Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Scientists start stem cell Zoo..

• 06-09-2011 1:02pm
    Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,425 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭

Wasn't sure if this is exactly the right forum so feel free to move....

So scientists have created stem cells for endangered species which could prevent the extinction of quite a few animals.
    "The best way to manage extinction is to preserve species and habitats but that is not always working," says Oliver Ryder, director of genetics at the San Diego Zoo and co-leader of the study, said in a statement.

"Stem cell technology provides some level of hope that they won't have to become extinct even though they have been completely eliminated from their habitat."

That is the case for the northern white rhinoceros, one of the first two animals included in Ryder's new 'stem cell zoo'.

Only seven specimens remain in existence, all in captivity and two in San Diego.

This could lead to being able to repopulate a species through invitro fertilisation or even making new sperm and egg from scratch, because they're using stem cells from previously dead animals they would also have a healthier gene pool than if it was just two animals left to reproduce, and it's certainly more ethical than cloning.

I'm at two minds about it. If it leads to animals being repopulated in the wild then I'm all for it but if it's a case of only making a few to keep in a zoo just so they're technically not extinct then I would be against it. There's also the issue of habitat loss which is probably one of the main causes of extinctions in the first place, if we can't stop habitat loss then this could be a completely pointless endevour IMHO.

What do you folks think?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,279 ✭✭✭Adam Khor

Mickeroo wrote: »

I'm at two minds about it. If it leads to animals being repopulated in the wild then I'm all for it but if it's a case of only making a few to keep in a zoo just so they're technically not extinct then I would be against it. There's also the issue of habitat loss which is probably one of the main causes of extinctions in the first place, if we can't stop habitat loss then this could be a completely pointless endevour IMHO.

What do you folks think?

I agree. I'm pretty sure all those animals would rather be extinct that locked up in zoos. They belong to the wild; if we don´t protect their habitat so that the newly bred animals have a place to go, then there's no point in trying to save those species- the result will simply be that the last members of said species will lead miserable lives outside of their natural environment, and eventually go extinct anyways.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,564 ✭✭✭✭steddyeddy

I think its a brilliant idea! The technologies there so why not use it.

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,425 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

steddyeddy wrote: »
    I think its a brilliant idea! The technologies there so why not use it.

It's a great way to boost populations for sure and would be more effective than just making an animal protected. I really hope they put it to use properly though and don't just use it to create living breathing museum displays if you know what I mean. Imagine if they managed to get a small population of White Rhino up and running in the wild again.

now if only they could create some dinosaur stem cells.....:pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,564 ✭✭✭✭steddyeddy

Mickeroo wrote: »
    It's a great way to boost populations for sure and would be more effective than just making an animal protected. I really hope they put it to use properly though and don't just use it to create living breathing museum displays if you know what I mean. Imagine if they managed to get a small population of White Rhino up and running in the wild again.

now if only they could create some dinosaur stem cells.....:pac:

Well in a lot of cases protection is failing badly. Basically a lot of the protection for some endangered animals extends to armed protection as is the case for the rhino and gorilla for example. The protection is there in most cases, its just not enough.

Advertisement