Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

English centre in Limerick

• 06-09-2011 1:10pm
    Registered Users Posts: 101 ✭✭

Alright lads, not sure if this is the best place to put this but anyway. Does anyone know if Limerick has an English language centre? I mean one for refugees/asylum seekers etc. I have searched a bit but only found one which is a paid one. The reason I ask is that I'm interested in doing volunteer work, and maybe attempt to get the presidents award also. Such a volunteer oppertunity would suit me as I would like to teach English abroad after I graduate also, so I think it would be a good oppertunity. So if anyone knows give me a shout.

Ta,
    FCUM

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,501 ✭✭✭Delphi91

FCUM wrote: »
    Alright lads, not sure if this is the best place to put this but anyway. Does anyone know if Limerick has an English language centre? I mean one for refugees/asylum seekers etc. I have searched a bit but only found one which is a paid one. The reason I ask is that I'm interested in doing volunteer work, and maybe attempt to get the presidents award also. Such a volunteer oppertunity would suit me as I would like to teach English abroad after I graduate also, so I think it would be a good oppertunity. So if anyone knows give me a shout.

Ta,
    FCUM

Not sure of the details, but on Clare Street heading towards town (from the Parkway), just after the lights at the A1 bar, there's a banner on the left hand side advertising a School of English.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,672 ✭✭✭✭osarusan

Your best bet might be Limerick County VEC Limerick City VEC,or NALA.

Can't see anything about specific ESOL classes on any website though, despite ESOL being mentioned.

EDIT: On the City VEC page here, ESOL classes are mentioned. Info about volunteering here.

• Registered Users Posts: 101 ✭✭FCUM

Delphi91 wrote: »
    Not sure of the details, but on Clare Street heading towards town (from the Parkway), just after the lights at the A1 bar, there's a banner on the left hand side advertising a School of English.
    i'll have a look as i'll be driving that way this evening. the fact that it is advertising means it is probably a paid school. thanks anyway.
    osarusan wrote: »
    Your best bet might be Limerick VEC or NALA.

Can't see anything about specific ESOL classes on either website though, despite ESOL being mentioned.
    ill have a look at that, thanks. even working somewhere where they deal with adult literacy (native speakers i mean) would i appeal to me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,672 ✭✭✭✭osarusan

FCUM wrote: »

ill have a look at that, thanks. even working somewhere where they deal with adult literacy (native speakers i mean) would i appeal to me.
    make sure you re-read my now edited post.

Thanks a million mate! Much appreciated.

• Advertisement

hmm seems emails wont send to their address. will have to ring them later

found a different address. sure everyone was worried :p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,210 ✭✭✭gaf1983

I know when I was in college the Mary I/UL St Vincent de Paul Society organised English lessons and a homework club for asylum seekers (those who were studying in schools in Limerick) so it might be worthwhile getting in touch with St V de P.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,210 ✭✭✭gaf1983

You should get on to Doras Luimni too:

https://www.facebook.com/event.php?eid=281384008544454

got a phonecall from the adult education service today, meeting the guy next week. think it is related to that actually. thanks for the help

• Advertisement
Advertisement