Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

McDonald's in the Crescent

2»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,152 ✭✭✭✭Berty

Mc Love wrote: »
    The only one I am waiting for is In 'n' Out Burger! That place is heaven!!

Googled In n Out Burger and went to home page. Home page looks like something you might see in a "Road Trip" Movie. It's looks cool and cartoonish but I'm sure the burgers don't look like that. Could be a "Falling down" moment.

Still / books ticket to America and brings waist 38" with me. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 26 Skottoman

They don't actually serve beer at any McD's I've ever seen in America. That is something that you can get in France or somewhere else...

Taco Bell? Perhaps someday in europe.... it's not really "mexican" food though. OR very good... California has some "real" mexican food though for sure!

In-n-out Burger? I agree, pretty good for what it is.

To stay relevant, I'll say that all these places vary in the quality of food/cleanliness/restaraunt design. They are changing the corporate look of the McDonalds in our town. Food is the same, building is completely different now!

I say you push Chicken Hut or Abrakebabra to start invading America. Haha....

Cheers,
    Skottoman

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,015 ✭✭✭✭Mc Love

Beer Baron wrote: »
    Googled In n Out Burger and went to home page. Home page looks like something you might see in a "Road Trip" Movie. It's looks cool and cartoonish but I'm sure the burgers don't look like that. Could be a "Falling down" moment.

Still / books ticket to America and brings waist 38" with me. :D

Its as close you can get to an actual chipper in America! They cut the potato's in the restaurant, and the burgers are way way way nicer than Mc D's.

The others I would like to see cross over are Taco Bell and Jack in the Box...plenty of good memories from Santa Cruz!

Ah but you see I have plans to either drive the old Route 66 next year or do a West Coast Drive including Vegas so I plan on stopping off in many many fat inducing spots.

I may possibly even try to follow a "Man Vs Food(Discovery/Food Channel)" themed route If I was brave enough.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 563 ✭✭✭BESman

Eddie Rockets is a rip off of Johnny Rockets in the US.

• Advertisement

BESman wrote: »

So is the D4 Accent / North Circular Road Accent but you learn to live with it. ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,279 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

Skottoman wrote: »
    As an American who travels to Europe fairly often, It saddens me to see the crap fast food stuff from America invading the rest of the world. I avoid it here as much as I can.

What other country has invaded America with their chains of fast food? None really... So when I'm in Europe, and I stand on a corner and see a Starbucks, McDonalds, KFC and Pizza hit on each corner, it's a real bummer...

I'll actually be visiting Limerick next week, and will be avoiding any "American" fast food stuffs....

Oh, to stay relevant, even the quality of the McD's over here vary widely. From nasty scummy, badly designed ones, to posh ones that play classical music and serve pastries and coffee.

Cheers,
    Skottoman

You will just love the local delicacy of the Chicken Hut so. :D

Burger King drive thru is more convenient for some:

bk%20in%20limerick.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,853 ✭✭✭Poxyshamrock

Have tried Johnny Rockets and it's not anything as nice as Eddie's

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 398 ✭✭IsaacWunder

I'll never forget the queues when the McDonald's in the Crescent opened. Reminded me of the images of the queues outside the first McDonalds in Moscow in the 90's. Thousands of Russians lining up to literally get their first taste of capitalism.

• Advertisement

Except those Russians had to pay around €100 for a meal in McDonalds. I remember my father being over there in the "ERA" and the company used to take clients out for Dinner to McDonalds. :confused:

I'll never forget the queues when the McDonald's in the Crescent opened. Reminded me of the images of the queues outside the first McDonalds in Moscow in the 90's. Thousands of Russians lining up to literally get their first taste of capitalism.

There were major traffic jams when KFC first opened in Galway a year or two ago. Some society we live in.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 667 ✭✭✭Cherrycoke

I'd love a Carls Junior here, mmmm greasy monster burger heaven :P

Cherrycoke wrote: »

There was a place in Amsterdam that did a Hunga Busta Burger but we sheepishly asked for the Double Busta Hunga Burger and even the guy said "NO WAY MAN"(likely stoned). These massive massive massive massive massive burgers arrived. I swear they were 18oz burgers or something.

