Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Looking for Yaris Parts

• 06-09-2011 1:24pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,208 ✭✭✭

Hey guys,

I have a fault code in my 00 Toyota Yaris (998cc) of "P0171 System Too Lean Bank 1". I believe this is a lambda sensor. I have already put a second hand front sensor in but the fault code is still appearing, so it looks like I'll have to get a new one. Is the front one the one I need to get?

If anyone has any ideas where I can get these a bit cheaper it would be great, I tried Mick's Garage but it is expensive (I know this is the normal price they go for though). I also need a window regulator for the drivers side, I'm willing to go second hand for this.

Can anyone help?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,223 ✭✭✭Nissan doctor

If it is the lamda sensor(there may be other things causing that problem) then get a genuine Toyota one as spurious one don't always work on the yaris.

But I'd recomment further proper diagnosis before you order anything.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,189 ✭✭✭PADRAIC.M

I see this fault ALOT! It's your airflow meter, about€150 genuine..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,142 ✭✭✭shamwari

PADRAIC.M wrote: »
    I see this fault ALOT! It's your airflow meter, about€150 genuine..

Any time I've seen fuel trim error's on Corsa C's it's been down to dodgey or non-genuine MAF's too...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,208 ✭✭✭coco_lola

The fault code goes away for about 2-3 days when the MAF is cleaned, so is it possible its that?

coco_lola wrote: »
    The fault code goes away for about 2-3 days when the MAF is cleaned, so is it possible its that?

Its likely alright.

The reason I was saying about having it diagnosed properly is that fault could be due to the lamda not working or it could be that it is working and just reading an incorrect ratio coming from the engine... meaning a different problem which on the yaris, as the lads said, is mor often then not the MAF sensor.

• Advertisement

I took it to my mechanic and this was the code that came up. If it helps, the car is exhibiting the following:

- "Chugging" and poor power when cold
    - Low idle revs (about 750rpm)
    - Rattling from the engine (which I thought might be the timing chain) - nothing heavy the car is still in good nick
    - Excess petrol burning

After a service in which he cleaned the MAF, the revs were idling higher and the car sounded much better.

The car has 82, 000 Miles on it and this light has been on for quite a while. Always goes away after an MAF cleaning. The light was off for 3 months at longest when the MAF was cleaned.

Spark plugs have been checked too!

My mechanic is in Limerick and I am in Dublin, I just wanted opinions before I take it to a mechanic and pay again to put an OBD into it!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 697 ✭✭✭jhud

I took it to my mechanic and this was the code that came up. If it helps, the car is exhibiting the following:

- "Chugging" and poor power when cold
    - Low idle revs (about 750rpm)
    - Rattling from the engine (which I thought might be the timing chain) - nothing heavy the car is still in good nick
    - Excess petrol burning

After a service in which he cleaned the MAF, the revs were idling higher and the car sounded much better.

The car has 82, 000 Miles on it and this light has been on for quite a while. Always goes away after an MAF cleaning. The light was off for 3 months at longest when the MAF was cleaned.

Spark plugs have been checked too!

My mechanic is in Limerick and I am in Dublin, I just wanted opinions before I take it to a mechanic and pay again to put an OBD into it!

http://www.obd-codes.com/p0171 this says clean the map sensor i would clean it yourself and then see how you go if it resolves problem for a few days then get a secondhand sensor or new if you check prices sometimes they can surprise you.

jhud wrote: »
    http://www.obd-codes.com/p0171 this says clean the map sensor i would clean it yourself and then see how you go if it resolves problem for a few days then get a secondhand sensor or new if you check prices sometimes they can surprise you.

Oh great thank you! For fear of sounding a bit stupid.... How would I clean it??

• Advertisement

TBH if its been cleaned this many times and still keeps throwing the fault then it needs to be replaced as the longer you leave the car running like this the more long term effects it will have on tyour engine.

What part of Dublin are you in?

I'm in Clontarf. If I cleaned it would it get by for another month or so until I get paid again?

I'm in Clontarf. If I cleaned it would it get by for another month or so until I get paid again?

The car will probably keep running but like I say the longer you leave it the more issues you can end up with.

Running too lean can destroy an engine:eek:

You're very close to me, I'd be happy to run a diagnostics on it, test the lamda and tell you exactly what needs to be changed...FOC.

PM sent

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,309 ✭✭✭VolvoMan

I also need a window regulator for the drivers side, I'm willing to go second hand for this.

I actually need two of these as well. The driver and now the passenger window are making a chattering sound when raised fully.

VolvoMan wrote: »
    I actually need two of these as well. The driver and now the passenger window are making a chattering sound when raised fully.

My window is actually stuck - I have to pull it up a little bit with my hands, press the button to bring the window up, pull it up a bit more... and so on... The window is full of fingermarks from my make up being on my hands :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,189 ✭✭✭PADRAIC.M

Hey Nissan doctor if you're going to check it, the maf should be around 1.30- 1.40 G/s usually when these are gone I get less than 1 or above 1.75. That's grams per second btw- thats with the Toyota diagnostic tool I have in case yours measures it different. ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 735 ✭✭✭sealgaire

hi, did cleaning the MAF sort the issue?

Please don't dig up an old thread
    If you have a question for the OP please send them a PM. Feel free to start a new thread detailing the problems you're having with your own car

Thanks
    colm_mcm

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement