as I can.

What other country has invaded America with their chains of fast food? None really... So when I'm in Europe, and I stand on a corner and see a Starbucks, McDonalds, KFC and Pizza hit on each corner, it's a real bummer...

I'm still waiting for Taco Bell, White Castle and Windy's to make it over the water....

I'm still waiting for Taco Bell, White Castle and Wendy's to make it over the water....

Hell Yeah. Fatten me up. (more) :D

Throw us in a Red Rooster from Australia as well. ;)

@ Skottoman. At least your Mcds serves Beer and Dr Pepper. Even a bad restaurant chain like Ponderosa would be good because they have all you can eat. :D:D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,015 ✭✭✭✭Mc Love

I'm still waiting for Taco Bell, White Castle and Windy's to make it over the water....

The only one I am waiting for is In 'n' Out Burger! That place is heaven!!

Advertisement