One of the lads managed to finish mine and another lads and then proceeded to eat a dessert. :eek:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,612 ✭✭✭bullets

Myself and a few lads from work have our Dirty Monday each week where
    we head down to the Crescent for Junk food, not sure if its me getting old
    but as much as I love the taste of utter crap unhealthy food my stomach can barely take it these days. We've kinda gone through phases of going to different places at this stage.

Mc Donalds
    The Drive through used to be fast and get priority but its just as fast
    these days to walk to the counter as a lot of the time people end up parking
    while waiting for the food.

Some of the staff are there quite a while now, and are chatty and friendly
    as in some of them will have a bit of banter with you. And there is an even
    mixture of Irish and Non Irish people working there.

Personally I love the taste of the ordinary cheeseburgers, and love chicken nuggets with BBQ sauce. 1/4 pounder I love too. Everything else I cant stand. I've tried a chicken salad there before and heard with the sauce its got more calories than the burgers.

KFC.
    The food in KFC at least is nearly always ready so when you pay you get what you ordered straight away (Unlike McD's and other places)
    The staff when I first went there I could not understand what they were asking me due to the accents so it took me a while for my ears to tune in
    or I got into the routine of knowing what questions they were asking me and I could answer regardless of if I could understand the person or not.
    I could be wrong but KFC staff seem to be exclusively non-Irish. I dont think
    I've ever been served by a Paddy or someone with an local accent.
    Nothing wrong with this, just making the observation.

Wicked Zinger meal with Gravy while nice, the gravey messes with my
    insides and I've found one more than one occasion by the time I get home
    from work I'm running to the Loo as whatever is in it, runs right through ya.

Eddy Rockets.
    I hate this place, but its the place where the Lads seem to want to go constantly and they seem to think the food is great.

I hate the way you have to wait by a bloody sign and cant just walk in and decide to sit where you want. I hate the way there is an expectation of giving the girls a tip simply because they take your order and ask if the junk food was alright. (Dont tip in McDonalds or KFC why is Eddy Rockets so special??) I find the food horrible and overpriced.
    I hate the way you have to wait bloody ages for the food to actually arrive.

A tender meal I got. I was given 2 small tenders chicken strips, fries and a coke and ended up paying a tenner or something.

A redbasket appears to be way better value getting 2 tenders, 2 mini burgers, fries and potato salad.....the catch is here you dont get a drink so end up paying extra for that.

I hate the routine you have to go through where a waitress give you
    this false niceness, false smiles, and the automatic question "is everything alright for you, do you want anything else" when you've a burger shoved down your gob and in the middle of chewing. Most of the staff are not Irish,
    but their english is great and you can understand them perfectly, there is one Irish lad there and he looks miserable and you barely get a grunt out of him, he almost looks like he would fall asleep on his feet.

O'Briens
    Over priced sandwich bar thats always busy and very hard to get a seat!
    However I did get an awesome toasted bagel, and the tea actually tastes like tea!! and it feels like your somehow not eating junk.

The New Italian place that used to be spurs. Another Cringe type place.
    Wait at the door until we show you to a seat type of place.
    Wait ages for food that tastes like you've just microwaved Tesco Pasta Bake.
    Waitress that Opens your bottle of coke and pours it into the glass for you as if it was expensive wine makes me uncomfortable as a customer and feels like one of these artificial gestures to encourage you to tip or to pretend the service is better in some way.

The staff there I've noticed and also when it was spurs were a mixture of
    Irish and non Irish staff who had great language skills so say if tourists from
    other countries arrived in to eat, one of the waitresses there would a lot of the time be able to speak to them in their own native Language.

Subway. Closed down, re-opened and now is opening a 2nd unit.
    Have not been there is a while, Food tasted lovely, You got the food
    ultra fast, but the seating was horrid absolutely horrid.

Burgerking out in the Parkway was someplace we visited when not at the Crescent. Another place I hate.
    The place always is deserted, looks very run down, and you wait ages
    for the food. When you get it the burgers I've found in the fewimes I've been there have been barely luke warm, and the meat feels dry and tough.

