Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Holiday to Australia

Options
  • 06-09-2011 1:57pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,208 ✭✭✭

My mother moved to Australia for work five months ago and I am hoping to fly over there for Christmas to see her. The only problem is with work I will not be able to take that many days of, excluding flight/travel time I would be over there for 2 weeks. Is it worth it to go for only 2 weeks for such a long journey? Obviously I feel it would be as I miss her very much, but if is 2 weeks enough to see what I need to see?

Also, I will have 2 days off between arriving in Ireland and returning to work, how jetlagged will I be?

If anyone has any ideas as to how I could locate cheap flights either comparison sites or direct flights, that would be great!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 921 ✭✭✭sonic.trip

coco_lola wrote: »
    My mother moved to Australia for work five months ago and I am hoping to fly over there for Christmas to see her. The only problem is with work I will not be able to take that many days of, excluding flight/travel time I would be over there for 2 weeks. Is it worth it to go for only 2 weeks for such a long journey? Obviously I feel it would be as I miss her very much, but if is 2 weeks enough to see what I need to see?

Also, I will have 2 days off between arriving in Ireland and returning to work, how jetlagged will I be?

If anyone has any ideas as to how I could locate cheap flights either comparison sites or direct flights, that would be great!

The Jetlag will knock you back a day or two either side of the journey also taking into account it takes 2 days to get there and back you may lose 4 days depending on how the jetlag affects you. Also the prices to fly around christmas will be pretty high. Anywhere from 15 Dec - Jan 20 will be huge. I find www.momondo.com to be really good.

I flew on the 21st January as that was the day the prices dropped, booked online myself with Singpaore and cost around 1400 euro return

• Closed Accounts Posts: 130 ✭✭andyjo

Jetlag will not be too bad going, once you get in to the sunshine + forget about the Irish winter you'll soon forget it.

Could be expensive enough then though

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,208 ✭✭✭coco_lola

I actually got offered a ticket over, hence why Im going, I wouldnt go otherwise :) But I still don't want them to pay too much, hence why Im looking at as many different sites as possible!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,208 ✭✭✭coco_lola

If anyone could give me advice on spending money too.. I have free accommodation and will mostly be cooking meals so that won't be factored in. I will be staying around Sydney so would like to know how much I would need for just under 2 weeks? I was hoping to save about 1200 euro, would that be enough?

Advertisement