Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Second undergrad degree

Options
  • 06-09-2011 12:50pm

I graduated with a degree in computer science in 2010. I went through school with undiagnosed ADHD, which means I didn't have an interest in anything I did during that time and I just wanted to get it over with. While I am somewhat interested in computer science and I could easily get into a masters or PhD programme, it just doesn't really appeal to me in terms of a life-long career.

Since I was half-way through my course I've really wanted to study natural sciences, especially chemistry and biochemistry, but I stuck with the course so my time invested wouldn't go to waste, planning to move into science once I finished. For this field, I need to go back and study at an undergrad level again. I did not do any relevant subjects for the Leaving Cert and given my disability, my mature status and the fact that I already have an honours degree, I really don't know what to do in terms of financial support.

Does anyone have any advice? (I've read the stickies.)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,157 ✭✭✭srsly78

The state won't pay for you to get a second degree, no free fees, no BTEA. As a mature student you will have no problem getting into any course, the only question is how you are gonna finance it. You made a mistake completing your course unfortunately. I dropped out of comp sci years ago, and was able to use btea years later to get a science degree as you want.

• Registered Users Posts: 710 ✭✭✭Feu

Hi Coconut, I sort of did a similar thing, so you're not the only one! I;ve just completed my second undergrad, so it can be done :) i think you're lucky that you have a strong idea of what you want to do, and there's plenty of support here on the mature-o forum.

First off, you're not mature til you're over 23. Once you hit that, then you can apply as a mature student. Although not having done sciences for LC might be a slight disadvantage for you in actually doing the course, i don't think it will be a deal-breaker for most course admissions. Afterall, many mature students didn't for example complete LC, or are a long time passed when they did it!

If anything, the fact that you have recently completed a degree will make you a shoe-in for your future course. You're displaying an ability to work and learn [and succeed!] in the current academic world. So that shouldn't be a problem. I wouldn't look at the fact that you completed your first degree as a mistake, but as learning what wasn't right for you, and what really is. Particularly in terms of your ADHD, you possibly struggled in the beginning but have probably come up with some good strategies which play to your strengths [assumptions, sorry!] Also, knowing about computers never goes a-miss!

Let me say, financially it is a real struggle to pay for the course each year, and to pay living expenses etc on top of that. But for me, that was far out-weighed by the enjoyment i got from the course, the satisfaction of doing something that was really right for me, and which i did well in. Some people disagree with me on this, that it is not worth it, but my response is that i'm going to be working for long enough, so i should be doing something that i enjoy if possible. /tangent

I was able to pay for my first 3 years with a combination of savings, small inheritance!, graft, working the summers etc. For 4th year i got a loan for the fees. If you can get say a parent/guardian to guarantee your loan, it should be easy enough to secure. I would advise being in a financially stable position before commencing a course. This will lead to less stress in your critical first year, when you just need to be concentrating on your course, and settling in. And in my mature student interviews one of the main discussions was around how was i going to fund my course. So they willl be aware that you need to pay for it too. The main reason matures drop out in my experience is financial, and your college/department don't want that to happen.

The only remaining avenue for some potential funding may be related to your condition. it may be that you could apply for some sort of scholarship from a mental health support organisation, or that one of the courses you apply for may be in a college that has weird scholarships [like Trinity - e.g. specific scholarship for third year mature student ladies doing a science course!]

also by speaking to e.g. your local community welfare officer they may be able to advise you of any supports you may be entitled to given your disability.

would you consider studying part-time/by night/distance? could be worth looking into :)

Advertisement