Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Extra Loud Freewheels. (why?)

• 06-09-2011 1:03pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 6,408 ✭✭✭

Just bought a huge mtb rear hub and I've noticed it sounds like one of the fishing reels in Jaws when it freewheels. Also while out for a spin with a mate recently his campy freewheel is stupidly loud.

What's with this? Are they designed to be extra loud because it's cool or something? Different set up's for greasing? More or less pawls ? What?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 200 ✭✭Piercemeear

It's to make you feel bad for not pedalling.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 934 ✭✭✭monkeyslayer

i love the sound of a noisy freewheel

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,408 ✭✭✭studiorat

no, horrible noise. Give me a quiet whirr any day.

But why is it? What's different with the build of them?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,245 ✭✭✭check_six

Watch me overtake you.
    Listen as I put in no effort.
    Taste the bitter tears of defeat!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,966 ✭✭✭cantalach

The main purpose of a noisy freewheel on a road bike is to make sure that everyone is aware you have Campagnolo wheels.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,547 ✭✭✭funkyjebus

I love the sound as well.

They also make a great bell / warning sound as some stoopid pedestrian is about to step onto the road in front of you - the sound of a Fulcrum freaks them out.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 25,189 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

I always thought it was to signify how much you paid for them to other cyclists ie the louder the noise the more they cost.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,059 ✭✭✭victorcarrera

It is a combination of the type of metal used in the hub body, the pawl spring tension, the amount and viscosity of the lubricant used, presence or absence of a water seal and to some extent the mass and shock absorption of the cassette. Of all that I have the aluminum hub bodies are most audible.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 585 ✭✭✭ravendude

Possibly due to bigger/stronger pawls not 100% sure.

Can't beat the "zzzzzzzz" sound though when you're hitting a jump, - nothing better :D

ravendude wrote: »
    Possibly due to bigger/stronger pawls not 100% sure.

Can't beat the "zzzzzzzz" sound though when you're hitting a jump, - nothing better :D

That's it though. I like those little moments of silence between the cacophony of a fast descent. WHOOSH! - Silence - CRASH/Clunk/Boing!!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,966 ✭✭✭cantalach

I guess the freewheel sound must be particularly important to DH types, seeing as you're essentially not actually cycling at all... *stir* *stir*

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 934 ✭✭✭monkeyslayer

its great when you start to catch on someone unawares on a climb, just pushup right behind them and take the foot off the gas and let them notice the momentary whirr of your freewheel in surprise 'he's not even pedaling' they think, and then boom... watch me dissapear... well, until said gas runs out and i'm gloriously overtaken, to my shame, about 200m up the road...

cantalach wrote: »
    I guess the freewheel sound must be particularly important to DH types, seeing as you're essentially not actually cycling at all... *stir* *stir*

Can't hear it with a helmet on, they love it though don't they? Maybe it's to pretend you're on a motorbike!

Maybe it's to remind them to pedal clockwise.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,277 ✭✭✭kenmc

If you can hear your own freehub you're not going fast enough. Increase speed to 340 m/s, et voila, problem solved.

• Registered Users Posts: 370 ✭✭godihatedehills

studiorat wrote: »
    Just bought a huge mtb rear hub and I've noticed it sounds like one of the fishing reels in Jaws when it freewheels. Also while out for a spin with a mate recently his campy freewheel is stupidly loud.

What's with this? Are they designed to be extra loud because it's cool or something? Different set up's for greasing? More or less pawls ? What?

I'd be interested too. I had aksiums and now have what look like rebranded khamsins. Both entry level road racing wheels but from different manufacturers, the biggest difference I can see is the incredibly irritating sound made by the latter. Why, why??!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,037 ✭✭✭kuro_man

....Maybe it's to pretend you're on a motorbike!

like a card that flicks on the spokes

Advertisement