What's really annoying for the money you pay in these fast food joints you could just as easily
    goto Russells, The Unicorn, or Frans and get a better value meal for a tenner or 11 yo yo's
    sit where ya want and still get great service.

First world problems :o

bullets wrote: »

Eddy Rockets.
    I hate this place, but its the place where the Lads seem to want to go constantly and they seem to think the food is great.

I hate the way you have to wait by a bloody sign and cant just walk in and decide to sit where you want. I hate the way there is an expectation of giving the girls a tip simply because they take your order and ask if the junk food was alright. (Dont tip in McDonalds or KFC why is Eddy Rockets so special??) I find the food horrible and overpriced.
    I hate the way you have to wait bloody ages for the food to actually arrive.

A tender meal I got. I was given 2 small tenders chicken strips, fries and a coke and ended up paying a tenner or something.

A redbasket appears to be way better value getting 2 tenders, 2 mini burgers, fries and potato salad.....the catch is here you dont get a drink so end up paying extra for that.

I hate the routine you have to go through where a waitress give you
    this false niceness, false smiles, and the automatic question "is everything alright for you, do you want anything else" when you've a burger shoved down your gob and in the middle of chewing. Most of the staff are not Irish,
    but their english is great and you can understand them perfectly, there is one Irish lad there and he looks miserable and you barely get a grunt out of him, he almost looks like he would fall asleep on his feet.

O'Briens
    Over priced sandwich bar thats always busy and very hard to get a seat!
    However I did get an awesome toasted bagel, and the tea actually tastes like tea!! and it feels like your somehow not eating junk.

What's really annoying for the money you pay in these fast food joints you could just as easily
    goto Russells, The Unicorn, or Frans and get a better value meal for a tenner or 11 yo yo's
    sit where ya want and still get great service.

First world problems :o

I would agree with the Eddie Rockets opinion. We used to joke that you'd need your mortgage going in the door. So overpriced its not even funny. Some of the food is quite good though. The only reason I'd go now is for the Oreo malts, they're unreal. The one out by the Travel Lodge is the best I've been to. Staff don't annoy ya much. Some of the staff in the Galway branch are rude.

O'Briens is another place I've never really understood the appeal of. Its overpriced, there isn't really anything unique about it and its always busy. Like they're just sandwiches. I know Subway are sandwiches but they have unique sandwiches on the menu. The stuff in O'Briens you could get in any deli really.

I often question the value of fast food restaurants compared to some higher quality eateries like Russels and others you've mentioned. For example, Chocolat offer a nice meal like a wrap and fries for €6.50. A Big Mac Meal or 12 inch sub would cost more. There are so many great early bird deals in fine restaurants around town too.

• Registered Users Posts: 55 ✭✭diol07

Beer Baron wrote: »
    Unfortunately it is not and the reason is because there is a broken white line. Most people with common sense would realise this broken white line is for traffic wishing to cross over to the surgery/vet but those without common sense, ignoring the roundabout, hold up the entire lane of traffic trying to cross the road.
    I drive in there almost every day and any driver with half a brain doesn't need to hold any traffic up when making the turn. You just edge over to the white lined space on the road, wait and turn. No traffic held up either way.....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,475 ✭✭✭✭cson

Just to temper this by saying I spent the summer in the USA so a result of laziness I have rather extensive experience of their fast food outlets. My McDonalds meal over there was buying the $1 Salad and $1 McChicken, cutting up the latter burger, tossing it into the salad, bit of cesar dressing, few croutons and away you go. $2 couldn't be bet for filling a gap - they're Menu Chicken Cesar Salad is something like $5/6.

Anyway...
    I'm still waiting for Taco Bell, White Castle and Windy's to make it over the water....

Taco Bell is mediocre, if I was to bring a Mexican franchise restaurant to Ireland it'd be Chipotle.

White Castle I liked, notwithstanding this it is the filthiest food I came across in my time in the States. Absolutely caked in grease and fat.

Wendy's is tied 1st for my favourite fast food place. Burgers are top notch and their version of the McFlurry [Frosty] is 10 times better than said McFlurry. <3 Wendy's.
    The only one I am waiting for is In 'n' Out Burger! That place is heaven!!

I liked this place too. Can only get it in Cali/Nevada area but it is one of the nicer fast food places I've eaten - think a way more relaxed and tastier version of Eddie Rockits. Love that 50s vibe off the place. Afaik all the food comes from a distribution centre no more than 2hrs away to ensure freshness.
    Cherrycoke wrote: »

Had it in Vegas. A bit meh tbh. Its like Wendy's, only worse.

Chick-Fil-A is my tied 1st favourite restaurant with Wendy's. Really really nice chicken, waffle fries [yum!] a ton of sauces and just really great service. Doesn't open on Sundays either! -> Owners are big Christians. The non-opening on Sundays caught me out and annoyed me a few times.

You'll never go near Subway again if you have any of the following; Potbelly's, Jimmy Johns, Bon Appetit. Sandwiches = yum.

I'm hungry.

diol07 wrote: »
    I drive in there almost every day and any driver with half a brain doesn't need to hold any traffic up when making the turn. You just edge over to the white lined space on the road, wait and turn. No traffic held up either way.....

You mean you stop with part of your car on the other side of the road, or on the Chevrons(the parts of the road you CANNOT cross or stop on)?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,401 ✭✭✭Nonoperational

bazz26 wrote: »
    Haven't darkened the door of a McDonald's in about 8 years. Absolutely terrible food. Would not even touch their "healthy" food. If I drank coffee it was also be the last place I would buy it from.

Absolute bollox. They're coffee is quite good and their fast food is excellent for what it is.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,909 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

gpf101 wrote: »
    Absolute bollox. They're coffee is quite good and their fast food is excellent for what it is.

Whatever McDonald's is, I'd never describe it as "excellent". Pros: it's cheap and quick, and it usually tastes nice for a while. Cons: it's cheap and, not very nutritious, and leaves you unsatisfied an hour later when you're bloated and looking for real food.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,757 ✭✭✭pappyodaniel

I remember the queues when Supermacs opened in Shannon, as it was the first popular food franchise to settle in the town. That's at least 12 years ago now and I'm trying to think what's in the town now....
    McDonalds
    Apache Pizza
    Subway
    Eddie Rockets
    (recently closed)
    4 Chinese take-aways
    an Indian
    a Traditional Fish&Chip shop
    Kebab shop

There's probably more but I can't think of any.

Pre Supermacs, There was one fast food joint called 'Wings' and a Chinese in the town centre, with another Chinese in Drumgeely and that was it.

In the village of Sixmilebridge we have a 1 Indian, 1 Chinese, 1 Thai, 1 Pizza and 1 Fish & Chip shop. It seems like a lot for a small village. A few years ago to make a few extra bob I used to do deliveries for one of the fast-food places and after a while I noticed it was mainly the same people who were ordering the food, some people were eating junk food everyday...:eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 101 ✭✭FCUM

how could you eat that **** everyday and not feel terrible? also it doesnt even work out to be that cheap either. some lazy bastards about

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,757 ✭✭✭pappyodaniel

FCUM wrote: »
    how could you eat that **** everyday and not feel terrible? also it doesnt even work out to be that cheap either. some lazy bastards about

6636.jpg

Whatever McDonald's is, I'd never describe it as "excellent". Pros: it's cheap and quick, and it usually tastes nice for a while. Cons: it's cheap and, not very nutritious, and leaves you unsatisfied an hour later when you're bloated and looking for real food.

There must be something wrong with the people that are hungry after an hour! that never happens me!

There must be something wrong with the people that are hungry after an hour! that never happens me!

Depending on what you get in McDonald's, its actually not that filling. Supermacs and the others would tend to leave you stuffed a bit longer. Still like it though.

My Henry Street Subway review will follow next Tuesday in a segment known as "Takeaway Tuesday" - stay tuned...

Takeaway Tuesday!

:)

gpf101 wrote: »

If you really believe that then I think you really need to start broadening your choice of food and drink.

bazz26 wrote: »
    If you really believe that then I think you really need to start broadening your choice of food and drink.

A trip to Gourmet Burger is in order for that poster. Now THAT is a burger and chip to write home about. Hmmmm onions rings. :D

All I get tonight is quiche from a box. :(

• Advertisement
Advertisement